Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

When my carpet gets wet it smells like vomit. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation When my carpet gets wet it smells like vomit. Normal?

I bought my 2000 Pontiac Firebird about 8months ago. One time I tried cleaning a carpet stain in the back and it smelled like vomit when I got it wet. Now today I found a puddle in the passenger rear seat floor because I didn't close the t-top properly and it rained. Again it smells like vomit.

Let me know if this is normal. I hope it is, that way I'm not dealing with vomit juice soaked carpet... Please help, this is a serious matter. And I'm not kidding when I say it smells like VOMIT!! It smells like stomach acid and everything.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't drink and drive
Old 07-22-2013, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 532 Likes on 382 Posts

No, it shouldn't smell like
There were either kids in the back seat that got car sick at some point or people that couldn't hold their alcohol.
If you can't stomach the odor, get the car professionally detailed with stress on the shampoo for the carpet. A high grade cleaning machine will get that carpet like new with no more odor. The prior owner obviously didn't care enough to do that. You'll be fine once this is done. The best $100 (maybe less) you ever spent.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:53 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I cleaned out my Formula and scrubbed the carpet, and it didn't smell like
Old 07-22-2013, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Find another carpet damm near impossible to get the stench 100% out. It's probably soaked all the way through the jute padding under carpet.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even if it was normal, I dont think its normal
Old 07-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Time to strip the carpet!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Not normal! I'd pull the seats out and rent a steam cleaner and go to town. It may be easier to just pull the entire carpet out and clean it out of the car and let it sit outside for a while.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Maybe someone had a puking rally in the back and once it gets wet it stirs it back up?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

When my verts top was bad I had water on the carpet and was surprised that it did not smell bad. The carpet and padding in my basement had a sickening odor when it got wet from leaking walls.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
No, it shouldn't smell like
There were either kids in the back seat that got car sick at some point or people that couldn't hold their alcohol.
If you can't stomach the odor, get the car professionally detailed with stress on the shampoo for the carpet. A high grade cleaning machine will get that carpet like new with no more odor. The prior owner obviously didn't care enough to do that. You'll be fine once this is done. The best $100 (maybe less) you ever spent.

Thanks for the info..Damn it, I have a vomit soaked carpet. I did find a little bit of vomit under the rear seats, I ended up cutting out half the carpet out of the car. It looks seems like that vomit made it all the way under the front seats tho 'cause that's where I had the puddle last week and it stank from there. I remember the previous owner told me they had two big dogs...I hope it's pet puke and not human puke; for many obvious reasons.
As far as cleaning I would rather spend a big chunk of change on a new custom colored carpet then getting it cleaned. I think I'll get Deep Black, that will look good. I hope it's easy to put in.
Thanks for everyone's help...
Old 07-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Yeah, I cleaned out my Formula and scrubbed the carpet, and it didn't smell like
LoL at the Vomit Smileys.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

You could replace the carpet, it's not that expensive.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:02 AM
Teching In

Time to lock your teenagers kids driving it when your asleep in the closet, oh btw, check the wifey too.....maybe sancho is gettn to buzzed!
Old 07-25-2013, 05:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 532 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by BirdsOfAFeather
Thanks for the info..Damn it, I have a vomit soaked carpet. I did find a little bit of vomit under the rear seats, I ended up cutting out half the carpet out of the car. It looks seems like that vomit made it all the way under the front seats tho 'cause that's where I had the puddle last week and it stank from there. I remember the previous owner told me they had two big dogs...I hope it's pet puke and not human puke; for many obvious reasons.
As far as cleaning I would rather spend a big chunk of change on a new custom colored carpet then getting it cleaned. I think I'll get Deep Black, that will look good. I hope it's easy to put in.
Thanks for everyone's help...
Pets are quite likely. You know what? I think replacing the carpet may be the way to go. Get a fresh start so you don't have to think about it.

Quick Reply: When my carpet gets wet it smells like vomit. Normal?