Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I took a car to Maaco once. Never again. Good luck
Old 04-18-2009, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As already stated, this is a lesson learned. They have your car and your money( i can't imagine why they would ask for it all up front). They have nothing to work towards as far as any compensation so thats why they're taking their sweet time.

I wrecked my T/A a few years back and had about 4k in damage, the shop didn't ask a dime from me up front. They told me 4 weeks and done in 3.

I hope you get your car back the way you want it brother.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i learned many 4years ago never to say " take your time"
Old 04-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Launching!

dude, are you kidding? dont bother waiting for the finished product, because its gonna be terrible. get your car and go somewhere else.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ohhh man, your car is not going to be right dude sorry to say

demand your money and car back. Make sure to call the police when you are asking for your money back and explain the situation to them.

Good luck, keep us posted..
Old 04-21-2009, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Jesus even a used fender would be better then that repair, thats not even the correct way to fix that fender!! I always use good clean used factory parts
Old 04-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Teching In

I hear you guys The car is finally taking shape, but the fender must go!!!! It looks like a mickey mouse patch job.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Ok.....so on 5/12/09 I went to get my car and money outta this janky shop. Instead of putting up a fight like he normally does...he says ok, I will give you $1000 back and you can take it.:think: He asked me to write a note sayin that I picked it up...so I did and in it I stated that it was not a final binding agreement pending the result of the findings at the new shop. The check that he wrote me could not be cashed cuz....get this.....he didn't have enought mony in the bank to cover it......:wtf:

So I get a tow truck and get it moved to the new shop and when I dropped it of the guys had a look of disgust and said "oh my god!" The first thing he said upon looking at it was that the frame is still bent!! Then he laughed when he saw the rivets in my rt. fender and my hand-written estimate. He told me that he had to piece through all the stuff to see what the damage was and if there was any actuall fix....cool. When I returned the estimated cost was......wait for it........wait for it......$3200!!!:shrug: That on top of the $2000 that I was STILL out from the previous shop!! So I am thinking "what the hell could possibly add up to $3200?" The new guy says that he has to undo all the work that the old shop did because nothing was done to factory specs, the hood was not properly done, and there was STILL over $600 in parts that needed to be ordered.....HOLY ****!!!! That included cutting out the damaged frame, fixing it, and replacing it!!! He says that in 2 weeks or less...my car will look pristine and not to worry because once they get started on thursday, they won't quit til it's done.

The old shop says that he is entitled to the labor that he performed despite having fucked up and stating that if i didn't like the work then i don't pay......B.S.!!!! Now I am going to the new shop to get a copy of the estimate and show the old shop what has to be done. Though he did by some parts...he still needs to give me at least $1000 back...if not, then I am taking him to small claims for all of it!!

Pics are below. Let me know the deal.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

That really sucks man... I had a similar experience when I wrecked my mustang back when I was a teenager.

Besides claims court, I'd file it with the BBB and whoever else you can. I hope this 'new' shop turns out awesome, and makes it pristine as claimed.

Take Care
Old 05-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Angry

The shop called me early 5/15 cuz they found some shady biz. They took pics of the whole thing both when it arrived and during the tear-down and assessment. Some things I knew about on sight and some were explained:

Here is a pic of the rear bumper CETA mod. I ran my hand along the paint soon after it dried and noticed the lumps in the paint (gotta look close). There are multiple spots like this.

In the next pics...I noticed all the crap that was spread across the entire rear end of my car. At first, I thought it was bird crap or something like that, but I found out that it was actually paint!!! I was told that if it can't be buffed out, then it HAS to be repainted...even the tail lamp has this crap on it!!:no:

If you notice in the previous pics in the earlier post you can see the outer fenders already on the car, but this is what the the new shop found after removal for more assessments. The right inner fender was still bent and the left....YIKES!! Before they cut open the inner fender I was told that it was still bent and folded. It would have been easier for the old shop to just buy a new one.

The right side of this frame, while still partially bent, looks FAR better than the left. It's badly in need of work and the old shop claimed that this frame IS str8:thumbdn: The frame holes were slotted so as to "fit" any parts that would be attached i the future. You can also see the spot welding on the radiator retainer(?) but more on that to come.

Lastly....so far to date....the radiator retainer. This is pitiful at best!! In looking over this, I was told that the old shop not only did a poor job on the paint here (overspray on blk container that should have been covered and paint coming off top of retainer), but the welding was very shitty in that he had a bunch of spot welds and clump welds everywhere. The old shop also welded this thing in about 2" back from where it should be, and still maintains til this moment that he is entitled to keep the rest of the $2000 for parts and labor.....:no:!! He's about to get raped w/o the lube!!!

The new shop offered the owner at the old shop the chance to come in to his shop and they could go over ALL the details face to face, but the owner refused (no secret as to why).
Old 05-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

i cannot believe a shop would even think of doing this.g1 with the car
Old 05-18-2009, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

Old 05-18-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would be talking with a lawyer!
Old 05-18-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got shafted man
Old 05-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ethan[ws6]
I wrecked mine and it was estimated 6-7 thousand dollars damage (insurance claim) and even with the place I took it to taking their sweet *** time and getting all new parts painted installed aligned etc... I still had my car back in just under two months.. Threaten this guy with a lawyer..

yup my damage was almost identical to the OP's and it took them a little under two months to get it back, but i rushed them so the car had to go back like two more times for fitment and paint issues, finally when they got all the paint looking good i ended up dissasembling the whole front clip and putting it back together the right way, shimed the hood, front end and the lights it was a pain in the *** but now its finally back to the way it was and its finally semetrical again, but the **** they did to your front end is just wrong it looks like a kid tried to repair it, glad you went to another shop the fact that they are pointing stuff out to you and explaining what needs to be done to put the car back to OEM quality leeds me to beleive they will put your baby back together the RIGHT way, i feel your pain, but just think when you get it back it should be right. i would definately take the old shop to court see if the body shop you are dealing with right now can have someone go with you to be a witness if you have that the first shop won't have a leg to stand on. good job on documenting everything that will make a big difference in court.GL

Last edited by strokerblackhawk; 05-18-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 98silvertacrbn
+1, Most haggard repair..ever.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mattn
i cannot believe a shop would even think of doing this.g1 with the car
If this guy knew that he couldn't do the job then he had plenty time to say so!!! His excuse was that it was hard to find parts because of the car itself, but he then later turned around and showed me the book that details every piece and price!!! He was working on a 1999...not a 1969...Go fig!!

Last edited by mieux97; 05-19-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98silvertacrbn
I am going to file a small claim in the morning...right after I cash the check he gave me so he doesn't try to cancel it!! He made a check depo 30 min before I tried to cash the check and I haven't been able to cash in in 4-5 tries
Old 05-19-2009, 02:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by strokerblackhawk
yup my damage was almost identical to the OP's and it took them a little under two months to get it back, but i rushed them so the car had to go back like two more times for fitment and paint issues, finally when they got all the paint looking good i ended up dissasembling the whole front clip and putting it back together the right way, shimed the hood, front end and the lights it was a pain in the *** but now its finally back to the way it was and its finally semetrical again, but the **** they did to your front end is just wrong it looks like a kid tried to repair it, glad you went to another shop the fact that they are pointing stuff out to you and explaining what needs to be done to put the car back to OEM quality leeds me to beleive they will put your baby back together the RIGHT way, i feel your pain, but just think when you get it back it should be right. i would definately take the old shop to court see if the body shop you are dealing with right now can have someone go with you to be a witness if you have that the first shop won't have a leg to stand on. good job on documenting everything that will make a big difference in court.GL
I have heard everything from as little as 2 weeks to 2 months. Even the old shop said one...maybe two months, but came up with a goose egg!!
Old 05-19-2009, 04:07 AM
TECH Regular

Any shop that requires you to pre pay is not reputable. THey are using the money to pay something off. Something like this happend to my friend with a motorcycle and some sort of "private shop". Then they refused to give the bike or money back we ended up having to get a group of friends together and take the bike and what we considered to be worth the cash.

Quick Reply: Bulls**** Man!!!!