Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Ram air without the Ram air?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram air without the Ram air?

I recently bought a 2001 T/A WS6 6 speed that is "stock" according to the dealer I bought it from. I took notice recently after seeing my friends and other WS6s that under the hood the stock air box and intake above the radiator is different than all of the other WS6s I have seen. The lid doesn't say "Ram Air" and the gap between the bottom of the intake tray and the radiator is narrower than all of the other ones I have seen. It looks like the person who had it before me scrambled to throw an intake on it from a regular T/A or a LS1 Camaro when they where trying to sell it.

I haven't been around T/As that much especially WS6s so I didn't notice and think to ask when I was buying it.

I know it isn't the right intake, my question is should I care or be worried?
And for the sake of my OCD what would be the best way to get a Ram Air box for my Ram Air? I feel like a goob.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Check for the "WS6" RPO code on the driver's-side door decal. No WS6 code on the door decal means it's not a real WS6. There is a possibility that the car is just a base-model Trans Am that someone has put a ram air hood on. Unfortunately, the hood swap happens all the time. Many times these cars are passed off as WS6 cars due to many factors be it intentional or unintentional (dishonesty, ignorance, etc). The gap in the intake base on your 'bird is definitely from a base-model Trans Am.

Many of the aftermarket ram air hoods are shaped differently enough that you can easily tell a fake from an OEM hood. Now that wouldn't stop a person from actually getting an OEM ram air hood to put on a base-model 'bird, but it's not as common due to the high cost of the OEM hood versus an aftermarket one.

Does the car have the 16" Chromed Aluminum Wheels with the "ABS" center caps, or does it have the 17" Polished Aluminum Wheels with the "WS6" center caps. The wheels would be easy to swap, but this could be an immediate sign of a fake if the 16" wheels are on the car.

The "WS6" emblems can also be easily added to the car as well as the "Ram Air" decals on the hood.

I'm not trying to scare you. I'm just pointing out things you need to look for to determine the authenticity of your 'bird.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Launching!

what about the title wouldnt that tell you i dunno? ws6's sell for a little more i hope you didnt get a base ta for a ws6 price you might look into that keep us posted.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:45 AM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by t-rocks firehawk
what about the title wouldnt that tell you i dunno? ws6's sell for a little more i hope you didnt get a base ta for a ws6 price you might look into that keep us posted.
I guess it could depending on what state you live in. The telltale sign of authenticity is the RPO decal on the driver's door.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by t-rocks firehawk
No the title is based off the Vin # and the Vin's don't even distinguish between Formula or Trans Am.
The Only real way to determine Model and Options is the RPO sticker on the drivers door.
But the Vin # can be checked against ASC's records to find out if it was one of the converted cars.
Again though checking the RPO Sticker is easier.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

It is a true WS6. The RPO code is there and it has the 17" wheels with 275/40R17s on them. It doesn't say WS6 in the center cap but they are the 5 spokes that the spokes are the fat ones and I haven't seen those with the WS6 in the center on them. The hood is authentic too.

I think that they had either the K&N intake on it or the Volant and when they sold it they put the first factory intake on it they could find and didn't put the right one. Any one concur?

And how/where would I find an authentic Ram Air intake? My OCD is kickin my ***.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your probably right about the Volant or K&N setup.
The guy probably sold the raised airbox to offset some of the cost.
And as for the stock R/A lid it's the same as any other LS1 Car except the Ram Air Sticker. Last I checked (a few yrs ago) you could still get the WS6 airbox from a Dealer for around $100, Otherwise check for sale section or Ebay.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You probably have something like this on your car: lmperformance.com/954/1.html I would bet a previous owner traded just the original air cover for a "high flow" one. From 98-02, the airboxes were the same on all models of the firebird - including the cover. The only difference between a ram air firebird and a regular V8 firebird was the hood!

The high flow airlids were a very popular add-on for people looking for an additinal 1-2 hp, that they would never be able to notice. If you want to go back to the original lid, I'd suggest checking out Cleveland Pick-A-Part. clevelandpickapart.com They have a decent eBay shop and can probably get you the part directly from them. They specialize in LS1 cars.

There is a ram air sticker on the air lid on the WS6 cars. You may be able to get a lid with the sticker already on it or get one from a dealer.

Last edited by y2k_ta; 12-30-2007 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Non-sponsor live links
Old 12-30-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
You probably have something like this on your car: lmperformance.com/954/1.html I would bet a previous owner traded just the original air cover for a "high flow" one. From 98-02, the airboxes were the same on all models of the firebird - including the cover. The only difference between a ram air firebird and a regular V8 firebird was the hood!

The high flow airlids were a very popular add-on for people looking for an additinal 1-2 hp, that they would never be able to notice. If you want to go back to the original lid, I'd suggest checking out Cleveland Pick-A-Part. clevelandpickapart.com They have a decent eBay shop and can probably get you the part directly from them. They specialize in LS1 cars.

There is a ram air sticker on the air lid on the WS6 cars. You may be able to get a lid with the sticker already on it or get one from a dealer.
Not to Flame you but He already said he had a stock T/A Lid and was looking for the Larger Lower airbox that came on the Factory WS6 cars (YES THE LOWER AIRBOX IS DIFFERENT ON A WS6) It's not just the Hood.

And an Air Lid gains are quite a bit more than 1-2 HP.

Last edited by y2k_ta; 12-30-2007 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Non-sponsor live link in quoted section
Old 12-30-2007, 06:38 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by FireChickenws6
It is a true WS6. The RPO code is there and it has the 17" wheels with 275/40R17s on them. It doesn't say WS6 in the center cap but they are the 5 spokes that the spokes are the fat ones and I haven't seen those with the WS6 in the center on them. The hood is authentic too.

I think that they had either the K&N intake on it or the Volant and when they sold it they put the first factory intake on it they could find and didn't put the right one. Any one concur?

And how/where would I find an authentic Ram Air intake? My OCD is kickin my ***.
You have the 2002 wheels on your 'bird. They have the Pontiac Arrowhead on the center caps. Some of the late-build 2001 'birds came with the 2002 wheels. I have a friend that has a bone-stock late-build 2001 NBM WS6 'bird with the very same wheels.

I agree on the air intake swap too. A lot of us sell off the factory parts to either offset the cost of the aftermarket parts (as already mentioned), or to have extra money for more aftermarket parts

You have several options for the lower air box and air lid. They're not site sponsors so I can't post links, but you can try Billy Graham's, Tennessee Auto & Hawks Third-gen for used parts. I'd go with new GM parts as a last resort due to the cost of buying new.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:13 AM
TECH Addict

glad you ended up with a true bird
Old 12-31-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

pictures?
Old 01-01-2008, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

I'll have some pictures up when I find the time to wash and wax her. The city I live in is on a water restriction and it's $100 fine if you get caught washing your car. Plus to top it off there is a Cop that live 5 doors down from me. I did have her on a chassis Dyno though for a base line and with no mods it made 300 RWHP and 314 RWTQ. I have the sheet in my glove box. I'll scan it and post it later.

I think I'm just gonna put on a lid and be done with it. If I find the bottom half then woopty doo.

Thank you to every one for the info.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Who here has the K&N intake? I took out the plastic pieces in the nostrils in the hood, would I have to worry about rain?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

True WS6's have the scoops on the hood free flowing into the airbox without restriction don't they? The WS6 i am looking to buy says ram air but has a egular air box on it. Here is a pic. http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...aff=national#0 . just scroll through and down further. Thanks - Zack
Old 01-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

There are only two types of air box assemblies. One for the 3.8L engine and one for the 5.7L engine. There is no modification for the WS6, except for the sticker.

The WS6 air box & sitcker looks just like the pictures posted by LS1_K1DD.

Perhaps you were swapped for a 3.8L box? You can go to this site to check out the GM parts; http://www.gmpartsdistributor.com (Its run by Lake Chevrolet in CA; which has the best GM prices I've found so far.) Pull up your model and then search under "Engine - Air Intake - Cover" Then view the illustrations to check out the differences between the 3.8 and 5.7 air boxes.

BTW - Send us pictures of your air box! We already know what your car looks like on the outside.

The plastic pieces in the hood are grilles and protect you from trash flowing in to your air box and from debris getting in and tearing your air filter. You'll definitely want to keep them in place.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
There are only two types of air box assemblies. One for the 3.8L engine and one for the 5.7L engine. There is no modification for the WS6, except for the sticker.

The WS6 air box & sitcker looks just like the pictures posted by LS1_K1DD.

Perhaps you were swapped for a 3.8L box? You can go to this site to check out the GM parts; http://www.gmpartsdistributor.com (Its run by Lake Chevrolet in CA; which has the best GM prices I've found so far.) Pull up your model and then search under "Engine - Air Intake - Cover" Then view the illustrations to check out the differences between the 3.8 and 5.7 air boxes.

BTW - Send us pictures of your air box! We already know what your car looks like on the outside.

The plastic pieces in the hood are grilles and protect you from trash flowing in to your air box and from debris getting in and tearing your air filter. You'll definitely want to keep them in place.
Dude you/ve been referring to the Airlid which we all know is the same piece for all V8's. What we have been discusssing is the lower airbox that is part of the radiator support. On a WS6 the mail slot opening in the box is twice the size as a regular Formula/Trans Am.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:26 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by LS1W66
Dude you/ve been referring to the Airlid which we all know is the same piece for all V8's. What we have been discusssing is the lower airbox that is part of the radiator support. On a WS6 the mail slot opening in the box is twice the size as a regular Formula/Trans Am.
I had to replace my lower airbox last Summer due to an engine fire, and I found one at a salvage yard. The only 'bird this salvage yard had was a '99 Firebird V6, so I wasn't sure it would be the same as the V8 car. When I went to take it off the car, I was 99.9% sure that it looked the same as the one on my car at home. Sure enough, the lower airbox is the same on the '98-'02 V6 Firebird, Formula & base-model Trans Am. The only one that is different is the Ram Air car.

The factory airlid is the same shape on all the V8 'birds. The only car with a different airlid is the V6 'birds.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

For all future references, I am referring to the bottom half or the "Mail Slot" above the radiator. I know all about the lid or the top half. I need the platform that the lid sits on.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:22 AM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by FireChickenws6
For all future references, I am referring to the bottom half or the "Mail Slot" above the radiator. I know all about the lid or the top half. I need the platform that the lid sits on.
Only one poster in here didn't realize that......the rest of us are clear on what you're needing for your 'bird.

Quick Reply: Ram air without the Ram air?