PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing stock fuel pump for a 255 lph, do I need a new tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Changing stock fuel pump for a 255 lph, do I need a new tune?

Will I need a new tune/would I benefit from a new tune from changing out the stock fuel pump for a Walbro 255 lph in tank pump?

I am guessing most will say it won't be worth the cost, but thats not what I am interested in. I need to know if it would hurt me at all from doing it and not getting it re-tuned, or if it would benefit me any more power.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

no...
Old 01-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

It depends on what it does to your fuel pressure...if the fuel pressure is different, then you might need a retune. The PCM has no way of measuring/knowing the fuel pressure coming into the system.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just what ment said!
I changed my fuel pump and nothing else, pressure went way up and car ran very rich. I had to retune the ve table.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zmonsterjb
Just what ment said!
I changed my fuel pump and nothing else, pressure went way up and car ran very rich. I had to retune the ve table.
Why would it run rich though? Your fuel pressure regulator should keep the fuel pressure constant no matter what the pump is should it not? I am not sure on this, but as I understand it, the PCM will tell the regulator what fuel pressure is needed, then it is up to the pump to keep up with the demands.

Anyone have knowledge on this?
Old 01-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by CALL911
Why would it run rich though? Your fuel pressure regulator should keep the fuel pressure constant no matter what the pump is should it not? I am not sure on this, but as I understand it, the PCM will tell the regulator what fuel pressure is needed, then it is up to the pump to keep up with the demands.

Anyone have knowledge on this?
1. Stop.

The PCM doesn't tell the regulator what pressure to put out. The regulator is a mechanical piece that sits back in the tank and regulates the pressure at the fuel rails from the back of the car. From my personal experience, it doesn't do a good job of it.

2. Search.

There are a lot of people that report seeing higher rail pressure after switching to a higher output fuel pump.

3. Experiment.

Install a fuel pressure gauge that you can watch as you go WOT, and you might be surprised at what you see (most likely a drop in pressure at WOT). You can use that same gauge to see what your pressure is before the pump swap, and after. If the pressure has changed more than 1 psi or so, you need a retune.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Instead of Stop, Search and Experimenting, I'd rather just get the info from people that have experience on this and who would know (lol). You say "from your personal experience" the stock regulator doesn't keep fuel pressure constant. Can anyone else back this up? I guess I have never heard of the LS1 regulators not keeping fuel pressure constant.

There has to be evidence or someone who knows for certain that if by installing a new fuel pump it will change the fuel pressure for sure. If it does so in one car, it should do it in all cars given that everything is working properly. I'm not going to go buy a fuel pressure gauge and install it just to find out.

The whole reason I ask this is because I plan on getting a tune with mods I plan on doing in the spring, and I haven't decided if I am going to go with a 255 lph fuel pump yet or not. If it is a fact that by installing the pump after the tune it will throw the tune off, then I will just install it prior to the tune, however if it won't change anything, then I would rather do it later.

Does anyone else have info on this?

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
1. Stop.

The PCM doesn't tell the regulator what pressure to put out. The regulator is a mechanical piece that sits back in the tank and regulates the pressure at the fuel rails from the back of the car. From my personal experience, it doesn't do a good job of it.

2. Search.

There are a lot of people that report seeing higher rail pressure after switching to a higher output fuel pump.

3. Experiment.

Install a fuel pressure gauge that you can watch as you go WOT, and you might be surprised at what you see (most likely a drop in pressure at WOT). You can use that same gauge to see what your pressure is before the pump swap, and after. If the pressure has changed more than 1 psi or so, you need a retune.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Oh Jesus Christ...stop being lazy and search for the damned information. It is all on here if you just look...
Old 01-03-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

good thread!
Old 01-03-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

...nevermind
Old 01-03-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Oh Jesus Christ...stop being lazy and search for the damned information. It is all on here if you just look...
I have looked, nothing is specific for the question I am asking. You said yourself it may or may not change things.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
I have looked, nothing is specific for the question I am asking. You said yourself it may or may not change things.
That is the whole point of checking the fuel pressure. Nobody here can tell if and how much your stock pump is dropping pressure at WOT.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

For the record mine changed about 4-5 psi...
Old 01-03-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gametech
That is the whole point of checking the fuel pressure. Nobody here can tell if and how much your stock pump is dropping pressure at WOT.

Given that mine has been consistant in running well, it should act how they all should act given that they are running properly. This shouldn't be a "can't tell for sure" thing. Changing a good working stock fuel pump for a Walbro 255 lph will either increase your fuel pressure or it won't. I don't see how it can be a "maybe, but not for sure" thing.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:51 AM

easy way to figure this out is to call walbro and a see what they claim, I pretty sure that is one of the factors they look at when creating a pump.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Do you think that a pressure difference might only show up on a car with bigger rails or injectors, or maybe that a massed produced factory pump may drop a couple PSI on one car and not another. Or maybe that if someone had a nearly stock car as I assume you do that the only reason they put a 255 in is because their stock pump went bad and they couldn't check initial pressure? What are your exact mods-that could make a difference... maybe, but I'm not sure!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

The way I see it, the fuel pressure regulator should keep it at a constant fuel pressure. However, since you are not putting a stock pump back in, and one capable of a much higher flow rate, it is possible (and seems to be the norm from what I am hearing) that the stock fuel pressure regulator has a hard time regulating the fuel pressure to that of where the stock fuel pressure was with the stock pump.

Basically, I am going to get at tune after the fuel pump installation just to be on the safe side.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it will increase fuel pressure... and yes, it will make the car run rich... install it just before getting the tune - you will be fine for a short time of part throttle driving as the O2s will lean it out where it should be once it goes into closed loop... how's that for a straight answer
Old 01-08-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Yes, it will increase fuel pressure... and yes, it will make the car run rich... install it just before getting the tune - you will be fine for a short time of part throttle driving as the O2s will lean it out where it should be once it goes into closed loop... how's that for a straight answer
Thats pretty much what I am getting from most people. The car will have a cam that will need an immediate tune, so it probably will only be started at most un-tuned.

Quick Reply: Changing stock fuel pump for a 255 lph, do I need a new tune?