Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Some tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 02:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some tire questions

I'm currently restoring my 69 Firebird 350. I was talking w/ my buddies earlier and they mentioned that it would be a good idea to put some really big and "fat" tires on my ride. I personally like the idea but am not sure about the consequences. Does anyone know which are the biggest tires that can be put on a 69 Firebird that is stock? I'm planning to raise the rear a bit to give it a more aggressive look so that should be taken into consideration as well. I was wondering what is considered a nice looking setup. I was thinking 295/60-15 rear and 275/60-15 front or 315-60-15 rear and 275/60-15 front. Also, what negative effects can come from putting too big size tires? I've heard that tires that are too big can just slow u down. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by musclebird69
I'm currently restoring my 69 Firebird 350. I was talking w/ my buddies earlier and they mentioned that it would be a good idea to put some really big and "fat" tires on my ride. I personally like the idea but am not sure about the consequences. Does anyone know which are the biggest tires that can be put on a 69 Firebird that is stock? I'm planning to raise the rear a bit to give it a more aggressive look so that should be taken into consideration as well. I was wondering what is considered a nice looking setup. I was thinking 295/60-15 rear and 275/60-15 front or 315-60-15 rear and 275/60-15 front. Also, what negative effects can come from putting too big size tires? I've heard that tires that are too big can just slow u down. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Negative effects? Well, since you're exposing more "width" to the road, you're more likely to pick up nails and, depending on the tread design, you might be more susceptible to hydroplaning in the rain. These are effects I've noted myself after driving many cars with ultrawide tires.

A common misconception: Wide tires DO NOT put more rubber on the road, assuming the same tire pressure. The amount of rubber on the road is dependent on tread design, tire pressure and vehicle weight. For a given weight and tire pressure, any tire will have the same sized rubber "patch" on the road.

I agree that wide tires look good. And you can more easily run lower pressures to increase traction. But these days, with soft-compound drag-radials available, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a tire, even one that's not ultra-wide, that will hook up your 350.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I'm looking into some BF Goodrich Drag Radials or some Mickey Thompson's, but I wondered what size was compatible with the stock ride height and if too big of tires would clash w/ the wheel housing while turning and such...
Old 04-06-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm sure you've got some issues on the wheelwells on that car - they look even smaller than the 2nd-gen cars. I've only had 2nd gen and up cars, so I'm not sure what will fit. I'll give you a TTT to see if anyone out there knows what will fit in the wheelwells of a first-gen F-body.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Glyselle
I'm sure you've got some issues on the wheelwells on that car - they look even smaller than the 2nd-gen cars. I've only had 2nd gen and up cars, so I'm not sure what will fit. I'll give you a TTT to see if anyone out there knows what will fit in the wheelwells of a first-gen F-body.
Sorry to ask but I'm new to the site and I'm not up to speed with the forum lingo, what does TTT mean? Anyway, thanks for the help, hopefully someone out there has encountered my situation before and can give me some insight on it. Once again thanks for the response.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:01 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by musclebird69
Sorry to ask but I'm new to the site and I'm not up to speed with the forum lingo, what does TTT mean?
TTT = To The Top, meaning bring a thread back up to the top of the list of active threads in the forum so it's more easily noticed

Might want to take a look at https://ls1tech.com/acronyms.html
Old 04-07-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry you're not getting any answers, Musclebird. This might not be the best place to post, since most guys have later model cars.

There are some other boards out there for earlier cars. Here's one:

http://forums.performanceyears.com/6/ubb.x

There's another big one that I can't remember . . .
Old 04-07-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's another for you:

http://classicalpontiac.com/
Old 04-07-2005, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Glyselle
Here's another for you:

http://classicalpontiac.com/
thanks for all the help glyselle, I'll make sure to check out the sites
Old 04-12-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

I currently have 295/50's on 15x10's on the back of mine. They have many miles on there. They work fine, but the car has never done anything but spun them. They wouldn't hook up till 4th gear. As for the big fat tire, I'm trying to go with my 335/30/18's if I can get them to fit.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

I also have 295/50/15's on 15x10's in the rear of my '78. Heres a pic.

Quick Reply: Some tire questions