Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Whats wrong with Formulas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO the formulas look good. just a little different. in the end theyre all birds anyway.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

The weight difference, depending upon options start at 150.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:04 AM
Teching In

WS6 formulas are the best looking fbodys IMO
Old 06-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Teching In

love the ws6 formulas too.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread until now. Where the Hell have I been?

I think all the aspects/differences I would have pointed out have been touched on, but I'll add this...

My opinion on the Formula vs. Trans Am debate has very much to do with the fact that there are so many Trans Ams out there. I am currently considering replacing my 99 Formula that was crashed into a few weeks ago and the ratio of Trans Ams to Formulas on the market is easily 10 to 1. (That's being generous.)

Don't get me wrong. The 4th Gen Firebird Trans Am is a beautiful car (eventually I will own a LSx Equipped Convertible), but the front and rear of the T/As are just a bit too pretty for my taste. There is something about the ugliness of the Base/Formula Nose and the subtlety of the Rear Bumper & Low Level Spoiler that I find appealing.

And the fact that the Formula's appearance is identical to the Base V6 gives it the "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" advantage and adds just a little mystery to what exactly is going on under the hood.

I guess to sum it up, the Trans Am is the "Pretty with Performance" version of Pontiac's Firebird. While the Formula is more of an "All Go with Less Show", making it almost sinister in nature. I like that.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mumbles
My opinion on the Formula vs. Trans Am debate has very much to do with the fact that there are so many Trans Ams out there. I am currently considering replacing my 99 Formula that was crashed into a few weeks ago and the ratio of Trans Ams to Formulas on the market is easily 10 to 1. (That's being generous.)

Don't get me wrong. The 4th Gen Firebird Trans Am is a beautiful car (eventually I will own a LSx Equipped Convertible), but the front and rear of the T/As are just a bit too pretty for my taste. There is something about the ugliness of the Base/Formula Nose and the subtlety of the Rear Bumper & Low Level Spoiler that I find appealing.

And the fact that the Formula's appearance is identical to the Base V6 gives it the "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" advantage and adds just a little mystery to what exactly is going on under the hood.

I guess to sum it up, the Trans Am is the "Pretty with Performance" version of Pontiac's Firebird. While the Formula is more of an "All Go with Less Show", making it almost sinister in nature. I like that.
Very true about the rarity. I hardly ever see Formulas around, most 4th gen Birds I see are T/A's, esp. the LS1 cars. If you look at the 98-02 sales figures, IIRC ONE year of T/A production is more than all 5 years of Formula production combined, or at least damn near close to it. And the WS6's outsold the base T/A's too.

I also very much like the "sleeper" aspect of them, although that goes away if a loud exhaust is installed. I remember back in '00 when I had my first Formula, a '98, and people at the track asked if it was a V6. People still ask if my car a has a V8. It's not obvious like with a T/A.

I have to disagree with the "ugly" statement. I actually think the Formula looks much cleaner than the T/A, I find the T/A's front bumper is overdone, and the car just looks bloated from the rear between the wide bumper and huge wing. The Formula looks leaner and meaner, IMO.

Although if your talking about people's general perception, I agree... the T/A is the hot looking girl wearing a skintight dress and 6" stillettos in the bar that everyone is gawking at, while the Formula is the cute girl chilling in the back listening to the band wearing jeans and a tank top. I think less is more, so I always go for the tank top girl....and love my Formula.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

I like my trans am, I live in florida and I have come across way more formulas than trans ams of the LT1 at least, ws6 trans am w/ LS1 I deff see more than the formula ls1's though. I have also never seen another white one of my LT1 year range here suprisingly.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Default Formula vs. T/A

I have a '97 Formula convertible. White, Recarro leather seats, low miles, all stock (except for the wheels). Love the look and the clean lines (much like others have said). I think that I read that only around 323 were built that year, so it gets some very nice looks all around. I think that most of the LS1 techers on this site prefer the '98 - '02 vintage, but this one feels good to me. I'm interested in what you think.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 07-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Launching!

^
Old 07-04-2011, 02:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by - 024mula -
I have leather seats in my car.
Same my formula has leather and power, and t tops. But i did put the Ws6 hood on her

I have to disagree with the "ugly" statement. I actually think the Formula looks much cleaner than the T/A, I find the T/A's front bumper is overdone, and the car just looks bloated from the rear between the wide bumper and huge wing. The Formula looks leaner and meaner, IMO.

Although if your talking about people's general perception, I agree... the T/A is the hot looking girl wearing a skintight dress and 6" stillettos in the bar that everyone is gawking at, while the Formula is the cute girl chilling in the back listening to the band wearing jeans and a tank top. I think less is more, so I always go for the tank top girl....and love my Formula.[/QUOTE]

I like the way you put that
Old 07-07-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
I also very much like the "sleeper" aspect of them, although that goes away if a loud exhaust is installed. I remember back in '00 when I had my first Formula, a '98, and people at the track asked if it was a V6. People still ask if my car a has a V8. It's not obvious like with a T/A.
Exactly.

Maybe "ugly" isn't the right word. How about "not as pretty".

Although if your talking about people's general perception, I agree... the T/A is the hot looking girl wearing a skintight dress and 6" stillettos in the bar that everyone is gawking at, while the Formula is the cute girl chilling in the back listening to the band wearing jeans and a tank top. I think less is more, so I always go for the tank top girl....and love my Formula.
Bingo.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 95 Formula has T tops and Leather interior. No power seats except for the powered lumbar support. I really like the car because of the clean uncluttered look. Although I am going to install a 94-95 Firehawk style hood (not ws6 style) with a 96 Pontiac Rram Air box and Speedline wheels mainly to enhance performance. I still think it will look cleaner than the 4 fog/driving light 4 scoop hoods of the newer cars IMO they are just a little "over done". No offense..... I'll take the girl in the tank top too.

Bone stock 95 Firebird Formula, T tops, Leather, LT1, M6, Premium Stereo with CD player 92,000 original miles.

Last edited by lakeratiam; 07-08-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 07-10-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

I am a little partial to the Formula
Old 07-10-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

formula>t/a. only f-body i would consider over mine
Old 07-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the trans ams look 100% better & sportier than the firebird looking formulas hands down IMO plus on the T/As leather seats are standard
Old 07-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Staging Lane

Formula WS6 FTW
Old 07-11-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

reading/skimming through all 5 pages.. i don't see how some of you can dislike the quad snorkel WS6 hood, to me it looks 10x better, meaner and more aggressive then her SS camaro counter part that looks boring and plan.... as far as formula's go, it doesn't matter how bad *** you make your formula, the '91-97 formula Firehawk's either modded or bone stock are the sexiest off all formula's..
Old 07-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Launching!

IMO the formula looks good with the raptor,firehawk hood,because the raptor hood doesnt look aggressive so it belongs on a not so aggressive looking car like the formula,on the other hand the T/As and firehawks look more aggressive so the WS6 Ram Air hood fits the T/As snd firehawks better
Old 07-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Launching!

i hate hardtops,im glad all the 98-02 T/As came with ttops,bcuz aint nothing like taking your ttops off on a nice sunny day to feel the breeze

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with Formulas?