PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$100 to anyone who can give me the right.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sevanseriesta - I have a '99 M6 PCM laying around at work. It's got a "pro" ls1edit calibration in it, but otherwise it's bone stock. If you haven't found a PCM by Wendesday AM, send me a PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frost
No I'm saying that every PCM for the f-bod from 99-up can be used for your car.
Agreed. It's best to change the vin in the pcm, but not necessary. You can swap pcm's from car to car...I've done it...works fine. It's when you start swapping bcm's that you run into problems. Vats kills fuel and does so through the bcm.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Its simple enough to mark it and make a pointer. ESP trying to figure out a weird one like this.
I'm familiar with checking on the old big blocks.
Since our pissing match I looked at some of your posts, I mean over at least 6 to 8 message boards, you seem to know a bit.
How long do you think it would take you to get this peticular engine running?
Giving that you had it at your shop and had any part it might need.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Since our pissing match I looked at some of your posts, I mean over at least 6 to 8 message boards, you seem to know a bit.
A bit huh? I could figure it out in an hour. I make my living diagnosing cars. I don't replace parts.
The problem with most of the people on here, and most "techs" for that matter is a serious lack of a complete understanding of the fundamentals. Combine that with virtually no real knowledge of electronics, and even less knowledge of oscilloscope use, and most are lucky to ever diagnose any damn thing.
Most are limited to part swapping, hoping for the best, and lucking into stuff, never really knowing the how or why.
PS. I can hold my own for a washed up has been.

Last edited by edcmat-l1; 12-23-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bit huh? I could figure it out in an hour. I make my living diagnosing cars. I don't replace parts.
The problem with most of the people on here, and most "techs" for that matter is a serious lack of a complete understanding of the fundamentals. Combine that with virtually no real knowledge of electronics, and even less knowledge of oscilloscope use, and most are lucky to ever diagnose any damn thing.
Most are limited to part swapping, hoping for the best, and lucking into stuff, never really knowing the how or why.
PS. I can hold my own for a washed up has been.
I wish that lived closer that is for sure. I am so tired of this damn thing. I tore the entire engine harness off of it. Looked at every wire ( yes, I tore every damn wire loom off). tired to start it again and nothing. so i replaced the plugs, again, nothing. I checked to make sure that my pressure built back up after removing the fuel rails nothing. The last thing that it can be is the PCM. So I think. I will be so mad if that is not the issue.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Edited
Old 12-24-2007, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
sevanseriesta - I have a '99 M6 PCM laying around at work. It's got a "pro" ls1edit calibration in it, but otherwise it's bone stock. If you haven't found a PCM by Wendesday AM, send me a PM.

Does it show a Vaild VCM ID, VCM OS ID, and BCC on it. Is long as they are not as long as they are not these little " y" things with sideways colans on them then I can use it. Otherwise I can tune in 2 bar map!
Old 12-24-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm not exactly sure what you're refering to in the HPT lingo. Can you post a screen shot of it? Seems to me if you have jibberish in your PCM, that's probably a big part of the problem.

If you want to download EFILive, I can send you the tune that I pulled from the '99 PCM. Aside from the professional tune settings, everything about the PCM looked fine to me.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
I wish that lived closer that is for sure. I am so tired of this damn thing. I tore the entire engine harness off of it. Looked at every wire ( yes, I tore every damn wire loom off). tired to start it again and nothing. so i replaced the plugs, again, nothing. I checked to make sure that my pressure built back up after removing the fuel rails nothing. The last thing that it can be is the PCM. So I think. I will be so mad if that is not the issue.
These PCMs are very robust. I very very rarely see failures. Before you go replacing it, hook up your scanner, or your tuners scanner, and see if you have communication. Then take a look at the data stream and look for the information in my earlier post.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:50 AM
8 Second Club

Again go back to the basics. Sometimes with fuel injection it is common to just blame the electronics. Did you try to uncap the exhaust? I wouldn't suggest it, if it had not burned me before. I think it might be a little easier than tearing the loom off the engine harness. Yes PCM's from 99-01 can be swapped back and forth, yes the BCM controls the VATS via fuel pump. Another thing I would try is swapping injectors and or coils. But that comes from someone that has piles of parts laying around. Just because they are pulsing, doesn't mean that the fuel flows through them. Been there before. Do the plugs look like they have fuel on them when you remove them? But then again, starting fluid would narrow that down, and I know you tried that. Mighty mouse has a good point about the PCM needing voltage during cranking. I had issues with that when swapping over to Big Stuff 3. The PCM fuse under the hood supplies that. I still vote for checking the exhaust path.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
I'm not exactly sure what you're refering to in the HPT lingo. Can you post a screen shot of it? Seems to me if you have jibberish in your PCM, that's probably a big part of the problem.

If you want to download EFILive, I can send you the tune that I pulled from the '99 PCM. Aside from the professional tune settings, everything about the PCM looked fine to me.
Good File

Bad File
Old 12-24-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

the bottom file is what my OS looked like then Hptuners fixed it and made it look like the one on top. I am starting to wonder if that is what the problem is or was!

The only reason that I can not use the one below is becasue My Hptuners can not lock to it. I would have to Purchase Unlimited 2 bar and I just do not have the money for that.

Does this help!
Old 12-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Banned

Have you posted on HPTs forum?
EDIT: you just answered my question.
So, it wont run with either OS? What is the bottom one? Is that supposed to be your stock file? Have you hooked up the scanner yet to see what ya got, and dont got?
Old 12-24-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have never ever seen a timing chain jump teeth other than ones that had 100,000+ miles on them. AND there is no TDC mark on an LS1 balancer.

I got a question that will be ignored.
How was vats disabled?
Vats was disabled by going to into system, prndl equiped = none
column lock = not fitted
fail fuel cut css = 255
In security: Vats = none
Old 12-24-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have you posted on HPTs forum?
EDIT: you just answered my question.
So, it wont run with either OS? What is the bottom one? Is that supposed to be your stock file? Have you hooked up the scanner yet to see what ya got, and dont got?
I missed a bunch of posts so I am going back through trying to find yours. And I am answering everything that I can.

Also would I be able to use my scanner that comes with hp tuners or do I need to get like the tech 2 scanner!
Old 12-24-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh the bottom one is what My PCM looked like when I bought the car. I am thinking that it was tuned by someone else causeing it to look like this. I am not sure if it was was tuner locked or something like that.

I do know that I had GM flash this PCM 3 times. It never got rid of those little symbols. So I talked to Chris at Hptuners, and he fixed it to look like the one above. Now I am not sure if the car fired after that or not. THat was a long time ago.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
I missed a bunch of posts so I am going back through trying to find yours. And I am answering everything that I can.

Also would I be able to use my scanner that comes with hp tuners or do I need to get like the tech 2 scanner!
You can use your HPT scanner. I dont think theres much you'll need that it cant do.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

And what exactly do you want me to look for. Or better yet what should I be logging that will bettter help?
Old 12-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Banned

For starters, just your basics. RPM, inj pulse, and ign advance. That'll give ya an idea of 1, if its getting a crank signal, 2, if its trying to fire the coils, and 3, if its trying to pulse the injectors.
You can also set it up to log your crank and cam sensors too. I dont have my HPT fired up, so I cant tell you off hand how to set it up. I think you choose them in your pids, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I am going to try and log those, I am not sure if I am going to be able to do it today or not. I will try.

I really thank you for all of your help. Greatly appreciated

Quick Reply: $100 to anyone who can give me the right.....