Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

what did you do to your firebird today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Against popular opinion? The SLP Loudmouth is probably one of the most popular exhaust systems for F-Bodies. The only people I hear who complain about it are people with longtubes and offroad y-pipes because it can get a bit raspy at certain RPMs. If you have factory manifolds and y-pipe, it will sound great.
Sorry for the misinformation on my part. I just read thread after thread after thread and it seemed to be a popular consensus that the general population does not like SLP products. Perhaps I am just reading into a few peoples negative opinions and taking them for the majority.

I love the way it sounds on YouTUBE videos!

I think sometimes I read so many threads about a product and you get both negative and positive comments. 1 negative comment always does more damage than 1 positive comment can fix. There is probably a ratio in there somewhere or a formula for that.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 344 Likes on 258 Posts

buddy of mine in college had that setup on his lt1, sure it was loud but I would think that is kind of what you are expecting if you are looking at a system called the loudmouth.

that said it was one of the best sounding lt1's I have ever heard.

now back on track

been a busy couple of days, got my new coil overs installed still fiddling with ride height though. got my wideband installed and had to make a few output changes so I can read both the gauge and another output for tuning correctly. As well as got a new O2 for the passenger side upstreat to install..... and a few wheel studs that were being jerks are getting swapped.

than hopefully I can drive it again, and get some more tuning

I have one of their hoods on my firebird (slp HO) and it is quality part for sure. I think some of their stuff was a bit expensive for what it was at times
Old 07-15-2015, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JacksonJ
I just read thread after thread after thread and it seemed to be a popular consensus that the general population does not like SLP products.
I believe one of the issues was with the SLP headers. I think they hung quite low and caused problems for some.

In other news I finished installing new fuel rails, new injectors, and new fuel lines. I'm driving it again but need to do some final tuning to get it running as well (or better) as it was before the upgrades. When I was on nitrous my injectors were getting too close to maxing out so I'm done for a while. Oh yeah, I bought a new Nitrous Outlet bottle, etc. from the WS6 Store.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by OhTwo
I believe one of the issues was with the SLP headers. I think they hung quite low and caused problems for some.

In other news I finished installing new fuel rails, new injectors, and new fuel lines. I'm driving it again but need to do some final tuning to get it running as well (or better) as it was before the upgrades. When I was on nitrous my injectors were getting too close to maxing out so I'm done for a while. Oh yeah, I bought a new Nitrous Outlet bottle, etc. from the WS6 Store.
I did see a thread where someone posted that there was an "old"design and they have since improved them and there is no longer a problem.

I wish I did something as interesting as you guys. I have an SLP Lid coming in the mail, but all I have done this week is install my new "fitted" sunshade from ebay. I never realized how freaking big the front windshield was until I tried fitting my generic one on the windshield.

The custom one from Ebay covers the entire thing and works great. My work parking lot is not well shaded so it helps tremendously! I want to protect the dash so it does not crack in the future.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a picture of the windshield cover.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JacksonJ
Hows it compared to stock? Every time I hear MF it sounds deep but not loud.

I am itching to put new exhaust on my bird. The stock exhaust is just to quiet.

Against popular opinion, I think I'm going SLP LM1. Its a good price with a good sound.

Its got a deeper rumble, but its not head turning loud. I would like it to be a little louder, but I can live with it.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

This is more of a list of things I did in the past few days...

Had my father take some semi-pro pictures of my bird. This is one he sent to my cell phone, came out great!

Installed the SLP lid that came in the mail... I am going to mess around with that air pump hose that connects to the lid and see if I cant route it "neater."

I identified a squeak in my rear suspension caused by the rear sway bar bushings. I removed them and applied silicone lube to stop the squeak until the ones I ordered came in. I stuck with Moog rubber bushings.

Changed the fuel filter.

I also started to "turkey baste" the power steering fluid from the pump and swapped the rear diff fluid for RP 75-90.

I have done many rear diff fluid changes in my time... but the f-body 10-bolt rear diff was slightly annoying to work with. Not a ton of room in-front of the diff. Ramps are nice, but would have preferred a lift. (definitely not hard at all... just not as easily accessible as the lifted trucks I have owned previously)
Old 07-20-2015, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CO_BlackHawk
Its got a deeper rumble, but its not head turning loud. I would like it to be a little louder, but I can live with it.
Thanks! I decided to go with SLP LM1. I want to turn heads!
Old 07-21-2015, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

taking my new rear deck to the painters today with the wing. last night removed the third brake light and removed the oxidation that was on it. its the little things in life that make me happy. cant wait to see the new deck on it - hopefully by mid of next week. will no more tonight.
Before:

after:

Old 07-21-2015, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

Since I am home waiting on an a/c repairman to come fix my home a/c I went out in the garage and swapped out my rear springs for some bmr lowering springs, pretty easy job on the rear.

Last edited by 99'CajunFirehawk157; 07-22-2015 at 10:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ramairjohn2000 (10-27-2020)
Old 07-22-2015, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Since I am home waiting on an a/c repairman to come fix my home a/c I went out in the garage and swapped out my rear springs for some bmr lowering springs, pretty easy job on the rear.
Pretty crappy week to have the A/C go out. Mine's out, been mid 90's here.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

Worked on the interior some, decided on a color change.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Color change! How'd did you go about changing the dash color??
Old 07-23-2015, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by michaelhawk
Nice Color change! How'd did you go about changing the dash color??
SEM Color coat.
The stuff is awesome.
The following users liked this post:
ramairjohn2000 (10-27-2020)
Old 07-24-2015, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fbody_brian
SEM Color coat.
The stuff is awesome.
That looks great! I am kind of jealous of the cloth seats... makes me want to trade my leathers! HOTT! in Texas...
Old 07-26-2015, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

I ran out of screws while building my fence. So I hopped in my T/A and drove down to Home Depot to get more.
I was minding my own business when a Siverado SS got beside me and I could tell he wanted to race.
Sure enough we got to a red light, and I quite easily smoked him. Then a guy in a dodge 1/2 ton (hemi) saw that and he decides to get in on the action. So get gets on the lights with me a few blocks later. Well I smoked him as well....

I'm not sure why everybody wanted to race me today.......?
Old 07-28-2015, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 344 Likes on 258 Posts

the search for a tuning issue has lead to purchasing HP tuners........
ive been having throttle response issues since last year and I fouled my plugs again. Got a friend with the software over and discovered that Bank 2 was pumping double the fuel of bank 1. So I put a new O2 in and am still having the same issue. I have paid 3 different people to tune this car one was a mail order base and one was a dyno shop none of which are in business anymore and its still wrong. So I figure instead of paying another tuner and a dyno Ill just learn and do it myself and If I decide at some point I want to get every little bit of power out of it I will get it on a dyno. The car has a wideband on it so I just need to work through the learning curve and get the car into shape.

so in the meantime I have been taking my plugs out and cleaning them up cause they were borderline fouled, new battery, and finished dialing in my new ridtech coilovers (rideheight wise) that I still havnt been able to ride on!

little venting, the good side is I will have enough credits left to work on the GTO to.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bird Lightning 2.0
I ran out of screws while building my fence. So I hopped in my T/A and drove down to Home Depot to get more.
I was minding my own business when a Siverado SS got beside me and I could tell he wanted to race.
Sure enough we got to a red light, and I quite easily smoked him. Then a guy in a dodge 1/2 ton (hemi) saw that and he decides to get in on the action. So get gets on the lights with me a few blocks later. Well I smoked him as well....

I'm not sure why everybody wanted to race me today.......?
At least you didn't get a teenager in a new Ford Explorer... I didn't really want to waste the gas... But I did... Twice... Just to make sure it stuck.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

replaced the idler pulley assembly and replaced the plastic elbows with metal ones.
NO MORE SQUEEKS - woot woot
Old 07-29-2015, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bleepster
replaced the idler pulley assembly and replaced the plastic elbows with metal ones.
NO MORE SQUEEKS - woot woot
Plastic elbows? Cant think of what you are referring to at the moment...

Quick Reply: what did you do to your firebird today?