Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

New Jersey Collector Vehicle Status HELLPP PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New Jersey Collector Vehicle Status HELLPP PLEASE!!

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a 2000 Trans Am WS6 and submitted an application for collector status. However, I got a request for more information with a check mark next to "other vehicle does not meet limited production". I called the number provided to ask what it meant and what I needed to send, but the person didn't even know what a WS6 was so she transferred me to this other guy (real a**hole, he just got pissy when I tried to explain what a WS6 was) who told me they go by make & model only (no packages, engine size, color, transmission, and pretty much everything that makes a car truly collectible), so of course it would look like there were too many produced if you only go by that. He literally said that it wasn't his problem and unless I get proof that the car remains in limited quantities (it doesn't take a phd to know that Pontiac is no more ;_; but he wants proof and that it has to be less than 3000 on the road remaining) I can't get collector's status.

My problem now is that this car can't pass inspection without that status. What can I do? It's near impossible to get a figure, even a ball park estimate of how many remain today.
Would I have better luck calling them back hoping to get a different person or is the I/M support unit a set team of people?
Is there any way I can get the voucher for collector status without having to go through that mailing process (like taking the letter of authenticity from the manufacturer to an agency and getting it right there)?

Sorry for the long post guys and if it is in the wrong section (it's my first post on here). Thanks in advance!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

why won't the car pass inspection without "collector status"?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Well the car is tuned and it's throwing a P0121. It was tuned by Race Proven Motorsports if it matters. I think the code is due to the cam as the car runs fine whenever I clear the code. Just when the SES light comes on it feels like it wants to stall (especially when i toggle the a/c the idle rises and then comes down like it's going to stall)
Old 09-18-2013, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are going to be out of luck there. There were over 8400 WS6 cars made in 2000. And I am sure that there are more than 3000 left on the road today. Besides that, a WS6 is not collectible in and of itself just because it is a WS6. It is just a Trans Am with a larger wheel, sway bar and ram air hood. Unless this is a completely stock garage queen with super low miles on it.

Now, in another 12 years we'll be able to stick the collector's/antique plate on it and call it a day. But until then, it's just another 4th gen f-body.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Get it to the emissions test while the code is off? You should have some miles to play with there.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the code comes up at idle or when you turn on your A/C have them raise your idle a little, clear the code, DON'T turn on your A/C and get the inspection done.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:57 PM
Teching In

I think you are going to be out of luck there. There were over 8400 WS6 cars made in 2000. And I am sure that there are more than 3000 left on the road today. Besides that, a WS6 is not collectible in and of itself just because it is a WS6. It is just a Trans Am with a larger wheel, sway bar and ram air hood. Unless this is a completely stock garage queen with super low miles on it.

Now, in another 12 years we'll be able to stick the collector's/antique plate on it and call it a day. But until then, it's just another 4th gen f-body.
Well she's not exactly ALL stock but she is a garage queen lol with only 14,000 miles too.
And there always seem to be people at the mvc that don't know the rules so maybe I'll get lucky with it someday

Get it to the emissions test while the code is off? You should have some miles to play with there.
Yeah, I think that's what I'll do. She was in storage with the battery disconnected so the monitors probably haven't set yet.

If the code comes up at idle or when you turn on your A/C have them raise your idle a little, clear the code, DON'T turn on your A/C and get the inspection done.
I'll give it a try, but I think they have you turn on your a/c

if I messed up the quotes, sorry I'm new haha
Old 09-18-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by albs
Well she's not exactly ALL stock but she is a garage queen lol with only 14,000 miles too.
And there always seem to be people at the mvc that don't know the rules so maybe I'll get lucky with it someday
Nice, that is some pretty low milage for today. The code you are getting is unlikely to be caused by your tune and I don't think the cam would cause it either. It is a reference to a TPS sensor voltage issue. I would first try the TPS relearn procedure and if that doesn't fix it, replace the sensor itself. You can pick them up for around $25 shipped from Rock Auto. Or you can hit up the classified section for a used one. I've got one available if interested.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Decadence75
Nice, that is some pretty low milage for today. The code you are getting is unlikely to be caused by your tune and I don't think the cam would cause it either. It is a reference to a TPS sensor voltage issue. I would first try the TPS relearn procedure and if that doesn't fix it, replace the sensor itself. You can pick them up for around $25 shipped from Rock Auto. Or you can hit up the classified section for a used one. I've got one available if interested.
Thanks dude, but I've already replaced the tps and I still get the code. Haven't tried the tps relearn though. You mind explaining it to me? It's an m6 car btw
Old 09-18-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks dude, but I've already replaced the tps and I still get the code. Haven't tried the tps relearn though. You mind explaining it to me? It's an m6 car btw
Unplug the TPS sensor
Turn the key to the ON position
Wait about 10 seconds
Turn key OFF
Plug sensor back in
Turn key back to ON

That should reset the PCM reading back to 0% for the TPS
Old 09-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Unplug the TPS sensor
Turn the key to the ON position
Wait about 10 seconds
Turn key OFF
Plug sensor back in
Turn key back to ON

That should reset the PCM reading back to 0% for the TPS
Thanks again man. I'll try it tomorrow once I get back from classes (I'd wake up my entire block if I turned her on now lol) and hopefully it'll do away with that code
Old 09-18-2013, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks again man. I'll try it tomorrow once I get back from classes (I'd wake up my entire block if I turned her on now lol) and hopefully it'll do away with that code
You don't actually start the car during the relearn, you put the key in and go to the one right before it starts to crank. Should be 2 clicks from the lock position.

And I know what you mean. All my neighbors dogs go crazy when I start up, haha. I'm sure they love it when I have to go out somewhere late at night.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Teching In

You don't actually start the car during the relearn, you put the key in and go to the one right before it starts to crank. Should be 2 clicks from the lock position.

And I know what you mean. All my neighbors dogs go crazy when I start up, haha. I'm sure they love it when I have to go out somewhere late at night.
Yeah I was wondering about that, thanks for the heads up, and yeah who wouldn't love the sound of a roaring v8 ;o)

Quick Reply: New Jersey Collector Vehicle Status HELLPP PLEASE!!