Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the fuses first. Check to see if you have power at the motors, take it from there. You can manually raise the headlights by turning the **** on top of the motors. You might have to remove the rubber boot to expose the ****.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i checked the in-car fuse box and both under-hood fuse boxes and they all looked good.

I did not check to see if the motors were getting power or not, i am unsure how to go about doing that. If there is a good page to read or something that would help that would be nice.

Also every single light on the car works as far as all the lamps and turn signals and everything. The only issue is the lights dont lift up, the motors dont even make a slightest bit of a sound or anything as far as i can tell.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-08-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

grrrr...my driver headlight is lifted alittle again, I can pull it up about 50% more...grr...loose bolt or case has come un-done again, this will be the 4th time...this time, I'm just buying a new motor from advanced auto...seems JB weld didn't even hold it last go-around....
Old 07-09-2010, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just got a great deal on a 98 T/A.

The driver side headlight does not come up. It does not grind or anything. The lights come on but the motor does nothing.

What are some things I need to check before going and buying a new motor. Is there a fuse somewhere or relay for just the driver side?
Old 07-09-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Kev SS
I just got a great deal on a 98 T/A.

The driver side headlight does not come up. It does not grind or anything. The lights come on but the motor does nothing.

What are some things I need to check before going and buying a new motor. Is there a fuse somewhere or relay for just the driver side?
you can check the connector plug for corrosion
Old 07-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Teching In

im having almost the same problem as Kev SS is but mine does grind and it doesnt want to pop up anything i can do to help it pop up ? it does grind when i cut them on and off and it is a metal gear in it
Old 07-11-2010, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Default One Up One Down!!!!!

My gear on the drivers side light was stripped. I took it apart replaced it with a new one mounted it, but before putting everything back on I decided to check it out and make sure that it works properly. Well, good thing I checked, because there is a problem. With both the lights turned off and both in the off (down) position, I turn the headlights on the the drivers side stays down with the light on while the passenger side opens and light is on. When I turn them off the passenger does as it should, but the drivers side flips up (on position) but the light itself is off like it is suppose to be. I read through has much of this forum as I could and I read where you should turn the lights on and off numerous times to get them to sync, but I have tried this and it has not worked. I'll take any help anyone can give me!!!!! The gears and lights work (perfectly) as far as motion and everything of the sort. They just won't work together!!!!!!!! Thanks for any help you might be willing to give!!!!
Old 07-11-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HALL3337
My gear on the drivers side light was stripped. I took it apart replaced it with a new one mounted it, but before putting everything back on I decided to check it out and make sure that it works properly. Well, good thing I checked, because there is a problem. With both the lights turned off and both in the off (down) position, I turn the headlights on the the drivers side stays down with the light on while the passenger side opens and light is on. When I turn them off the passenger does as it should, but the drivers side flips up (on position) but the light itself is off like it is suppose to be. I read through has much of this forum as I could and I read where you should turn the lights on and off numerous times to get them to sync, but I have tried this and it has not worked. I'll take any help anyone can give me!!!!! The gears and lights work (perfectly) as far as motion and everything of the sort. They just won't work together!!!!!!!! Thanks for any help you might be willing to give!!!!
Try pulling the fuse on one light only. Then get them in sync. Then put the fuse back in.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Teching In

so today my passenger headlight wouldn't go up. it didn't make the jackhammer noise, therefor it couldn't bee the gear (i think), it just wouldn't go up. i was able to see the light turn on so what i did i manually raised the light and when it was up i tried to see if it would go down by switching the switch to OFF and sure enough it worked as it should. now that i kinda fixed it for today or however long it decides to be friendly, should i manually lower the light now that its working properly or should i leave it as is? oh, and what should i expect from this? what could have been the problem or what? Thanks guys!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Teching In

ok. heres the deal. my headlights dont always come up. i checked the spade connectors and there was some corrosion on it. i cleaned it off thinking it was the main problem but i guess it wasnt. my headlights come up sometimes, and wen it doesnt all i have to do it turn the manual **** just a little and turn the headlight switch (inside of car) and it does come up. i dont understand wat is the problem. any ideas?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ERL_
ok. heres the deal. my headlights dont always come up. i checked the spade connectors and there was some corrosion on it. i cleaned it off thinking it was the main problem but i guess it wasnt. my headlights come up sometimes, and wen it doesnt all i have to do it turn the manual **** just a little and turn the headlight switch (inside of car) and it does come up. i dont understand wat is the problem. any ideas?
stripped headlight gears...I would guess since u have to hit the manual ****, (changing the gear degree to hit the worm drive on differnt teeth) and then the auto switch will lift it up the rest?...
Old 07-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Question Headlights Are opposite Pos!!!!!

Originally Posted by SpeedSin
So what should i do when one of my headlamps goes up when the other goes down and visa versa? My passenger headlamp is in synch with the switch. The driver side is opposite. What does this mean?
My car has the same problem and I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out why?!?! I did the 180 gear flip fix and the motor sounds fine and stops excatly where it should Its just in the opposite position as my pass. which works perfectly with my switch.

I've tried to manually run it back down when I turn the switch off but it just sits there when I turn the switch on. Everything worked fine b4 my gear stripped out Please HELP
Old 07-22-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Try pulling the fuse on one light only. Then get them in sync. Then put the fuse back in.

Another thought, reset the headlight brain (clipped to the fuse box under the hood) by unplugging both plugs to it, then plugging them back in.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Moz
Launching!

Default Headlight Gear

Does anyone know if one of our LS1Tech sponsor's that sell a Brass or Hard coated aluminum headlight gear?
Old 07-25-2010, 09:35 AM

Default How to Manual flip

This is really helpful, but how do I do the fix if the light wont flip up. Does the light have a manual flip for the 99 trans am?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Moz
Does anyone know if one of our LS1Tech sponsor's that sell a Brass or Hard coated aluminum headlight gear?
PMed!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tejas
This is really helpful, but how do I do the fix if the light wont flip up. Does the light have a manual flip for the 99 trans am?
Look close and you'll see a manual **** on the motor. It has a rubber rain boot over it.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Teching In

how can I make my headlight doors stay down when i have it on the park lights..2002 transam..no prob. with my lights just want 2 drive with my fogs on
Old 07-27-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

id like to know that also
Old 07-28-2010, 02:29 AM
TECH Regular

easy, unplug the headlamp motors lol....cut the fogs on, bam! headlights won't flip up...lmao

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE