Old 02-14-2011, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In theory . But the car in that listing is a trans am body not a formula
Old 02-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by my bandit
dont all trans ams come ttops and leather and formulas have different interiors/
I have a Formula with t-tops and leather seats.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by - 024mula -
I have a Formula with t-tops and leather seats.
Most Formulas have t-tops, not sure how many had leather. Interiors are the same besides that.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by my bandit
dont all trans ams come ttops and leather and formulas have different interiors/
Yes, all 98-02 Trans Ams are T-tops and leather.

98-02 Formulas can have it 4 ways.

Hardtop w/ Cloth Interior
T-tops w/ Cloth Interior
Hardtop w/ Leather
T-top w/ Leather
Old 02-15-2011, 11:22 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Nothing's wrong with Formulas. I like their front end/light set up better than my T/A's. I think one of the ultimate looks for F-birds is a Formula WS6. In the end, I had to have the T/A and the WS6 hood. The T/A and WS6 have a look that you either love or hate. Personally, I think it's one of the ugliest cars in the world but that's why I love it so much, if that makes any sense...
Old 02-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gocartone
Pssh, Firehawk Formula hardtop 6spd FTW! The quad nostrils of the WS6 hood have always looked ugly to me.

i honestly cant stand the looks of the 4 nostrils of the ram air hood. firehawk hood ftw!!!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

wanna know the best way to tell a t/a from a formula? the t/a says trans am on the door and formula says formula on the door.. no need to worry about all the avail options and what a previous owner may have swapped.. i highly doubt someone swapped both doors at the same time so it said trans am and not formula
Old 02-16-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just an update on that formula (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false) Its a fake. The guy sent me an email and said hes going into the army and the car is in MO and he wants to ship it to me. WHY DO SCAMMERS GET MY HOPES UP?!?!?!??!?!?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

i always thought that TA's had a "few" extra ponies from the factory due to things like ram air etc etc. I know the 98-00 LS motors are diff than the 01-02 due to LQ9 cam, LS6 intake etc etc? someone specify please?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jesus!! So much incorrect info in this thread it makes my head spin!

Formula Vs. Trans am
These are the facts:

Drivetrain differences:
Base Formulas have the same exact drive train as base Trans am's. period. 100% identical from the air filter to the exhaust tips. Same motor and same tranny options, both manual and auto in each year they were made.

Body/exterior differences:
Trans am=Foglights(biggest give away), Side skirts, Rear bumper with exhaust "ports", and the high rise spoier.
Formula=essentially looks like a V6 car. No sideskirts, low rise spoiler, or big circle foglights.

All 4th gen V8 birds (Formula or Trans am) had identical hoods each year, unless it was a ram air optioned car (WS6 package, Firehawk, COMP T/A)

WS6/Ram air hoods:
The WS6 package is offered on BOTH Trans ams AND Formulas. It is not a Trans am only option and is not a standard option on the Trans ams.

Interior Options:
All options on Trans Ams were available on Formulas as well, they just didnt come standard on the Formula like they did the Trans am (leather seats, electric seats, t tops ect.)

VIN/Title differences:
VIN numbers on V8 4th gen Firebirds (Formulas and Trans ams) did not indicate whether it was a Trans Am or a Formula specifically, just that it was a V8 car. The only way you can tell is by looking through the RPO codes. Most titles say something like "Firebird Formula Trans Am" because the VIN is not trim specific.

WS6, WS7, WS9

WS6=An oem option package for all 96-02 V8 Firebirds (both formula and trans am) that included a funcitonal ram air hood, 17 inch rims, unique exhaust tips, bigger front sway bar, a ws6 badge, and a power steering cooler.

WS7=A non factory package, usually the name for a car that came out of the factory without the ws6 ram air package, and a ram air hood was added to it.

WS9=this is actually the RPO code that specifies that a car is a Formula and not a trans am. So all 4th gen formulas are WS9 cars, thus why I have a ws9 badge on the back of my car Some companies also make an aftermarket ram air hood called a "ws9 hood." It has nothing to do with the oem RPO code, just a name. Some people put ws9 badges on their car if they have this hood.

Some exceptions to the rules:
While 93 Trans am's came loaded, the '94 Trans am did not come standard with T-tops and had the low rise spoiler standard. To get t-tops, 155mph speedo, the highrise spoiler, and z rated tires, you needed the Trans am GT package. These were the only years the "GT" package was an option.

93-94 Formulas came with Z rated tires, 155mph speedo standard, and t-tops/leather were optional, no "GT" package or equivilant for the 93-94 formulas to get the performance stuff.

Last edited by MasterTomos; 02-18-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

What years had the black and red leather interiors? My sis's bf has a 95 formula and it has that color combo interior.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Formulas are IMO the best looking 4th gens. To people who don't know cars like us though, Trans Am will always equate to the baddest of the bad. That's one key reason they are more "popular" than Formulas. Then a lot of other people just like the more aggressive look of the Trans Am.

Honestly though, I wanted a TA at first, but ended up with a Formula as a result of an unfortunate accident my brother had. The look grew on me...and after the wreck he had, I picked up a cheap TA front end and I know call it the "Transformula"...so hey, best of both worlds!

Gotta love a clean black Formy though!
Old 02-17-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by idformula
What years had the black and red leather interiors? My sis's bf has a 95 formula and it has that color combo interior.
Red leather was a '95 only option. Actually, rumor has it that it inspired the C5 Z06 interior!

Originally Posted by $750 L98
Formulas are IMO the best looking 4th gens. To people who don't know cars like us though, Trans Am will always equate to the baddest of the bad. That's one key reason they are more "popular" than Formulas. Then a lot of other people just like the more aggressive look of the Trans Am.

Honestly though, I wanted a TA at first, but ended up with a Formula as a result of an unfortunate accident my brother had. The look grew on me...and after the wreck he had, I picked up a cheap TA front end and I know call it the "Transformula"...so hey, best of both worlds!

Gotta love a clean black Formy though!
Is this your car? I love the gunmetal wheels, I considered it for my formula.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Launching!

I have a Formula with a WS6 hood/hatch, leather, and t-tops and get compliments on it all the time. I personally like the styling of it over TransAm's/WS6's.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AwsmGy
I have a Formula with a WS6 hood/hatch, leather, and t-tops and get compliments on it all the time. I personally like the styling of it over TransAm's/WS6's.
You mean a Trans am hatch. WS6's didn't have unique spoilers. Looks good tho.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

I wish I could find the red leather interior
Old 02-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
You mean a Trans am hatch. WS6's didn't have unique spoilers. Looks good tho.
Well yeah....you know what I meant lol
Old 02-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Jesus!! So much incorrect info in this thread it makes my head spin!

Some exceptions to the rules:
93-94 Trans am did not come standard with T-tops and had the low rise spoiler standard. To get t-tops, 155mph speedo, the highrise spoiler, and z rated tires, you needed the Trans am GT package. These were the only years the "GT" package was an option.

93-94 Formulas came with Z rated tires, 155mph speedo standard, and t-tops/leather were optional, no "GT" package or equivilant for the 93-94 formulas to get the performance stuff.
93 Trans Am's came one way only - loaded. 94 is the only year for the GT option.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Red leather was a '95 only option. Actually, rumor has it that it inspired the C5 Z06 interior!

Is this your car? I love the gunmetal wheels, I considered it for my formula.
Yeah that's my Formula, I liked the wheels, just not on a firebird. The TTII I have now look much better!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chevbon
Just an update on that formula (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false) Its a fake. The guy sent me an email and said hes going into the army and the car is in MO and he wants to ship it to me. WHY DO SCAMMERS GET MY HOPES UP?!?!?!??!?!?

That sucks man, I was thinking that was a really good deal. I ran into a few of those while I was looking for my Trans Am. I usually tell them that I'm actually in whatever random state, city, or country they come up with and can meet in person. You'd be suprised at some of the excuses scammers will come up with to keep their lies going

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with Formulas?