Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Seat Covers Temporary

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Covers Temporary

My 99 has very decent seats. It needs foam in the seat bottom but I can live it until I can it done properly.

My question is if I put seat covers over the existing seats will that help to preserve them? If so how makes the best fit/most attractive. I prefer to have them pretty low key and tasteful
Old 01-15-2015, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

I had grey covers (w/ thin foam-ish type backing) on my pewter leather front seats for ~10 years. When I noticed the foam stuff degrading and leaving chunks on the carpet, I removed them. After vacuuming out all the rest of the foam dust, my seats looked like new. Although to be fair, I used a leather protectant on the back seats (which spend quite some time baking in the sun w/ my top down) and they still look new too. So I'd say that using covers certainly can't hurt. However, I can't remember where I purchased my covers locally (it was Auto Zone or Wally Mart) and I've recently looked for similar replacements and can't find any. Probably have to shop online for them now.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes a good set of seat covers will definitely help preserve your seats. I was the 2nd owner of a 2002 Dodge Ram with Cummins engine, the original owner put seat covers on it when it was brand new. When I sold it in 2014 with almost 170,000 miles on it the seats looked new. Sorry I don't have a suggestion on which ones to get for your 99.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Why not get upgraded covers that replace your existing ones that look and feel better?
Old 01-15-2015, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just picked up and installed seat covers for the front of my hawk. Advance had them for $24 for 1. I wanted something until I decide to replace the seats completely with new seats, or new leather. My passenger is in great shape, but the driver was getting worn. They are black, with red on the sides. Fit great.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Default Priorites

Originally Posted by mac62989
Why not get upgraded covers that replace your existing ones that look and feel better?
I guess in a word I would say "money". This is just a toy that will sit in the carport with a car cover for most of the time. That and the seat are in pretty darn good shape except for the foam.

I am sell my 76 280Z so once that is sold it will free up some fun money for my TA.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TennesseeTA
I guess in a word I would say "money". This is just a toy that will sit in the carport with a car cover for most of the time. That and the seat are in pretty darn good shape except for the foam.

I am sell my 76 280Z so once that is sold it will free up some fun money for my TA.
Money is always the issue I hear you. For under $500 you can get nicer than OEM covers so I figured Id suggest it. I guess Im just not a fan of putting something over the existing seats but then again I have never see anything look good like that yet. Also on the issue of foam, there are no replacements but apparently it can be "fluffed up" with a steamer.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mac62989
Money is always the issue I hear you. For under $500 you can get nicer than OEM covers so I figured Id suggest it. I guess Im just not a fan of putting something over the existing seats but then again I have never see anything look good like that yet. Also on the issue of foam, there are no replacements but apparently it can be "fluffed up" with a steamer.
I am wondering if a good upholstery person can replicate the foam with updated material. My hope was to get them to him while I am getting other work done, let him reinforce any weak spots in the seams and cut some new foam for the seat bottom bolster. The seats are livable as is. So I would be likely to just use them for a while and when they start to look ratty then get them replaced. I would use the seat cover in the interim for around town use when I was going to be in and out a lot, then go coverless when I hit the road for longer trips.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Here is a recently posted thread on some good looking seat covers.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...installed.html

if you didnt see it.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

^Lethal Interiors is a far better deal than that place although those are nice.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Default update

I had someone switch the seat bottom from passenger to driver seat. Worked perfectly. Now the low bolster is on the inside passenger seat where having thigh support is not as much of an issue. Also since the passenger seat is rarely used it should stay in it current ok condition for years to come. The drivers seat bottom is now like new. Love it when a plan works out cheap!
Old 01-30-2015, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

what part of TN you in?

A shop in Clarksville redid my seats for me and wrapped my door panels. Did Excellent work! and they added some extra foam (or atleast i think they did because they set much better)

Quick Reply: Seat Covers Temporary