Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Knight Rider GPS by Mio

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rmpitzer
Yup, and if you go to the Mio website, you can sign up to get the 2009 map update for free when they release it next year.
Sweet, I signed up for the map update thats really cool that Mio offers that for free right now. Also since the unit is a little large the best place to mount using the window mounts is to left of the steering wheel near the pillar. I noticed it was too far of reach over the middle dash vents.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

If you have a tom tom, you can add these voices to it, lol....

http://navtones.com/index.php
Old 01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7901 WS6
Sweet, I signed up for the map update thats really cool that Mio offers that for free right now. Also since the unit is a little large the best place to mount using the window mounts is to left of the steering wheel near the pillar. I noticed it was too far of reach over the middle dash vents.
Where on the site is that? I went there but didn't find anything. You got a direct link to it?

Nevermind...I found it! haha

http://register.freemapupdate.com

Last edited by BANDITCAR; 01-05-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sommer86
If you have a tom tom, you can add these voices to it, lol....

http://navtones.com/index.php
My understanding is....the KITT voice has a year exclusive deal with MIO and the Knight Rider GPS. After the year is up, you're probably right, and you can download it and add it to your other GPS units.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

cool i just got one, look forward to using it when we head to philly this weekend
Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got one for Christmas! It's weird, I went on their website looking for updates and came up with nothing.

Thanks for the link BANDITCAR! Unfortunately, I'm not near my car or the GPS anymore .

Would SELU mean anything to you BANDITCAR?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
Got one for Christmas! It's weird, I went on their website looking for updates and came up with nothing.

Thanks for the link BANDITCAR! Unfortunately, I'm not near my car or the GPS anymore .

Would SELU mean anything to you BANDITCAR?

yeah, that would be the place where all of us go to party around a bunch of teachers and books. haha
Old 01-07-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rmpitzer
My understanding is....the KITT voice has a year exclusive deal with MIO and the Knight Rider GPS. After the year is up, you're probably right, and you can download it and add it to your other GPS units.
But it is still more than just a voice. I love seeing the LED's flash modulated to his voice just like the show.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BANDITCAR
But it is still more than just a voice. I love seeing the LED's flash modulated to his voice just like the show.
Absolutely, I agree completely. The people who wait a year to get the voice for their more boring GPS's won't get the lights, and the cool start up screens.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, that would be the place where all of us go to party around a bunch of teachers and books. haha
Oh, my gf seemed to think you were a teacher...I was going to ask you what you taught.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
Oh, my gf seemed to think you were a teacher...I was going to ask you what you taught.
ah, no there is a teacher there that has a CETA, but its her daily and it usually pretty dirty. She had a big bumper sticker on the black area of the rear valance too. I would NEVER do such a thing! ahha

My CE doesn't come out very often anymore, just to shows, thanks to the fbody thefts in the area.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ah, no there is a teacher there that has a CETA, but its her daily and it usually pretty dirty. She had a big bumper sticker on the black area of the rear valance too. I would NEVER do such a thing! ahha

My CE doesn't come out very often anymore, just to shows, thanks to the fbody thefts in the area.
Oh, I feel bad cluttering up this post about the BEST GPS EVER! (Seriously, Mr.Feeny telling me where to turn is schweet!)

Let the clutter commence: Eww...bumper stickers. I don't think my girl has ever gotten close enough to see it, she would know it wouldn't be anyone on here if she had.

And that theft ring nearly killed me while I was visiting. I would jump up and go outside to check on my car every hour...I'm a wee bit paranoid .
Old 01-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VIP1
If it has WAAS, turn it on. The accuracy should improve. Its basically a ground-based correction system to improve accuracy, at least that is my understanding of it.
Well, I've tried mine with the WAAS turned on, and off....and the address inaccuracy seems the same. I have a feeling it's more a function of the map, than it is the GPS accuracy. Perhaps future map updates will get the addresses more accurate.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Default double-DIn vs. DIN and a half

Originally Posted by VIP1
I like that it has William Danials' voice, but I think it would have looked more appropriate if they modeled it on KITT's interior instead of exterior.... since its going to go on the inside of your car instead of the outside.

Also, it sounds more like KARR than KITT.

Also, after using a few different GPS units, Garmin is the best I've used so far. If you already have a Garmin, stick with it and see if there is a voice pack available to give it William Danials' voice or something similar.

That being said.... I still think its an awesome device.

I don't have the voice pack, but I made my Pioneer AVIC-D3 look the part...

I'm considering adding some lit buttons to the sides of the bezel.
Hey VIP1, I like the Pioneer unit you have pictured here. I have been told by several installation places that they cannot install a unit that size in my 2002 TA because it has "DIN and a half", but those units need a "double DIN" to fit. They all suggest a motorized "flip-up" unit, but I don't want that because the vents will blow on the back of the screen. Where did you have yours installed? Any details would be appreciated. Thanks,
Old 01-11-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PHXLB
Hey VIP1, I like the Pioneer unit you have pictured here. I have been told by several installation places that they cannot install a unit that size in my 2002 TA because it has "DIN and a half", but those units need a "double DIN" to fit. They all suggest a motorized "flip-up" unit, but I don't want that because the vents will blow on the back of the screen. Where did you have yours installed? Any details would be appreciated. Thanks,
Search is your friend..........

VIP1 did it himself: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...installed.html
Old 01-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
Search is your friend..........

VIP1 did it himself: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...installed.html
Yup. I did it myself. Since I bought it from Whitebird00, the wiring was already done.

Quick Reply: Knight Rider GPS by Mio