PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much tuning can be done on factory pcm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much tuning can be done on factory pcm?

^ Like the title says. I was curious about things such as; can you have the fans programmed to turn on at an earlier time to match a lower thermostat, or can you delete the egr and o2 sensor codes from the stock comp? Things like that. If this has been asked and exhausted I apologize (please post a link with the discussion), guess I didn't use the search carefully enough
Also if i'm on the right track what else could you do with it before having to upgrade? Thanks for the help
Old 11-01-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on the program. Everything that you stated above can all be done with a basic handheld programmer. Once you get into programs such as EFILive and HP Tuners, there's A LOT more tables and things to edit. Here's a list of just the "Engine Calibration" folders available in EFILive. Most of these folders open into sub-folders which then have multiple tables.

Fuel
Air Pump
Barometer
Cat Converter
Purge Canister
Abuse Management
EGR
Engine Protection
Rev Limiter
Idle
MAF
Shift Light
Spark
Torque Limiting
Traction Control

Then there's "Engine Diagnostics, Transmission Calibration, Transmission Diagnostics, Fuel System, System, and Speedometer". Add the ability to run Custom Operating Systems (COS) and you will have way more then you know what to do with.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Teching In

go to hptuners.com. click on help on the top. that is the help file for the software and you can see allot of info in there, you'll be on overload at first but it's a start and you can see real screens
Old 11-01-2007, 05:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SSOTRUE
^ Like the title says. I was curious about things such as; can you have the fans programmed to turn on at an earlier time to match a lower thermostat, or can you delete the egr and o2 sensor codes from the stock comp? Things like that. If this has been asked and exhausted I apologize (please post a link with the discussion), guess I didn't use the search carefully enough
Also if i'm on the right track what else could you do with it before having to upgrade? Thanks for the help
On a Ls1 vehicle you can do all you listed easilly. As for how far there are people driving 1000RWHP cars with factory computers. So,yes they can handle alot.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how it slipped my mind before, but you can download the EFILive software for free. It will run in demo mode with no license. Click on the link below and check out the software for yourself.

http://download2.efilive.com/Softwar...666_657_60.exe
Old 11-02-2007, 06:42 AM
Staging Lane

550 at the rear wheels with a stock pcm,my tuner told me in order to go to the next level I would need a stand alone system.But the stock pcm could make
more power with additional mods,however the stand alone would make
fine tuning easier & make more power than stock.My cam is huge but the stock pcm,in my opinion is fine-after some finetuning it runs as smooth as
a stocker.Alot can be done with a stock pcm,in the hands of the right tuner.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Staging Lane

Thats awesome! Thanks everyone for the education! Ya I've been told about EFI Live with Roadrunner, but thats about an 1100 dollar mix. Pretty expensive for a car that I won't have my afr/comp (thats another 3grand) on for a couple of years, seeing as how i'll be working on an induction system/suspension/9'' ect ect. Well thats great to hear I had no idea of the capabilities of a stock pcm. I really appreciate it everyone, really can't thank you enough!!
-jeff

Shoot I forgot to ask, say I wanted to do an sd tune without the maf sensor, could an sd tune be performed on the stock pcm also?

O and thanks SHALLOW BAY for that link, way to go the extra mile LoL I'll be checking that out too.

Last edited by SSOTRUE; 11-02-2007 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HPTuners comes with enough credits to give you real time tuning for free with the stock PCM.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:22 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SSOTRUE
Thats awesome! Thanks everyone for the education! Ya I've been told about EFI Live with Roadrunner, but thats about an 1100 dollar mix. Pretty expensive for a car that I won't have my afr/comp (thats another 3grand) on for a couple of years, seeing as how i'll be working on an induction system/suspension/9'' ect ect. Well thats great to hear I had no idea of the capabilities of a stock pcm. I really appreciate it everyone, really can't thank you enough!!
-jeff

Shoot I forgot to ask, say I wanted to do an sd tune without the maf sensor, could an sd tune be performed on the stock pcm also?

O and thanks SHALLOW BAY for that link, way to go the extra mile LoL I'll be checking that out too.
Yes, the stock computers loves SD tunes