Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

How to haggle price

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to haggle price

Hi all, I'm new here and am going to look at my first T/A tomorrow. I'll be upgrading from an 04 sixbanger mustang, so I'm pretty excited. However, this will be the first vehicle I'm purchasing on my own, and am rather curious on how to haggle on a price. The car is a private sale, and I'm driving about 20 mins to meet him at his house. The car is listed on craigslist at 8 grand, but I'm curious to see if I can work it down at all. It's not that I don't have the money, it's just I'd rather pay less Anyway, what is the most effective way of doing this without sounding like an ***? I appreciate the help guys

Weston
Old 05-17-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

Cash talks. Don't act like a giddy little girl, works better to act rather uninterested. Seemed turned off at the flaws it has etc. But if he's firm he may not negotiate much..if the cars been for sale for awhile or he needs the money I've found the above works really well.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ask they seller if they will take the amount you are willing to pay for it. If they say no then go up like $500 until the seller accepts the price.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Being polite is key and no one will be offended unless you offer 1/2 of what he wants. Showing concern about something with the car will indicate right off the bat that you think his price is too high. Example: the tires are too old or near bald, or you see the window motor is working too slow. Things like that. Tell him you will want to get certain things fixed and ask if he will take $7,000 or something reasonable after you see the car. If the car is immaculate and a great deal, just throw him the money and complete the transaction. Most cars need something though. Good luck!
Old 05-18-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well what year is it? miles? mods? condition?...
Old 05-23-2010, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Being polite is key and no one will be offended unless you offer 1/2 of what he wants. Showing concern about something with the car will indicate right off the bat that you think his price is too high. Example: the tires are too old or near bald, or you see the window motor is working too slow. Things like that. Tell him you will want to get certain things fixed and ask if he will take $7,000 or something reasonable after you see the car. If the car is immaculate and a great deal, just throw him the money and complete the transaction. Most cars need something though. Good luck!

x2

Exactly what I've done in the past. Good luck
Old 05-23-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
Just ask they seller if they will take the amount you are willing to pay for it. If they say no then go up like $500 until the seller accepts the price.

wrong wrong wrong!

The first person who names an amount in a negotiation is at a severe disadvantage. I have found that stating that you are aware that the asking price is $xxxxx and then asking what the car is worth to them in cash, right now. If they drop 10%, that is the real price they will accept (10% over seems to be pretty standard in the asking price) and it should be a fair number. In any event, make your offer at that point about 5% under that and they will take it. Offering less will offend and offering more is just wasting money. Also, if you go with an odd amount that does not drop down to the next $100 increment will do wonders. i.e. if they say $9400, you counter with with $8925 sounds a lot better than $8895, it is a $30 difference that sounds like $100.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 SS
wrong wrong wrong!

The first person who names an amount in a negotiation is at a severe disadvantage.
not always. When i bought my T/A it was listed for around $6800 and I drove it, noticed a few little things like a few quarter panel dings, a grinding headlight motor and a broken antenna mast. I offered them $6k expecting to have them counteroffer at $6500 or so. They took the $6k offer. KBB private party for good condition at the time was exactly what they were asking for.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Mine was listed for 3,700 on cl and after some looking over and starting it up ( it sounded terrible, the 2year old gas might have had alot to do with that, lol) I talked them down to 2500. It helps if you know more about it than they do.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hope you looked on KBB to see what it should be worth first
Old 06-07-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The car is worth what you are willing to pay. Get a number in your head, and don't stray from it.

Point out all the flaws when you are looking at it. Gotta soften up the seller so he thinks no one else will buy this POS.

Don't ever look at it more than once. Make an offer on the spot.

The biggest advantage you have as the buyer is the ability to walk. Make your offer firm, money available TODAY with no conditions. Tell the seller your offer expires in 2 minutes.

You will buy cars cheaper than ever before.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eseibel67
The car is worth what you are willing to pay. Get a number in your head, and don't stray from it.

Point out all the flaws when you are looking at it. Gotta soften up the seller so he thinks no one else will buy this POS.

Don't ever look at it more than once. Make an offer on the spot.

The biggest advantage you have as the buyer is the ability to walk. Make your offer firm, money available TODAY with no conditions. Tell the seller your offer expires in 2 minutes.

You will buy cars cheaper than ever before.
Yup, don't be afraid to walk away. Basically act like you would if you didn't want the car, but were forced into buying it.

Giggling like a school girl will give you absolutely no wiggle room.

Private sales are great for tax purposes as well. If you get stuck in the $500 dollar limbo and he won't budge anymore, offer to pay the extra 500 over your price if he'll write on the title that he sold it for 500 bucks. Then you only owe sales tax on the 500 when it comes time to get it plated. That can make up the actual price paid really quick.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Lightbulb

Why is it everyone acts like anything they're buying is a pile of junk, but anything they're selling is solid gold?

Just look at the car and decide what you think a FAIR price is, offer that and go from there. If you found a car you know is worth $15000 and he's asking $10000, don't be an *** and try to talk him down just so you can say you "won." The key is to get a fair price. Don't try to rip off the seller, and keep the seller from ripping you off. Offer your fair price, and if they don't agree, walk away. If they make a counter offer, decide if it's close enough to your fair price to make the sale.

I can appreciate wanting to save money, but unless his price is grossly elevated, how much do you really expect to save? $200? $500? Personally, when someone is looking to buy a car from me and spends half an hour telling me all the little things wrong with the car, I remind them that's why it's not priced like a 100 point show car.

Quick Reply: How to haggle price