Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Crazytalk or Revolutionary?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazytalk or Revolutionary?

haha welll this is for the T/A guys. is there a way to make our fender vents functional? If I were to cut out holes from the rear of the fender well, creating an air tunnel leading out the fender vents,, would this relieve any brake heat or just make a big mess when dirt kicks up? would this cause drag? is there any way to make these things functional? ...IDEAS ANYONE?

EDIT: mods iuno if this thread applies for this section. feel free to relocate it like LCAs.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just wondering the same thing a few days ago. I was just under my car changing the oil and was looking around at things.

It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to run some flexible hose back to the center of the rotor so that the forced air travels through the vented vanes of the rotor. I think this is how nascar and similar sports do it. I know race cars usually have fans that draw the air as well but, for the few dollars it would cost to do straight pipes and some clamps and whatnot, I would be willing to try.

Can anyone think of a way to test the benefit? Some sort of thermometer to read the temp in the area?

And I bet it would make more brake dust float out of the area onto the wheels, heh.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

exactly what I was thinking ^^^ at least were on the same page... i waanted to know if it would cause drag at all though>? i guess we can test that out by taping yarn on the fender lol and seeing where it goes but...it woudl be easier if anyone can tell me yes or no... i've seen some Turdgens do this before... so hopefully someone can chime in w/ more statistics on this.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:19 AM
12 Second Club

Well are there any block off plates behind the empty holes? I can't remember, I'll go look.

Either way it has to cause SOME drag, but I can't imagine a 2-3" hose causing that much drag in comparison to a 2"x36" air dam sticking down or any of the other parts that cause turbulence.

Also, it really can't be a factor until 100-120ish MPH, below that the loss would be minimal. (I've heard the factory ram air, or any for that matter don't really play a part until 100+ MPH, I have no proof of that whatsoever).

I'm going to work on some ideas tomorrow before I head to work. I'll then see if I can get some parts at work (Lowe's) to rig up a tester. I'm thinking of rigging one side and not the other and then seeing how the temp varies on a spirited drive. I'll test how the left and right differ due to distance from the master first, that way there's a control.

Looks like we're the only ones with this innovative spirit, heh.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol it seems so. keep me posted on your progress.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

This is so far from Advanced Tech. Moving to the Pontiac section.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

All you would have to do is cut an opening in the fender liner, get some rubber silicone adhesive and attach a hose of some kind, and run it into the fender vents and make sure its all air tight. Stuf may come through, but its not like you never wash your car. You cant stop brake dust from getting on the wheels can you? But that doesnt mean you dont use your wheels lol
Old 07-05-2009, 08:03 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Spend the time & money on more worthwhile mods.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

would be nice to see some functional vents
Old 07-06-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The vents are supposed to let under hood air out, to keep pressure from building up.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Krom
The vents are supposed to let under hood air out, to keep pressure from building up.
through the fender? right... Pressure doesn't build up under the hood. At least nothing beyond an atmosphere.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice