Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a friend of mine has this same issue with his 98 t/a the passenger light opens w/o any issues but to close it he has to wind it down by hand sorry u are having problemz hope u can get it fixed
Old 10-25-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by arioch
So in getting my headlight motor replaced, it now operates just fine but wont close all the way down on the drivers side.

I can open the hood and roll the gear by hand and it will go down all the way and stay down, until i pop the lights back up again, then the drivers side will only go about 90% down. any ideas?
Check that the plastic/rubber stopper thing is still there for the arm to hit when the light goes down. Have someone turn off the lights for you and you can watch them go down and see if they hit anything, or go over the stop causing the light to go back up slightly.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok will try that...

any idea on how i would get another one if its missing?
Old 10-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Launching!

i will check on it my T/A...
Old 10-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Default Headlights/Deadlights

I've posted before, but had no luck, so here we go again. My low beams are really really "dim". They kind of just "glow", and I wouldn't say there is any real light being projected forward... If that makes sense. You have to be just about directly in front of the car to actually tell the lights are on. High beams work fine and give a decent amount of light, but when I do switch to highs the passenger side lights (low and high), are non exhistant and totally switch off...Also neither front turn signals work...I've checked and made sure they all have a good connection and they do, but...I've switch out the headlight control module to an older one I had, and still no difference. Can someone please shed some light on my issues...PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE and thank you.

Last edited by 00_Silver_Bird; 10-25-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My passenger side headlight stopped working all together. I already had to replace the gear in it and after about a year it just died. When i put the headlight up manually it bounces on the highway and has play in it. Any ideas or input is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 00_Silver_Bird
I've posted before, but had no luck, so here we go again. My low beams are really really "dim". They kind of just "glow", and I wouldn't say there is any real light being projected forward... If that makes sense. You have to be just about directly in front of the car to actually tell the lights are on. High beams work fine and give a decent amount of light, but when I do switch to highs the passenger side lights (low and high), are non exhistant and totally switch off...Also neither front turn signals work...I've checked and made sure they all have a good connection and they do, but...I've switch out the headlight control module to an older one I had, and still no difference. Can someone please shed some light on my issues...PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE and thank you.
possibly a bad ground
Old 10-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Teching In

think the grounds are fine...the voltmeter is showing there is 11+ volts to each bulb...on one of my inner lamps, the black wire wasn't ground like somehow it was reversed for some reason...
Old 10-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Angry Brand New Headlight Motor.

sup guys, i need help with asap. I have the same problem and have changed the headlight motor 2 times already from my drivers side headlight because thats where the noise is coming from. Each time it has worked for like three days and then starts doing the grinding noise.. I cant afford these headlight motor.. any body have any suggestions? they have to last MORE THAN 3 DAYS!!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^PP Dude, its not your motor, Replace the gear with a brass one.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

When I turn on my headlights on my 94 TA, one of my headlights goes all the way up, and then most of the way back down (but not all of the way... an inch off). When I turn the lights off, it goes back up and then all the way down. There's no abnormal noise.

Does this have anything to do with the gear, or is it a motor problem? It seems like whatever stops the motor from turning once it has the light open isn't working.

I can still wind it up manually and it stays up fine. I replaced the motor about 4 years ago because the mount part of it was cracked, but I did replace it with a refurb.

Last edited by contemptor; 10-30-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:06 PM
Launching!

I read through several pages on here trying to find an answer for this, but I'm not reading through 49 pages.

My gf's bird just did this today after we went and ate dinner. When you turn the headlights on, they pop up, but the lights do not come on. The fogs and DLs still work and so does the high beams if you turn it on, but not the low beams. I think it's probably a ground issue. I'm gonna take it to work with me tomorrow to work on it, but I was hoping to figure out the issue before I get there.

Anyone else have this issue or know what's causing it?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
I read through several pages on here trying to find an answer for this, but I'm not reading through 49 pages.

My gf's bird just did this today after we went and ate dinner. When you turn the headlights on, they pop up, but the lights do not come on. The fogs and DLs still work and so does the high beams if you turn it on, but not the low beams. I think it's probably a ground issue. I'm gonna take it to work with me tomorrow to work on it, but I was hoping to figure out the issue before I get there.

Anyone else have this issue or know what's causing it?
Its in the first post. Check the harness, they tend to develop heavy corrosion (pic in post#1)
Old 11-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Launching!

Why would that knock both sides out tho? They don't run in a series do they?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:53 PM
MHJ

Default Headlights are possessed

New Member - I have read about 3/4 of this thread and haven't seen exactly the same problem as I have. My wife's 97 TransAm's headlights started acting up a few days ago. They do not make any grinding noises, sounds the same as always. The lights are not being affected by the keyfob security system. The lights are always syncronized. They open and close together. Never just one. The day this started we were driving down the interstate with the lights turned off and all of a sudden the headlights came up, a few seconds later back down, for the rest of that trip it was up, down, up, down, up, down ..... On the way back the lights came up as soon as we turned on the key and stayed up until the key was turned off, the light switch was off the whole time. Next time we started out everything was normal. Later in the day it was back to lights up anytime the key was on and down as soon as the key was off. It hasn't done the continuous up, down since the first day. So far I have not had any trouble with night time driving. If the lights are turned on they come up and stay up. It's only when the lights are turned off that they have a mind of their own. The lights have never stuck open or closed, If the light switch is off and the key is off they are down. If the light switch is off and the key is on then they may be up or down. If the light switch is on and the key is on then they are up.

I don't seem to have the stripped gear symptoms. The doors open and close perfectly and with the normal sound. No extra noises. No hesitations. They just come up at times when they should not.

So what's the verdict? Stripped gear, missing or bent stop, loose motor, corroded connector, Halloween spooks?

Almost forgot, they started doing something else yesterday. Twice we started the car and the lights stayed down but the first time we used the left turnsignal the headlights jumped right up and stayed up until key off. I tried the right turn signal and it had no effect on the headlights just the left turn signal triggered the headlights. Wierd Huh?

Thanks

Last edited by MHJ; 11-02-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 11-02-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MHJ, sounds like the Automatic Headlight module is screwing up. Normally it would turn on the headlights at night, but only if there was a light sensor installed like on the camaro's and Canadian TA's. It's a little black box behind the radio in the upper right area. It must have a loose connection or something in it. I recommend replacing it with one from a junked F-body.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Location: Current camp lejuene NC,, Back home is Soo michigan

ok ive searched and searched for somthing related to the problem that i have but i have only found stuff for the grinding or if one headlight wont go up or if they arnt in sync. one day my headlighs worked perfectly fine no problems no noice nothing out of the ordinary then that same day i was driving down the road and it was getting into night time so i turned the headlights on and the lights themselves came on but they did not flip up i flipped the switch a bunch of times shut off the car tried it again checked all my connections/grounds everything looks ok but they still dont flip up or down so i tried cranking the manual headligh thing and couldnt do it by hand so i tried an allen wrench and it slipped so i didnt keep trying it so i would strip the plastic out really bad im sure its somthing stupidly easy but if you could help me that would be great
Old 11-11-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Guys, I'm been planning on building some fixed headlights using projector lenses. Now I'm thinking of moving the projectors down to the turn signal locations.

I know there are headlight height laws here in TX and that this new location is lower than the law allows. Do you think I'd be able to pass the annual inspection?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by malicc08
ok ive searched and searched for somthing related to the problem that i have but i have only found stuff for the grinding or if one headlight wont go up or if they arnt in sync. one day my headlighs worked perfectly fine no problems no noice nothing out of the ordinary then that same day i was driving down the road and it was getting into night time so i turned the headlights on and the lights themselves came on but they did not flip up i flipped the switch a bunch of times shut off the car tried it again checked all my connections/grounds everything looks ok but they still dont flip up or down so i tried cranking the manual headligh thing and couldnt do it by hand so i tried an allen wrench and it slipped so i didnt keep trying it so i would strip the plastic out really bad im sure its somthing stupidly easy but if you could help me that would be great
Both lights you say?

It's unlikely that both headlight door fuses blew at the same time, but check them anyway. They are under the hood.

If they are good, I'd say to check the headlight brain box on the side of the fuse boxes. Find a friend with a similar car and ask to swap the boxes just to check. It takes less than 2 minutes, very easy.

If they start working again then that's your problem and a strip to a salvage yard is the best solution.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Teching In

I have a headlight that burns extra bright. People always think I have my high beams on. It lasts about 2 or 3 months of moderate driving before I have to get a new one.... any ideas?

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE