Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2001 Trans-Am WS6 with SLP Options

Old 03-21-2008, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Trans-Am WS6 with SLP Options

Hey just wondering something. As you guys can probably tell I am new to F-Bodies and I just have a question, I am about to buy a 2001 T/A WS6 with SLP Options. The car is from the factory with SLP options and I was wondering what the difference is between this model and another T/A? Is it just the exhaust? Is it the SLP lid and SLP exhaust? Does it have anymore power then a non-SLP WS6? Thanks for the help guys! I appriciate it!
Old 03-21-2008, 12:30 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

There are ZERO options from SLP on a WS6.

SLP made Firehawk's and SS's, they did NOT make the WS6, ASC made them.

You need to search and read sticky threads before you post. If you don't find your answer, then you post a question.

Here is a start for you buddy, its a sticky in this section:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-firebird-1967-2002/440546-miscellaneous-fourth-gen-bird-info-read-before-posting-questions.html

Peace,
Craig.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:06 AM

Thanks for the info, I did try a search for it too though and didn't see that thread. I don't see whats the hostility is about, obviously im new to these cars, chill out a little bit. Also if there aren't any SLP WS6 T/A's, please clarify this to me:

SLP Firehawk Formula and Trans Am (1991-1997, 1999-2002)
Firehawk LT4 (1997)

I don't mean to sound arrogant, im just really curious.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:34 AM

Talking

Dude I wasn't being hostile at all, you're reading it wrong. If I was I would have given you an infraction for not reading the sticky thread, plus I would have not helped at all by saying "buddy" and here is the thread......

Also that sticky thread is right above this one, very hard to miss.

I am here to help, but don't take it as hostile....especially when I am helping you out. I'm trying to get you to find your answers on your own. And don't worry, you're not sounding arrogant boss, its all good man!

And those years look/sound about right, I'm a little tied up so I can't search for you again (no offense). Dig around a little bit in this section, plenty of info here man.

Peace,
Craig.

BTW - When you go to look at this WS6, make sure on the door jam sticker one of the build codes says "WS6." Make sure nobody is trying to pass a T/A off on you as a WS6.
Also forgot to mention, power is same on WS6 & T/A. They are rated different, but strap them on a dyno and they're the same.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Firebird Formula LS1
Thanks for the info, I did try a search for it too though and didn't see that thread. I don't see whats the hostility is about, obviously im new to these cars, chill out a little bit. Also if there aren't any SLP WS6 T/A's, please clarify this to me:

SLP Firehawk Formula and Trans Am (1991-1997, 1999-2002)
Firehawk LT4 (1997)

I don't mean to sound arrogant, im just really curious.
The Firehawk and WS6 are 2 different models. SLP produced the Firehawk and a company called ASC did the WS6 cars for GM. The Firehawk was the only model to get parts from SLP before reaching the dealer.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CRAGER
There are ZERO options from SLP on a WS6.

You need to search and read sticky threads before you post. If you don't find your answer, then you post a question.

Here is a start for you buddy, its a sticky in this section:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440546

Peace,
Craig.
Dude,that was hostile,maybe not your intent,but it was a scolding nevertheless! He didn't deserve that..Also,I get tired of looking everywhere for something too,so I just ask..No one is going to die over it. Being he's new,you could have simple told him to try a search..
Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by Irocem99
Dude,that was hostile,maybe not your intent,but it was a scolding nevertheless! He didn't deserve that..Also,I get tired of looking everywhere for something too,so I just ask..No one is going to die over it. Being he's new,you could have simple told him to try a search..
I was not harsh at all, you new guys have to thin of skin for the internet or well here at least. And its the senior members don't deserve these same questions asked over and over again when they can find the answer if they were to search or read the sticky threads, in fact the Admins implemented a new infraction system to hand out just for threads like this one. So search or get infractions.

Now I did ask him to search, and I helped out as well. I don't understand how that is being harsh, plus I did not hand out an infraction for him not searching either.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

I'm newer to this site,but I've been on many..Reread your statement,no one should have to have a thick skin.Some people are more sensitive and some people just don't give a crap.My point is why respond to the guy then if all it does is irritate you..Make up your mind,either help the guy or let someone else do it..I love it when people get mad at a thread but respond anyhow.Also,what does an infraction do? Some people just want to get to the point and not search forever..How do you know if there was another thread if its buried 90 threads deep..I suppose people can do a search,but not all people think about it..A noob doesn't deserve and infraction,warning or whatnot..that's what makes the guy a noob..Why don't you look at it from a noobs point of view and not a veterans..
Old 03-21-2008, 10:42 AM

Thats why I didn't dish out the infraction, just saying its there for this reason and hey if I offended him or you then I'm sorry. Not trying to at all. We are here to help, and I am, but I want to see them try to help themselves. Kind of pushes the task off to somebody to search for them. But I like to see those threads where guys say "hey I searched with no luck, whats the....." that shows they try.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CRAGER
Thats why I didn't dish out the infraction, just saying its there for this reason and hey if I offended him or you then I'm sorry. Not trying to at all. We are here to help, and I am, but I want to see them try to help themselves. Kind of pushes the task off to somebody to search for them. But I like to see those threads where guys say "hey I searched with no luck, whats the....." that shows they try.

Peace,
Craig.
Its all good and I'm sure he realizes it now..
Old 03-21-2008, 01:08 PM

Wow sorry guys I didn't mean to start an argument, sorry for taking it as hostile, I was just tired myself and had a long day so I must of taken it the wrong way, no hard feelings Thanks for answering though.

Also thanks for letting me know about the build code on the door jam mentioning WS6. It will just say it right on the plate on the jam?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:26 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Firebird Formula LS1
Wow sorry guys I didn't mean to start an argument, sorry for taking it as hostile, I was just tired myself and had a long day so I must of taken it the wrong way, no hard feelings Thanks for answering though.

Also thanks for letting me know about the build code on the door jam mentioning WS6. It will just say it right on the plate on the jam?
No worries man, and again sorry if I came across like an ***.
Yea right on the sticker in the door jam is the build code sticker from the assy. plant. Should be about 2 of them, one will have a butt load of 3 letter/number codes. Read through them to see if you can find the ol' WS6 code.

If you come across a car with no stickers then watch out, it probably has some body work. So another car shopping hint, pay Carfax that $20 whatever it is to run unlimited VIN numbers for a month.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Craig,

That was pretty harsh of an answer.

I never understood when the "thread police" feel it necessary to correct someone about searchs. If you dont wanna answer, then dont.

Not everyone has the time to do an exhaustive search everytime they need and answer. Those that want to make time to reply...can

I'm new here myself but have heard plenty from other sites about this place and some if it's regulars arrogantly dissing newbies. Whatever...

And for the record...I'd bet ALOT of F-Body fans didnt know that ASC, not SLP made the later year WS6s.

You got mega info...great. Share it nicely or not at all. Makes for better atmosphere.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

"There are ZERO options from SLP on a WS6.

You need to search and read sticky threads before you post."

Actually Craig,

The SLP boys DID in fact, do some of the WS6 work on the Pontiacs(not just the Firehawk)...the first two years 96 and 97 were done by SLP.

SLP didnt lose the WS6 contract till 98 when it went to ASC.

The original poster is looking at a 2001 which would be an ASC job but of the 7 years of WS6s not all were by ASC.

Last edited by UsualSuspect; 03-21-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by UsualSuspect
Craig,

That was pretty harsh of an answer.

I never understood when the "thread police" feel it necessary to correct someone about searchs. If you dont wanna answer, then dont.

Not everyone has the time to do an exhaustive search everytime they need and answer. Those that want to make time to reply...can

I'm new here myself but have heard plenty from other sites about this place and some if it's regulars arrogantly dissing newbies. Whatever...

And for the record...I'd bet ALOT of F-Body fans didnt know that ASC, not SLP made the later year WS6s.

You got mega info...great. Share it nicely or not at all. Makes for better atmosphere.
We've already gone all over this. People have the time to search, just need to learn how to. The amount of time it takes to create a thread one can find the answer with a search or read the sticky. And the site has worked fine for almost seven years just fine now. We have the same questions asked 7 years ago and we will have the same asked seven years from now, so asking somebody to search will be asked over and over. If you need the info ASAP, then you need to pick up a phone and call somebody, not post on a web board, because this not "real-time" or live chat, and alot of the info one needs is already here, just search......then post up.

Originally Posted by UsualSuspect
Oh...and for the record.

The SLP boys DID in fact do the WS6 work on the Pontiacs(not just the Firehawk)...the first two years 96 and 97 were done by SLP.

SLP didnt lose the WS6 contract till 98 when it went to ASC.
Yes I already know that but you can clearly see in the first post he asked about a 2001 year model.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

"because this not "real-time" or live chat, and alot of the info one needs is already here, just search......then post up."

I didnt realize this was a wiki-type resource.

I thought it was a message board for discussion.

Again...if you, with your 7,000 posts have heard and seen it all then dont reply. Others might want to...without the lecture.

You shouldnt try to police "communication" amongst members.

Just my opinion...

By the way...you have two beautiful cars. I especially like the Bird.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:21 PM

This site is to discuss, but to drown the site with same subject over and over is not the way to go. "Why is the sky blue, why this why that....etc." That is why the Admins created the infraction system, to stop the newbs from post the same question every single day.
Like I said, this site has been around almost 7 years and we are the ones that do not need a lecture from somebody with 8 posts telling us how to run our site.

If you wish to further continue this conversation please do so in this thread created by one of the Admins:

ATTN MODS (and users): New tool to help teach users about stickies

This thread has run its course and is done.

Peace,
Craig.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Trans-Am WS6 with SLP Options