Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Passenger Window?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Window?

So, the temperature here has hit below 30F and I noticed that my passenger side window is slower than the a dial-up turtle. This was working fine through the summer but is concerning at this point.

My son opened the window this week and it took 3 attempts to get the window to close, including some minor jiggling up and down on the rocker switch.

What is the right set of steps to go through on this? I have read the threads on window motor replacement as well as the rewiring and am wondering if I should skip ahead to that or whether this is just a minor lubrication/adjustment issue.

My goal is to get the window usable in as short a time as possible without throwing away money - I can decide to do something more invasive in the spring.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a new motor. Vatozone has them for like $60. They are a little cheaper including shipping on Amazon, for the same thing.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Any big difference in quality between the Dorman and the Balkamp?

Dorman on Amazon is $24 (and adding one more item kicks in free shipping).
Old 12-15-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cant tell you for sure. No idea.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

May be worth taking a look at this little kit.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2055
I too am having trouble with the passenger window, have brought this item, but not installed it just yet.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, I've got that kit too.
Haven't installed it yet.
I think you should probably replace the motors and consider getting that kit so you'll never have issues again.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, I've got that kit too.
Haven't installed it yet.
I think you should probably replace the motors and consider getting that kit so you'll never have issues again.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

I used this
http://www.autotrix.net/Product-Pass...Fix-Kit_1.aspx
My passenger window rolls up and down faster than my driver now. easy to install. Took me an hour because I had to change the motor also.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by STFU racing
I used this
http://www.autotrix.net/Product-Pass...Fix-Kit_1.aspx
My passenger window rolls up and down faster than my driver now. easy to install. Took me an hour because I had to change the motor also.
Finished my install today. Swapped out the motor and installed the Autotrix kit. I am impressed that it took you only an hour.

Things that made me triple check and slow down were:
  • Motor position was not aligned with the Autotrix install pics. Needed to carefully spot new holes.
  • Motor came with #6 screws that were 5/8" long. Two went in reasonably. I spent 30 minutes trying to get the last one in but it kept coming up short. Even used a vise grip clamp to try and close the gap with no luck.
    Then spent 10 more minutes until I found a #6 1" long screw in my spare screw can.
  • Couldn't swing the PCM "easily out of the way". After wasting 30 minutes playing with it in multiple angles, I ended up using a sharpened steel spring rod to poke and push the power lines through the firewall grommet.
  • Couldn't snake the wires through the door flexible rubber grommet. I spent another 45 minutes hunting for old fishing tape for running wires. Then it was done in 5 minutes.
  • Fitting the relays and switches into the armrest. This one took another 10 minutes to align right.

On the bright side, it is all in, works as advertised, and ended up costing no more than $54 for the motor and the window wiring kit.

Quick Reply: Passenger Window?