Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

91 Firebird starter installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Firebird starter installation

I recently got my very first car, a 91 firebird 3.1 v6 automatic (95K). Its in pretty good condition but the starter went on me. I have a new starter that I got for free from my uncle, but I only have basic knowledge on cars. I dont want to attempt replacing the starter until I know what I'm doing. Could someone walk me through it? I'm told replacing the starter is pretty easy but...
Old 04-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

1. buy the chilton/haynes book.

or

draw a pic of how teh wires go to the starter, adn whih way it is facing. Disconnect teh neg batt cable ( unless you're feeling bulky). Remove the wires from the starter/solinoid & put the nuts back on the starter. There are 2 bolts holding the starter on, 15 mm IIRC. remove, but remember, starters ain tthe lightest thing in the world, be prepared for crushed hand/fingers when it drops. ALso, there will most likely be shims between the starter & block , keep these close to your heart,as they are there ( in that amount) to keep teh starter gear from grinding teh flywheel/flexplate & close enough not to eat the teeth. take old starter to parts store & compare w/new one before turning over as core. install in reverse.

Make sure all connections tight, including neg batt cable, start up, & find your presets again.

I think that's about it.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:40 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AutoZone has put a lot of older Chilton's manuals online!

82-92 Camaro/Firebird starter replacement instructions:
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801631e2.jsp

Here's the main page for that manual: http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d80199c9f.jsp
Old 04-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, that really helps. Now I just need to get the proper tools. :\
Old 04-05-2005, 05:26 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TransAmMike
Thanks guys, that really helps. Now I just need to get the proper tools. :\
You might want to go to AutoZone for that if you aren't ready to purchase them, actually... they loan out tools to people - they promote the 'specialty tools' being loaned out, but when I was at an AutoZone on Saturday there was a guy working on his truck in the parking lot who kept going inside to borrow different sizes of basic wrenches... so if the ones in your area are like that too, you can probably borrow anything you'd need from them
Old 04-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ACW
You might want to go to AutoZone for that if you aren't ready to purchase them, actually... they loan out tools to people - they promote the 'specialty tools' being loaned out, but when I was at an AutoZone on Saturday there was a guy working on his truck in the parking lot who kept going inside to borrow different sizes of basic wrenches... so if the ones in your area are like that too, you can probably borrow anything you'd need from them
For a price? Or is there somethin they do to prevent you from stealing them? Not that I wanna steal em I just find it odd that they'd just hand em out assuming everyone are good honest ppl.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:43 PM

You put down a deposit
Old 04-13-2005, 11:43 PM

If you don't return the parts... you don't get your deposit back

Quick Reply: 91 Firebird starter installation