Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Mustang GT or LT1 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang GT or LT1 Trans Am

Hi everyone on LS1tech. I have been driving a 1998 Corolla for the past year. I am 17 years old. My parents are letting me get a different car soon. I have wanted a 4th gen Trans Am since before I even got my Corolla. I wanted one for my first car, but parents wouldn't allow it. I have my parents convinced on a V8. The thing is, they don't want me to get a Trans Am. They'd rather mer get a 1999-2004 Mustang GT or 2005 Mustang V6. While I'll be happy and grateful (I'll be paying half most likely) no matter what, I'd much rather have a Trans Am. I have found a 1997 Trans Am with 140k and an 4 speed automatic (I know, I know, I also want a stick but they're too rare in my area and are expensive when they show up) for $4,200. It has SLP Loudmouth, that's the only mod done. I actually recently looked at a 1999 Mustang GT that I really, really wanted, but we couldn't agree on price so I wasn't able to get it. They do not want me to get a 4th gen because they do not like the way they look (I'll be paying for at least half, so I think it should be a car I like), they think since Pontiac is out of business parts will be hard to find, and they don't think they look modern enough. They also say the insurance will be more expensive on a Trans Am than a Mustang GT, but in reality they'd be pretty similar, since V8 and young driver either way. So how do I convince them thatbthe Trans Am would be the better choice for ME? This will be MY car and I'LL be driving it, not them, so I do not agree with the fact that I can't get one just because they don't like the way they look at all.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

have we not covered all this in the 3 previous threads?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...-trans-am.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...first-car.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...good-idea.html

but if not, let me drop some advise on you, you may not want to hear this, but I wish someone had got me to listen to this advise when I was younger. If you have a reliable car that is CHEAP to operate then keep with that and SAVE your money, your not long from reaching the age where you will be moving out of the parents house and having the money to get your own place would be better then spending it on a car you don't need, look into what you can do to start building your credit history and save up for a down payment on a house instead of dumping your money into a car you don't need, the sooner you are buying a house the less money you will throw away on rent, then when your older you'll have more money to waste on the fun car.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey, I got my 2000 ws6 last year when I was 18 paid for it myself 8k. I feel if you are going to pay half you should just really get something you want and tell your parents you will just pay them back, set up payments or something thats what I did. Also for and Lt1 with that many miles your probably going to run into some problems so make sure you have enough for repairs. In all honesty, I know it sucks ,but you should save more and wait for something you really want don't give into temptation and settle for an "ok" car get what you really want.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why are they against the Trans Am if you don't mind me asking? Theres not a whole lot of stock performance difference between an LT1 or a 2v 4.6

As far as insurance, its really dependent on the area. Though the insurance will probably be a few extra bucks on the Mustang since its newer than an LT1.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Why not get a 1999-2002 Formula? Mechanically, it's identical to the TransAm. The TransAm just has cosmetic changes like a different front pumper and a tail stuck to its ***. I'll maintain that the Formula is more streamlined, lighter, and faster.

Your parent's will never know that a Formula is really the same thing as a TransAm!
Old 02-09-2015, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kevin Lee 487
Why are they against the Trans Am if you don't mind me asking? Theres not a whole lot of stock performance difference between an LT1 or a 2v 4.6

As far as insurance, its really dependent on the area. Though the insurance will probably be a few extra bucks on the Mustang since its newer than an LT1.
They don't like the way they look. They say they aren't modern enough, and think the Mustang looks more refined (which I can understand where they are coming from on that, but Trans Ams just look soooooo much more bada** and intimidating than Mustangs, except for the Terminator Cobras).
Old 02-09-2015, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
have we not covered all this in the 3 previous threads?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...-trans-am.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...first-car.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...good-idea.html

but if not, let me drop some advise on you, you may not want to hear this, but I wish someone had got me to listen to this advise when I was younger. If you have a reliable car that is CHEAP to operate then keep with that and SAVE your money, your not long from reaching the age where you will be moving out of the parents house and having the money to get your own place would be better then spending it on a car you don't need, look into what you can do to start building your credit history and save up for a down payment on a house instead of dumping your money into a car you don't need, the sooner you are buying a house the less money you will throw away on rent, then when your older you'll have more money to waste on the fun car.
Haha I know it's kind of sad lol. I just want to get into an F-Body sooooo badly. At this point though I'm trying to convince them why F-bodies are better cars and why I should get one over a Mustang, because I would feel a bit sad or feel the urge to immediately trade a Mustang in for an F-Body, considering the fact that I've wanted an F-Body so badly for the past 2 years.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BatFastard
They don't like the way they look. They say they aren't modern enough, and think the Mustang looks more refined
Well its not their car is it? They won't be driving it every day. Thats pretty ridiculous to try and prevent you from getting a car because they don't like how it looks.

Its YOUR car, get what YOU want. My dad didn't want me to get my Trans Am either ( for different reasons ) but was my purchase, so I told him to go suck a fat one and deal with it.

Last edited by Kevin Lee 487; 02-09-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BatFastard
They don't like the way they look. They say they aren't modern enough, and think the Mustang looks more refined (which I can understand where they are coming from on that, but Trans Ams just look soooooo much more bada** and intimidating than Mustangs, except for the Terminator Cobras).
Originally Posted by Kevin Lee 487
Well its not their car is it? They won't be driving it every day. Thats pretty ridiculous to try and prevent you from getting a car because they don't like how it looks.

Its YOUR car, get what YOU want. My dad didn't want me to get my Trans Am either ( for different reasons ) but was my purchase, so I told him to go suck a fat one and deal with it.
I can understand them feeling the LT1 bodies are dated but the LS1 bodies aren't, much more timeless IMHO, hell I find myself admiring my own car sometimes. Honestly man just save up till you can do it yourself then they can't say anything.

Kevin, since the Parents will be paying for HALF the do rightfully get some say in the matter.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:17 AM
Save the manuals!

Kevin, since the Parents will be paying for HALF they do rightfully get some say in the matter.

That's the real kicker here.

We need to be creative. Standard Plan B - Find Mom's weak spot. Maybe you tell her that the Mustang's engine has a known problem with biological resonance and that the engines' vibration is at just the right frequency to cause testicular stem cells to burst. Then - you wont be able to produce grandchildren.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:18 AM
Save the manuals!

Mustangs make you impotent.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:19 AM
Save the manuals!

^ There it is - on the internet. I'd say it must be true!
Old 02-10-2015, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
Mustangs make you impotent.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can no one search anymore?
Old 02-10-2015, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Some more proof for picking a TA over a stang

Old 02-11-2015, 02:59 AM
TECH Regular

Kevin, since the Parents will be paying for HALF the do rightfully get some say in the matter.
Ah, I missed that little detail.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get a 2004 Mustang GT and be done with it. Yeah, I'm a dissenting voice but I have my reasons.

- Try finding a clean LT1 car for a fair price. Once you 've done that, find one that doesn't have an OPTI module ready to die. Then make sure the T-tops don't leak. If you're lucky you'll get a car that has headlight gears that won't need replacing in the coming year. Once you commit to buying the gem that fits your criteria for a daily driver you can marvel at the 10 bolt rear end that was meant to harness 4 cylinder S10 power. Bonus points if your car is older and still has a tape deck. At least you can build a 383 stroker down the road. A good looking car IMO, but daily driving a car that is older than you? How mechanically inclined are you?

- I can find quite a few lower mileage 2004 GT's within 1-2 hours of me. No T-tops, no pop up headlights to fail, strong 8.8 rear axle, aftermarket parts selection is flush, the car isn't older than you, and there is a greater selection of vehicles, especially if your search criteria is 2000-2004 cars or such. They aren't the "be all, end all" but are decent daily drivers. At your age you can be happy with a nice exhaust, sound system, and such. If your goal is to win races then there's other cars that are better suited for that that your parents won't approve of either.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:20 PM
Save the manuals!

I can't get this thread out of my head. I almost feel like the parents are personally insulting me. If blinding Mom with science won't work, then I can't wait to see what happens next.

the Parents will be paying for HALF the do rightfully get some say in the matter.
This is probably not that relevant. The more important detail would be, "Who's name is going to be on the title?"

Originally Posted by JosephIV
Get a 2004 Mustang GT and be done with it.
I thought of banning you for this.

Originally Posted by JosephIV
Yeah, I'm a dissenting voice but I have my reasons.
... but what a great comeback. I've decided to give you double secret bonus points instead.

You laid out a very good rationale for the extra hidden costs of owning the older LT1. If I was on a budget and looking for a long term car, I would think twice about a third gen.

(I've used up my emoticon budget for the day, so I can't add another one here.)
Old 02-12-2015, 06:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought of banning you for this.

... but what a great comeback. I've decided to give you double secret bonus points instead.
That made me laugh this morning. Thank you!

Yeah, I've been against the 4.6 Modular 2V from their inception but in the context of a teenager's DD vehicle it's not bad at all.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

This is probably not that relevant. The more important detail would be, "Who's name is going to be on the title?" :devil
well he is 17 and when I was that age one of my parents names had to be on the title too even tho I was paying my own money.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT or LT1 Trans Am