Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

98 firebird v6 engine bogging and shakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 firebird v6 engine bogging and shakes

so cars been running fine got it 2months ago now when i went to go start it today the engine sounded like it was choking u can hear it through the exhaust too and its just puttering. The rpms were bouncin up and down oil pressure was a little higher than usual and i got an oil change today and when i go to pull off it hesitates to move and once im in a certain rpm it starts to bogg out and by the way it does it in each gear when im bout hlf way down on the throttle in each gear and when im driving and the rpms strt bouncin like crazy then it kicks bak does fine then it goes into the next gear fine and does it agian and when i gas it all the way down it jus dnt wanna go jus shakes if anyone has an idea please let me kno
Old 12-10-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

possibly clogged cat. go ahead and give it a tune up to see if that clears anything up, not like it would hurt to do so anyways. I'm sure you have a check engine light on with the way you've described it's running so get ahold of a scanner and check that out. Do basic spark/fuel check, and make sure your egr valve isn't stuck open.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:09 PM

i was thinking the same thing cuz you can hear it choking more underneath the car and i jus started it this morning for a cold start n it was doing fine but once it strted to warm up it started to do it agian an i noticed too now my temp gauge isnt telln me its warming up n iv already replaced a waterpump bout a month ago
Old 12-11-2011, 01:39 PM

well i jus hooked it up to one of the check engine light readers n it came up as a cylinder misfireing
Old 12-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Is the check engine light blinking?
Check plug wires first.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you did the cardinal sin of buying the car and not doing routine maintenance once you bought it.

Spark plugs (NGK TR55's are great for the 3.8), wires, fuel filter and oil change are usually the best bet. Fix the spark issue and make sure your cat isn't clogged.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I had 2 V-6 Firebirds before I got my current car and both gave me problems with the plugs and wires. You need to change the spark plugs and wires and your cylinder misfire will go away. On one occation a bad plug wire caused one of the 3 coils in the coil pack to blow. When the coil blew the car would drive fine except under a load or exceleration, then it would buck like you describe.

So change the plugs and wires and if the problem continues, test the coils.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by WarShrike
Sounds like you did the cardinal sin of buying the car and not doing routine maintenance once you bought it.

Spark plugs (NGK TR55's are great for the 3.8), wires, fuel filter and oil change are usually the best bet. Fix the spark issue and make sure your cat isn't clogged.
im 19yrs old n i tke better care of my car then my rents or the owner before this cuz he let it sit for a year and then i bought it and been puttn all new types of stuff in it but i jus got all new spark plugs and spark plug wires today n my question is wuts the easiest way to get them off the engine
Old 12-13-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I did all of my plugs from up top, but I have a 2000 model. 2000 and newer have the tubular manifolds. 1999 and earlier have the log manifolds that almost make it mandatory to change it from under the car. Unless your car has aftermarket headers of course, which makes the plug change easy.

I'd recommend getting a new fuel filter if he let that thing sit for a year.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:34 AM

well i replaced all spark plugs and wires and the problem still continued so i replaced all my ignition coils and that was the problem jus the coil and iv got a question im lookin at an upper delphi intake manifold for my v6 would u suggest something else or would that be good enough
Old 12-17-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't know about Delphi intake manifolds.

But if you haven't already tossed out the coils you replaced there was probably only one that was bad, the other 2 should still be good. They are inter-changable and I found out which one by moving the coils and seeing which cylinders the problem moved to.

You may be able to have the coils tested at an auto shop or parts store, then you can keep the good two in reserve.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds to me like you need a coil. Buy just one and swap it with one at a time until either the problem is solved or is t ever solved. If it doesn't resolve your problem, return it. But I'd bet more money than I have that you've got a dead coil making your miss.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how I missed your post. Doh. I still face-palmed when I read that you replaced em all! I used aftermarket ones and put a square of white masking tape on each end of the top to label the cylinder numbers.

Quick Reply: 98 firebird v6 engine bogging and shakes