Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Ticking LS1

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004 | 08:20 AM
Teching In

Cool Ticking LS1

I have a 02 Ram Air that likes to tick on start up after the engine idles down. It also ticks if left at idle, and after the cars sits for 10-15 min.and re started. I can hear (20 yards away)every lifter hiting like the lifters are not pumped up.
I had a guy off LS1.com tell me it was the Pistons moving the liners up and down. I dont feel this is the problem ,I hear 16 ticks not 8. I have read there is a sevice notice about a bad gaskit on the oil pump. I also have a vibration in the motor or tourqe converter, Dealer has put a E.V.M. on the car and moved the converter to the spot of least viberation, It still viberats.
Mostly around 2500 to 3500 rpm. Also the drive shaft feels like it is vibrating also. For this problem they rebuilt my Dif. and replaced an axel. still have all vibrations. The car only has 20,000 miles on it and i have warrenty till 7/05. I just would like some feed back from T/A owners, see if these problems are model wide.

Thanks J Rogers.
Old 12-13-2004 | 08:21 AM
Teching In

It sounds like the motor is 3qts low on oil. oil PSI. is great. ticking go's away upon increase in RPM. Then to top it off, it comes and go's.
And it vibrates on rev up to, and down from about 3500 rpm. I dont know if you guy's know of Drago Corvete shop here in Flint .He is the one that picked up the vibration in the motor, I went their to get his opinion on the ticking. He put my hand on the motor and brought the rpm's up to 3,000 and said I would be more worried about this vibration. These motor's are balanced,and it should not vibrate like this. I dident get the motor to tick for him. This is a Cirtified Used car from JIM WALDRON in Davison Mi. and I can't get any help from them. Took it to Flushing to the pontiac dealer there and they put the EVM on it and rebuilt the Dif. and replaced an axel. Still have a vibration going down the road. So much so, that my noise tickles, and you can feel it in your a** Still ticks and it still vibrate's when I rev the motor,and when i go down the road, when I stop the car. ie: front rotor's. It's like owning a sweet looking pice of ****! I looked high and low for a low mi. 02 from TX to FL to MI, On E-Bay to cars.com. I guess i looked to hard I just want GM to fix their #&*@. I guess it's time to get pontiac on the line, and start making some noise. This why I love these group's. I run a Sprinter problems group on yahoo so people can see through the crap the dealerships like to feed people. Once again thanks for all of your feed back!
Old 12-13-2004 | 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

piston slap perhaps..
Old 12-14-2004 | 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Probably piston slap, but it never hurts to check it out.
Old 12-16-2004 | 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Piston slap! tap tap tap. I got use to it after awhile.
Old 12-16-2004 | 10:29 AM
Teching In

Piston slap? or bad oil pickup tube O ring. This is what im down to, Im still under my 3yr 36 till 07/05. Has anyone had to beat the **** out out the dealer to get this fix?

Thanks J Rogers
Old 12-16-2004 | 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chickinman
Piston slap? or bad oil pickup tube O ring. This is what im down to, Im still under my 3yr 36 till 07/05. Has anyone had to beat the **** out out the dealer to get this fix?

Thanks J Rogers
Maybe you can get a new motor out of the deal, some have. However, its most likely piston slap and there's nothing you can really do about it, it won't affect performance, and my knock sensors have never picked it up.

Trending Topics

Old 12-16-2004 | 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

hey chickinman,

i got the same **** with mine. i got my 02 ws6 with 9500 miles on it and after a few days i noticed the knocking and ticking. it seems like its hit or miss with these cars. it just blows me away how gm could design such a great looking car and then **** up on engine. i have heard all kinds of reasons why they stopped making these cars, except for the one that is obvious to me,IT A GREAT LOOKING, PIECE OF ****. I've been talking with some mustang people and granted the stang does not have the looks or power of the t/a(not talking about cobra's), but they do not have any of the issues that alot of t/a owners have. a guy down the street has a gt with a few mods and beats the **** out it, i hear him every morning leaving for work and gets on it, no knockin, or eating oil or any other stuff. i'm not saying that mustags dont have any problems, but not on the level like the t/a. dont get me wrong, i dont care for the mustang, but ****, if ******* ford can get it right, then why cant gm
Old 12-16-2004 | 10:30 PM
Teching In

Well just to fill ya in billybob I am a ford tech and Ford has the same piston slap problem in their V8's also i owned a 99 f-150 that sounded the same way my 02 T/A sounds .... But i agree GM should do somthing with some of their problems .... Piston slap tho isnt anything to worry about.... But one thing im having alot of problems with the dealership is getting my rearend fixed, it whines that bad at 60mph that i sware there is a fire truck behind me and the pinion seal leaks also but no dealership wants to fix it for me im about to rip it appart myself ......Good luck Chickinman with calling Pontiac and making noise it really wont get ya anywhere other then relieving some stress
Old 12-16-2004 | 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Woah there billy bob, settle down. Ever owned a mustang? You'd be regretting that statement. The motor definately does not ******* blow. Its about the best street motor ever designed. Very high hp, strong, and very fuel efficient, many fbodys get better mpg than the average v6 sedan. I've beat the crap out of my ta, and so has its old owner. I feed it fresh oil every 3k and take perfect care of it. I can live with a tad bit of harmless ticking and oil consumption, remember its a high performance car, not an econo box, don't expect it to be one.

Last edited by SmokingWS6; 12-18-2004 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-17-2004 | 01:19 PM
Teching In

I think it is the oil seal. The ticking goes away with higher oil psi. And all the noise is coming from the top of the motor. Wouldent P/S come more from the middle of the Motor?
Old 12-17-2004 | 01:25 PM
Teching In

Has any one pulled the oil pump off their LS1 a few tip's would be nice

J.Rogers

Last edited by Chickinman; 12-17-2004 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-18-2004 | 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly I'd say its PS. it taps near the top of the block, and is only audiable below 1000 rpm. If it was a rod knock or oil pump youd know it. Crawl up under the oil pan with it running, you should be able to hear the tapping.
Old 12-18-2004 | 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

You can get more info about piston slap here:

http://www.pistonslap.com/

My 2000 Z-28 had it, everytime I brought this sound to GM's attention, they call it a normal noise. I complained so much GM gave me a 100,000 mile warranty on the motor.
Old 12-19-2004 | 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00 Z-28
You can get more info about piston slap here:

http://www.pistonslap.com/

My 2000 Z-28 had it, everytime I brought this sound to GM's attention, they call it a normal noise. I complained so much GM gave me a 100,000 mile warranty on the motor.

Holy Crap, their sound clips sound horrible compared to mine. whew!

You need super hearing to detect mine.
Old 12-19-2004 | 01:07 AM
TECH Regular

Mine does it ever so slightly. It pulls like a beast and doesn't seem to affect performance and certainly not driveability. But it does annoy me.
Old 12-19-2004 | 04:49 AM
TECH Resident

My 4.8 has a bit of piston slap but it goes away with time.
Old 12-19-2004 | 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

WOW! I had no idea some were so bad. If I bought a vehicle that sounded like that after a short period of time I'd be breaking my foot off in someone's ***.
Old 12-19-2004 | 11:10 AM
Launching!

well as far as the driveshaft vibrating, it could be outta balance. mine was and i just bought a new one, vibrations gone.

my bird has never had piston slap or anything, it purs like a kitten even after 134k miles. i guess its one advantage of having an iron block.
Old 12-26-2004 | 09:05 PM
On The Tree

my 02 t/a does the same thing sometimes but everyone says its normal for ls1 to tap a little bit but now that i have read this thread i am thinking i need to go take it to get looked at because im still under factory warrenty until feb

Quick Reply: Ticking LS1