Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

On the birds only the DRL will light up (with the exception of Canadian models, which have automatic headlights)
Old 11-13-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
On the birds only the DRL will light up (with the exception of Canadian models, which have automatic headlights)
Interesting. Thanks.
Has anybody done a mod to make them automatic like the Canadian ones?
Old 11-23-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 Firebird driver-side headlight won't come up - Not Gear either!

I need some help! 5 or 6 years ago, I performed the "GEAR FIX" for both headlights...so, I know what "that" particular issue sounds like, etc...however, this is different!
About 4-weeks ago, my driver-side headlight decided not to come up period! I am afraid that the issue lies somewhere other than with the motor -( ...unless it is completely burned up and not functioning at all! )- I am curious as to why this would happen/occur? I have inspected the headlight assembly to "see" if a terminal came loose, any "burn" marks anywhere, etc...but alas, no "loose/unplugged" terminal or any of the other items I mentioned...
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, ideas, etc...

<>< Scott
Old 11-24-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smeadows00
I need some help! 5 or 6 years ago, I performed the "GEAR FIX" for both headlights...so, I know what "that" particular issue sounds like, etc...however, this is different!
About 4-weeks ago, my driver-side headlight decided not to come up period! I am afraid that the issue lies somewhere other than with the motor -( ...unless it is completely burned up and not functioning at all! )- I am curious as to why this would happen/occur? I have inspected the headlight assembly to "see" if a terminal came loose, any "burn" marks anywhere, etc...but alas, no "loose/unplugged" terminal or any of the other items I mentioned...
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, ideas, etc...

<>< Scott
Take a look at your headlight motor and see if the cover may have come off. If it did your headlight motor will not work. Also check to see if the top outer portion of the headlight is making contact with the hood. I've had that problem before.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
Take a look at your headlight motor and see if the cover may have come off. If it did your headlight motor will not work. Also check to see if the top outer portion of the headlight is making contact with the hood. I've had that problem before.
I will, thanks! This is probably one of the craziest things to happen to this car...I mean, for it to be working with absolutely no problem(s)/issue(s) whatsoever; -{...of course that is, considering that I took care of the "gear crunching" noise a few years back...}-absolutely "NO" noise, motor spinning or running, or nothing...I can't wait to look at the headlight motor to check for the cover...thanks again! I'll update in a bit!
Happy Thanksgiving! ( ...albeit a day late! )
Old 12-15-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

I posted this over in the hybrd section before I saw this sticky, perhaps one of you gentlemen can answer the question.

I'm going to use the engine bay power harness in my 67 Camaro Rally sport swap. There is a module that runs the headlight doors connected to the fuse block. I'm thinking maybe I can use that to operate my RS doors (also electric). Does anyone know how that works or have any diagrams of what the outputs are? Good idea or not?

On the 67, it uses limit switchs at the end of travel of the doors, however I think the 4th gen uses motor resistance?
Old 12-15-2011, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Ok i'll on this.
I've been trying to fix my headlight motor for the past hour or so, don all the steps but the lower/raise arm is stuck, Ive soaked in with wd40 and still no budge! What do I do!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Is reattaching the raise lower arm suppose to a pain on the a$$?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jvmun
Is reattaching the raise lower arm suppose to a pain on the a$$?
Those heads lights kicked my ***
Old 12-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Default Need Help

I just replaced the stripped gear in my 2002 TA with a new brass gear. All went well. The battery died after about 3 hours I guess because something was running. When I powered up the battery and the motors worked fine I noticed something odd. The headlights were all on when in the non high beam mode and when I switched to high beam mode only the passenger side both lit. Furthermore in normal mode all of the headlights are on and all 3 except for the passenger far outside bulb are dim. I thought maybe i twisted the harness so I tried the opposite but no go. Anyone know what might be the problem?
Old 12-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Ok i'll on this.
I've been trying to fix my headlight motor for the past hour or so, don all the steps but the lower/raise arm is stuck, Ive soaked in with wd40 and still no budge! What do I do!
It will. Keep at it Mine did not at first but it did.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

My passenger side motor is eating gears every 2 weeks. Both metal and nylon. The gear seems to be stripped right on the edge. I cant tell whats causing it. Help appreciated.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

I fixed the problem. I clean the wiring harness and reconnected it and the worked. I must not have put it back secrely or something got lodged in it. Works fine
Old 12-25-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Veteran

^ usually that's the sign of a corroded harness
Old 12-26-2011, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

So I replaced the old stripped gears with new ones(both), put them back and they were working perfectly for two days, then the driver side light started grind on the way up. The next time it didnt go up all the way and when I turn them off the right one did not go down and would not.
So I tried to fix them by removing the arms and making sure the arms positioned correctly. They would both work fine for one pop up/down, they would grind and the again all jacked up. I repeated this about 4 times before tiredness and frustration got the best of me. The last time the driver side popped up and would not go down, the left one just made that noise we all hate. So I unhooked them and left them down.
Is possible for my new gears to have stripped already? Or can it be my up/down arms? They seems flimsy to me.
Anyone got suggestions?
I must solve this problem, it being my daily driver(have to travel a lot) I need lights

Last edited by Jvmun; 12-26-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

So I replaced the old stripped gears with new ones(both), put them back and they were working perfectly for two days, then the driver side light started grind on the way up. The next time it didnt go up all the way and when I turn them off the right one did not go down and would not.
So I tried to fix them by removing the arms and making sure the arms positioned correctly. They would both work fine for one pop up/down, they would grind and the again all jacked up. I repeated this about 4 times before tiredness and frustration got the best of me. The last time the driver side popped up and would not go down, the left one just made that noise we all hate. So I unhooked them and left them down.
Is possible for my new gears to have stripped already? Or can it be my up/down arms? They seems flimsy to me.
Anyone got suggestions?
I must solve this problem, it being my daily driver(have to travel a lot) I need lights
Yes, your gear has stripped again. Mine stripped within 2 days of installed a new nylon gear aswell and also stripped on the way up. Its very annoying. The metal gear didn't solve the problem either. It took longer for it to strip, but it still stripped.

I am still trying to figure out whats causing this but I think its the motor. I think I have a faulty motor, even though its brand new... I'm going to replace it under warranty and cross my fingers.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Yes, your gear has stripped again. Mine stripped within 2 days of installed a new nylon gear aswell and also stripped on the way up. Its very annoying. The metal gear didn't solve the problem either. It took longer for it to strip, but it still stripped.

I am still trying to figure out whats causing this but I think its the motor. I think I have a faulty motor, even though its brand new... I'm going to replace it under warranty and cross my fingers.
I suppose it could be my motors too.. I'll try some new ones.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Seems the drive gear is flexing. Make sure the tabs on the motor cover are tight, you can try to "shim" the drive gear so it is tight against the metal gear.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
Seems the drive gear is flexing. Make sure the tabs on the motor cover are tight, you can try to "shim" the drive gear so it is tight against the metal gear.
I really wish I had more time to work on it, but I bought new motors today out of necessity; they're going in tonight. Work 12 hours next two days then I must travel.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

Done.
After I mounted the motors and hooked everything up the driver side wouldn't do anything(new motors). All I did was turn the **** a little and it started working. The passenger one is working perfect, arm goes from bump to bump stop, but it's slower than the driver's. Which doesn't even come near the bumps despite my repeated efforts to adjust the arm. But it raises and collapses completely. Driver side arm is somewhat flimsy or "has some play" to it. Wondering if that may be a problem?
But I feel bitterly accomplish. Hopefully these last

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE