Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about tuning a Heads/Cam car with LS1 Edit

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Questions about tuning a Heads/Cam car with LS1 Edit

Mods if you need to know- GTP heads 10.9.1 compression, TR224/224 561.561 112 lobe, all the bolt ons, fms 30lb injectors and walbro 340 intank fuel pump, full exhuast with no cats.

Question #1. How do I recalibrate my SLP 85mm MAF?

Question #2. What do I change since I have ford 30lb. injectors?

Question #3. Anyone have info or tips I should know about with these mods?

Thanks, just want to save time and money on the dyno.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Tuning a H/C car with LS1 Edit, need help

TTT

Maybe someone can give me a link to what I can do?
Old 07-13-2003, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

So none of you guys have ever tuned a H/C car huh?
Old 07-13-2003, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might as well have asked for the complete human genome...

Your question is too broad, there are too many variables.....you start with logging data, then you see what your problems, then you start addressing them one by one.....

PS, lose the SLP maf....get a stock one.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

PS, lose the SLP maf....get a stock one.
Hows that?
And why should I lose the SLP, cant ls1edit recalibate it? Whats so bad about the slp maf
Old 07-13-2003, 06:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There have been quite a few posts about 30# injectors and LS1 edit. Do a search.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

There have been quite a few posts about 30# injectors and LS1 edit. Do a search.
It would be _really_ nice if they had a decent search engine ...

BTW, love the Sebring. I have a TD kit car now and was going to get a Sebring but got this 2000 Z28 first. The Sebring is going to have to wait a bit.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I see what you mean. I'm searching, but not running into the posts I want. I do know that you will have to change the injector flow table. When I fire mine up I'll be facing the same problems so I'll try to keep track of any usefull info and pass it on to you.

Here's one.

https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...rue#Post581416
Old 07-14-2003, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Questions about tuning a Heads/Cam car with LS1 Edit

Question #1: You have changed alot of things at once on your engine, so it is going to be difficult to get your MAF recalibrated exactly. Personally, I would just multiply the MAF table by 105% and call it a day. The SLP MAF is going to be a little less accurate (see less air) than your stock MAF, but it will still work. The important thing is that your fueling and timing are correct. We will take care of that on the next questions.

Question #2: To get the car set up for 30# injectors you are going to have to change your injector flow rate table. Not every car is the same, so you are going to have to mess with this table a bit. You are going to need to watch your LTerms with a scan tool to get this correct. Start off by multiplying your IFR table by 130%. Start the car up and let it run for a few minutes. Watch you LTerms. They will both start off at zero, but as the car warms up they will begin to shift. Give the car some gas and take the revs up and down. If you have done it correctly, then your LTerms (after a few minutes of running) will start off around -5% (+/- 2). When you blip the throttle they should shoot up to around +2 to +4. If your LTerms are not close to these boudaries, then you need to multiply your IFR table again. If your LTerms are too low (ie you have -15 instead of -5) then increase your IFR table in 5% steps (ie multiply by 105%) until you are starting off around -5 LTerms. If your LTerms are too high (ie you have +10 instead of -5) then decrease your IFR table in 5% steps (ie multiply by 95%). After each change be sure to let the car idle for a couple minutes before looking at your Lterms.

Question #3: Be sure to check your timing and knock retard while you are on the dyno AND on the street. With your setup you should be able to take your timing to 28 to 31 degrees at WOT. You should have zero KR on the street.
Make sure that your LTerms on the street are between -25% and +25% at all times. For the most power they shoud hang around -5% most of the time, but as long as they don't smack into the above mentioned boundaries you will be fine.
Make sure that your air to fuel ratio is around 12.5 to 13.2 on the dyno. Use your PE vs RPM table to obtain this.

Good Luck,
Kevin

Old 07-14-2003, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks

I have tried searching and searching, so far I found this out for injector flow rate table with ford 30lb injectors. This was about a 1 year old thread and wouldnt think things would change but does this sound right? I an new to all this so I dont know much about ls1 edit lol.

SVO 30's
4.61 4.64 4.66 4.70 4.72 4.75 4.78
4.80 4.84 4.85 4.89 4.92 4.94 4.97
4.99 5.03 5.04

heres the link
https://ls1tech.com/threads/showthre...;Number=311675

And I guess I will just go back to my stock descreened MAF.

Old 07-14-2003, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Those look like some good starter values for SVO 30#'s. In my experience, they will put your car a little on the lean side, so I usually start with slighly lower values (hence my recommendation above somewhere in the 4.3 area). Either way, you will have to do a couple flashes to get your Lterms right.

You can use your SLP maf, just make sure that you get your timing, fueling and LTerms straightened out. It just takes a little more effort with a larger MAF, but it can easily be done. No use throwing out your new purchase, you may as well use it if you think you can tune for it.

Good Luck,
Kevin
Old 07-15-2003, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I thought I would have to recalibrate the slp maf? Or just straightened out my timing, fueling, LTerms and that should take care of the maf?
Old 07-17-2003, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wicked, your in San Jose right?
If you want we can hook up and I can help you.
I am not a pro tuner but I know I can get you going on your tune.
I have efi-live and have been playing with edit on my and a buddy's car for quite a while now. Both cars being supercharged and I haven't blown either up as a matter of fact my buddy's just layed down 473/465 so I don't think we will have any problems with a heads/cam car.
Just shoot me a mail if you want some help.