Go Back  LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion > VEHICLE SPECIFIC FORUMS > Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002
Reload this Page >

1999 Pontiac Firebird Formula SLP Firehawk is Practically Brand-New

Notices
Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Old 05-09-2019, 05:26 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Default 1999 Pontiac Firebird Formula SLP Firehawk is Practically Brand-New

By Joseph Coelho

How did this 20-year old time capsule fare at a recent auction?

Old 05-09-2019, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Default 2002 Firehawk

My family actually has a 2002 Firehawk with 93 miles. Wonder what it would bring considering what this brought.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

$30,000 was the price and I agree with some of the others mentioned in the slide show that it was a good buy. You can't turn the clock back with cars but once in awhile it actually does happen. Despite the non-use I have found that these more modern cars don't deteriorate like cars from decades earlier (even the 80's) when so many things fail due to age. Other than fluids, it should be good to go for the new owner unless it's just going to sit again.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Beautiful car.. Have a hair over 400 miles on my DEI. Yes, very hard to enjoy the miles. But each one is a joy.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Isn't $30K about what this car would've stickered new? Great that it didn't depreciate much over the years (assuming no inflation), but hardly getting to drive it for 17 years seems like a high price to pay for that.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

^^ It's certainly a horrible investment money-wise for the owner, but it sure is amazing that 20 years later (it's a 1999), if you missed out on buying one then, that you can still get one for the same price. It's like telling the salesman at the old Pontiac dealership, "Can you hold this for me for 20 years when I can afford it??" Very cool
Old 05-14-2019, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

It's great these cars are getting a good price. That's what us owners want. Nobody wants a depreciating asset. I believe it could've gotten more than $30K.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:42 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by NC01TA View Post
^^ It's certainly a horrible investment money-wise for the owner, but it sure is amazing that 20 years later (it's a 1999), if you missed out on buying one then, that you can still get one for the same price. It's like telling the salesman at the old Pontiac dealership, "Can you hold this for me for 20 years when I can afford it??" Very cool
I agree; financially this was actually a terrible investment over a 20 year period. Based on original MSRP (which doesn't even include sales tax and also assumes a cash purchase), $30k doesn't even come close to keeping up with inflation - not to mention the cost of proper insurance and such over all those years. One could have done much better with such basic and 100% secure investments as bank CDs or T-notes over the same period. Granted, there is sometimes money to be made in buying and selling just the right car at just the right moments, but buying one brand new and stashing it for 20 years almost never proves to be a sound financial decision. That's something which should only be done for reasons of personal pleasure and love of the hobby.

Having said all that, I also completely agree that it's very cool to see cars like this. I've found great pleasure in keeping mine as much of a time capsule as possible as well, but at 18k miles it's not nearly as "new" as this one. I'm thankful I was in a position to buy two of these LS1 4th gens when they were actually still brand new, but examples like this are the closest thing anyone will find today - that's a nice treat for folks who didn't have the chance when they were still in the showroom.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: