Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2000 Salad Shooter Style Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2000 Salad Shooter Style Wheels

Can anybody tell me how many of these wheels were produced? Correct me if I am wrong but they were never mass produced. Thanks
Old 03-12-2005, 12:40 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, 2000 is one of the years most lacking in production data so we don't know exact numbers. Here's what I've found, though

8,421 WS6s that year (see https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....08&postcount=3 )

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....85&postcount=2 - differences between years
2000:
4. Very early run of WS6s had "salad shooter" style rims. A production change switched back to standard 5-spoke WS6 rims.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/248644-these-wheels-rare.html - thread 3 months ago from someone else who has those wheels and was wondering about them
Originally Posted by casey02ws6
I was told they were only on < 200 WS6s in 2000. I bought my whole set for $350 (I had a cracked wheel and needed a quick fix)
http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coup...9912_firebird/ - car review of a black 2000 WS6 with those wheels ("new for 2000, 17x9.0-inch twisted-design polished-aluminum wheels"), with a photo

Photo of a white WS6 with the wheels: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....55&postcount=8

Thread from someone with a 2001 WS6 who ended up with them: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/285818-my-2001-ws6-why-do-i-not-see-them-many-ws6.html

Last edited by ACW; 05-05-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:44 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you for the information. Is there anyone that I could call or email to possibly get this more information. I would think that they would have to have the information somewhere.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:06 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I've only seen one T/A with them, and that was at last year's Trans Am Nationals in Dayton, OH. It was a black car just like all the pics published in the Firebird books.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:22 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 00BadassTA
Thank you for the information. Is there anyone that I could call or email to possibly get this more information. I would think that they would have to have the information somewhere.
Don't know for sure, but I've heard that some of the detailed records such as 2000 may have been lost in a fire. You could try ASC (although the last time someone tried them recently, they said they don't give out production/build# info anymore ), Pontiac customer service, and/or Pontiac Historical Services. I've seen people post information about their car from all of these in the past, but I don't know which - if any - would have the info you want.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

I really appreciate the help. I might just give ASC a call and see what they have to say.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

ttt with more info

The white car linked in second post is mine

My 2000 WS6 car was #81 modified by ASC for 2000. the rims were an optional wheel for a WS6 in 2000, and as far as I understand, they were discontinued, either due to supplier problems or people REALLY HATING THEM.

Here's a few pics, more on my website: rare 2000 WS6 salad shooters rims

The wheel's in my sig as well
Old 06-20-2005, 10:23 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Oh, cool, so that's your site! I found your production numbers page not long ago, it's great
Old 06-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ACW
Oh, cool, so that's your site! I found your production numbers page not long ago, it's great
Yup, the site's mine (thanks!), the rims are mine as well!

The production numbers page seems to be helping out a lot of people trying to get info on firebird production numbers. I'm currently researching 2002 to complete the set. Oh, the gm firebird production numbers are here.

/marina
Old 06-20-2005, 01:34 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

So they produced only 1 rim and just used 4 of them? Looks like the left side goes point first and the right side the opposite direction. A shame, because if they all went in the same direction it would be a pretty cool look. (asymmetry really puts me off. lol)
Old 06-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HPP
So they produced only 1 rim and just used 4 of them? Looks like the left side goes point first and the right side the opposite direction. A shame, because if they all went in the same direction it would be a pretty cool look. (asymmetry really puts me off. lol)
"the left side goes point first and the right side the opposite direction"? -- what do you mean?
Old 06-20-2005, 02:49 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Look at those 2 pics you posted. On the driver's side, the small spoke is to the rear. On the passenger side, it's to the front.

The effect is like an agressive saw blade on the driver's side where the points of the teeth bite into the material. Where as on the other side, it's more like a meat slicer. The "edge" of the blade, rather than the point, is "cutting", and points curve away from the direction of rotation.

Basically what happens when 1 wheel is put on 2 sides of the car. They'd need to produce 2 wheels. A left and a right.

I guess it's more difficult to put it into words exactly than it seems. Hope I did a better job this time.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Most common comment I hear when people see my car.....I hated those until I saw them in person on your car! As you can see in the post listed above I put them on my 2002. My stock speedlines were cracked (2 of them). I like them and buying them cheap helped me do the performance mods I wanted to do first. I have seen 1 other T/A with them and it was black - I did not like them on the black car for some reason.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Rare bird - I found this posted elsewhere on this sight in a listing I think. Has some production numbers for 2002 WS6s.

Hi Todd,

According to our records, your S/N XXXXXX is a silver 2002 WS6 with T-tops and a manual transmission. It was converted by ASC March 5, 2002 and was our build number 6,471.

The 2002 model year WS6 breakdown is:
12,517 "regular" (non-Collector Edition) WS6s built
10,888 T-Tops
6,622 manual transmissions
1,243 silver

With your specific combination (silver, T-Tops, manual trans), we built 607.

I hope this information is helpful. Take care.

Marty Straub
Program Manager
ASC Incorporated

Not sure about the accuracy but looks legit.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HPP
Look at those 2 pics you posted. On the driver's side, the small spoke is to the rear. On the passenger side, it's to the front.

The effect is like an agressive saw blade on the driver's side where the points of the teeth bite into the material. Where as on the other side, it's more like a meat slicer. The "edge" of the blade, rather than the point, is "cutting", and points curve away from the direction of rotation.

Basically what happens when 1 wheel is put on 2 sides of the car. They'd need to produce 2 wheels. A left and a right.

I guess it's more difficult to put it into words exactly than it seems. Hope I did a better job this time.
After work i went outside and looked at the rims - you're right. One side the wide spokes are forward, on the other the thin ones are ahead - for some reason i never noticed it. It does look funny, but barely noticeable.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Most common comment I hear when people see my car.....I hated those until I saw them in person on your car! As you can see in the post listed above I put them on my 2002. My stock speedlines were cracked (2 of them). I like them and buying them cheap helped me do the performance mods I wanted to do first. I have seen 1 other T/A with them and it was black - I did not like them on the black car for some reason.
Casey, your car looks great with them I get the same types of comments: i hated the wheels until i saw them in person.

I would like to ask your permission to put the picture of your car and specs on my site's page, is it ok? It will go here: http://www.marshu.com/ws6-rare-ws6-p...ad-shooter.php I think people looking for more information on these wheels will appreciate a vew of another car with them, expecially a different color

Oh, and thanks for the specs for '02. I'll add them to the site.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HPP
The same goes for the '93-'94 TA/Formula salad shooters, which these wheels are sort of based off of (luckily these WS6 wheels turned out to not be hideous like the early salad shooters ).

Tom
Old 06-21-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RareBird WS6
Casey, your car looks great with them I get the same types of comments: i hated the wheels until i saw them in person.

I would like to ask your permission to put the picture of your car and specs on my site's page, is it ok? It will go here: http://www.marshu.com/ws6-rare-ws6-p...ad-shooter.php I think people looking for more information on these wheels will appreciate a vew of another car with them, expecially a different color

Oh, and thanks for the specs for '02. I'll add them to the site.
No problem - I would love for my car to be used on your site - I need some updated ones! If you look in the thread above there are several other pix - use whatever you like! Here is a link where there is a much better picture - if you can figure out how to use it be my guest - not good with photos!

http://www.cofba.org/users/billiumss...%20Dyno%20Day/

Last edited by casey02ws6; 06-21-2005 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 06-21-2005, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00BadassTA
Can anybody tell me how many of these wheels were produced? Correct me if I am wrong but they were never mass produced. Thanks

I have heard that some of the early 2001s had them and thats why i have them but i have no real proof to that. Is it posible for anyone to find out if this is true?
Attached Thumbnails 2000 Salad Shooter Style Wheels-dsc01179.jpg  
Old 06-23-2005, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

No problem - I would love for my car to be used on your site - I need some updated ones! If you look in the thread above there are several other pix - use whatever you like! Here is a link where there is a much better picture - if you can figure out how to use it be my guest - not good with photos!

http://www.cofba.org/users/billiumss...%20Dyno%20Day/
Got the pictures, they're GOOD I'll let you know when i put the page together, maybe this weekend thanks again!

Quick Reply: 2000 Salad Shooter Style Wheels