Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle?

At around 5,000 rpm I hear a rattle. It sounds like it's under re right side of the dash... Does anyone know what that could be? It doesn't sound healthy. I know I haven't really given good clues here but that's all I really have. Thank you for your opinions!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6transam98
At around 5,000 rpm I hear a rattle. It sounds like it's under re right side of the dash... Does anyone know what that could be? It doesn't sound healthy. I know I haven't really given good clues here but that's all I really have. Thank you for your opinions!
Way too vague a question.
What mods do you have? Are you auto or manual? What octane gas are you running? Does it always happen or just sometimes?
Old 08-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Teching In

It is all stock. It's a 98 ws6 auto. The car has 128k and the motor has around 54k. And it happens all the time. Sometimes louder then others. Sorry about the vague question.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

It is all stock. It's a 98 ws6 auto. The car has 128k and the motor has around 54k. And it happens all the time. Sometimes louder then others. Sorry about the vague question.
What kind of gas are you running? (you should be putting in minimum of 91 octane).
Is it a metallic sound? It could be something simple like an exhaust rattle or heat shield rattle, or could be more severe like knock or worse (internal damage).
Could you get a video?
Do you have a good performance shop that could look at it for you?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Teching In

I run 91 octane. And no it doesn't sound metallic. It almost sounds like plastic slapping plastic....the performance and mpg are still the same so I don't think it's anything with in the engine. Although I could be wrong. And no I really don't have any good shops around west plains Missouri that I would call good. There is one that does more of the big block old school type of stuff. They are great at that I just don't know about a ls1. The sound isn't loud enough to show up on video. I tried it and all you could here was exhaust. I really appreciate your help! And helping learn how to post stuff correctly. So I don't sound stupid lol. And again any help is awesome so thank you!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Hear not here sorry. And I'm really easy on my car so I haven't beat on it at all! I love these cars and treat them like they should be treated! So that's why I'm kinda cunfused.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

You said it sounds like it's under the dash. Is it inside of the car that you're hearing it?
Old 08-12-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I run 91 octane. And no it doesn't sound metallic. It almost sounds like plastic slapping plastic....the performance and mpg are still the same so I don't think it's anything with in the engine. Although I could be wrong. And no I really don't have any good shops around west plains Missouri that I would call good. There is one that does more of the big block old school type of stuff. They are great at that I just don't know about a ls1. The sound isn't loud enough to show up on video. I tried it and all you could here was exhaust. I really appreciate your help! And helping learn how to post stuff correctly. So I don't sound stupid lol. And again any help is awesome so thank you!
Hey no prob.
Well that kinda sucks, it looks like it might be time to start taking the dash apart...
Old 08-12-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On 98 and 99 there was a clip or something that would push up on the underside of the dash on the passenger side and actually cause the dash to crack in that spot.
Do you see any kind of dimple coming up in the dash panel maybe 6 inches or so above the airbag panel?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Teching In

That will suck! Well would you think it's anything serious? Because if not I'll prolly just take my time with it and do it when it's not so Hott! But if you think it's something bad I'll get to it!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Yea there is a dimple there. Do you think that could be causing the sound?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Teching In

And yes Kevin that's actually the only place I can hear it. Outside you can't hear anything like it.

Quick Reply: Rattle?