97 Trans am vs 98 Corvette ? I will buy what u say

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Trans am vs 98 Corvette ? I will buy what u say

Hello everyone.

In my country,

corvette c5 has 2x price than trans am ( almost same year , same miles, stock)

there is a really huge difference with c5 and trans am for that price ?

trans ams are 20k dollar , vettes are 40-50 k dollar.

Is that worth it to buy c5? whats the price rates in your countries guys ? i just wonder

And i didnt see them alive side by side.Which one is hotter side by side ?.c5 is really deserves to hot for 2x price ?
Old 12-15-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The major difference is the engine. The Trans Am of that year has the LT1. Its far more unreliable and less powerful than the LS1 found in that Corvette.

The Corvette is also a better platform. Its lighter, slightly more aerodynamic and has an independent rear end.

Alternatively, you could get a Trans Am from 1998-2002 which has the same LS1 from the Corvette. 1993-1997 Trans Ams had LT1s.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

When choosing between a trans am and a c5, stick with a ls1 trans am. If you like twisties or a drivers car the vette is leagues ahead of the trans am. The trans am is just as good most of the time in straight lines and is the better drag platform due to the straight axle.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by transvette
Hello everyone.

In my country,

corvette c5 has 2x price than trans am ( almost same year , same miles, stock)

there is a really huge difference with c5 and trans am for that price ?

trans ams are 20k dollar , vettes are 40-50 k dollar.

Is that worth it to buy c5? whats the price rates in your countries guys ? i just wonder

And i didnt see them alive side by side.Which one is hotter side by side ?.c5 is really deserves to hot for 2x price ?
don't know what country your in but those are some pretty big numbers for either car.

personally the C5 is a much sportier looking car next to an LT1 trans am, if I had the money I would chose the C5 any day of the week.

then the motors and handling and even fuel mileage are better with the c5.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 355 Likes on 268 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I would agree about the C5, I dont know if i would even look at an lt1 car (93-97 transam) by comparison.

It is interesting to see the price differences though not sure what country you are in either but here those prices are pretty close to what you would have paid for a brand new one maybe a little over the $50k mark.

If money isnt the issue I think you will like and get more fun out of the c5 than the alternative. Lighter better handling and more power not to mention not showing its age as much as the Trans am would
Old 12-16-2014, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
I would agree about the C5, I dont know if i would even look at an lt1 car (93-97 transam) by comparison.

It is interesting to see the price differences though not sure what country you are in either but here those prices are pretty close to what you would have paid for a brand new one maybe a little over the $50k mark.

If money isnt the issue I think you will like and get more fun out of the c5 than the alternative. Lighter better handling and more power not to mention not showing its age as much as the Trans am would
Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
don't know what country your in but those are some pretty big numbers for either car.

personally the C5 is a much sportier looking car next to an LT1 trans am, if I had the money I would chose the C5 any day of the week.

then the motors and handling and even fuel mileage are better with the c5.
ls1 trans am's is playing just 3-4 k dollar from old engine trans am's.

You can buy 2014 mercedes c180 with c5 price. or audi a4 2014.

In usa, whats the price's of c5's ?.Is it close to price of 2014 middle class mercedes's price ?.Ist worth to buy c5 with that price ?

or you would choose bmw z4 or mercedes ?
Old 12-16-2014, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 355 Likes on 268 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I think the going rate for a C5 right now is 20k and lower depending on options and condition. An lt1 Trans-Am would likely be under 5k if you could find one, its possible to find some outliers since the Pontiac brand no longer exists.

Me personally i dont think i would pay 50k for a older corvette but the market seems different in your area though. 50K right now would buy you a used c6z06 or get really close to it at minimum you could buy a c6 and have money to spare.

The audi and mercedes by comparison would be much more luxury cars compared to a C5 and even more so to the trans-am (gm isnt known for great inertiors out of that time frame)

My recomendation would be go to find one you can drive or atleast set in and it might give you some more insight into which one is a better purchase. But out of the options I think the Mercedes and Audi would likely be a much nicer car for the money by comparison
Old 12-16-2014, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Definitely this ^ don't bother looking for an lt1 unless your a die hard fan.
In my honest opinion, whichever one you step foot in first (being ls1 trans or c5) you'll fall in love with. The TA will save you money over a c5, in turn, extra savings can be used to modify it to your likings.
I think most prefer the c5 over the TA at first because of the attractive looks and popularity of the 'Corvette' but there is no substitute for the first drive in an ls1, no matter what the car!
note;;;; I feel so much more bad *** driving my trans am over my vette anyways!

Quick Reply: 97 Trans am vs 98 Corvette ? I will buy what u say