Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Performance Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Question

hello from hotlanta everyone. noob here. been browsing the forums for a month.5 after the purchase of a 1999 formula and have learned a lot from reading, but still new to fast cars.

so i dyno'd the ride and ended up running 317.1 rwhp. i know i have a lid and air filter. i was wondering if that number is pretty normal for just those modifications...?

i'm just trying to figure out if there could be anything else done to it.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, its normal....what kind of dyno? mustang dyno its kinda on the hight side....dynojet sounds about normal....now get some longtube headers and a good catback an watch that number jump.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:35 PM

thanks for the reply. it was a dynojet.

after reading the forums i've decided to put some pacesetters on in the near future. the trans am is a big jump up from the accord lx, but most newer cars are getting up there in power and i've gotta be able to take them off a stop light. thanks again.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While most HAVE the power, they don't seem to utilize it correctly heh That's really all I can think of being the reason why they aren't as quick as they should be...

LS1 F-Bodies were underrated on paper, so you're making what the rest do. You won't have a problem with 90% of the cars you line up against, especially if they're stock.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just stick around these forums you will learn A LOT! there are a lot of knowledgeable guys on here but be careful to sift through the BS cause there are some guys that really do not know what they are talking about. take everyone's advice with a grain of salt basically.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gurusupreme
hello from hotlanta everyone. noob here. been browsing the forums for a month.5 after the purchase of a 1999 formula and have learned a lot from reading, but still new to fast cars.

so i dyno'd the ride and ended up running 317.1 rwhp. i know i have a lid and air filter. i was wondering if that number is pretty normal for just those modifications...?

i'm just trying to figure out if there could be anything else done to it.
I'm not far from you. Did you get ur ride dynoed in ATL? If so what's the location and how much is it? I been thinkin gettin my dynoed and see what gains i made.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DevilDougWS6
yeah, its normal....what kind of dyno? mustang dyno its kinda on the hight side....dynojet sounds about normal....now get some longtube headers and a good catback an watch that number jump.
I'd throw in a cam and pushrods as well, and when that's all done be sure to get a good tune.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDougWS6
just stick around these forums you will learn A LOT! there are a lot of knowledgeable guys on here but be careful to sift through the BS cause there are some guys that really do not know what they are talking about. take everyone's advice with a grain of salt basically.
Very true, I've learned a **** load here. And just the same, some is BS, some is just incorrect. I will very seldomly say I'm 100% sure of something, and am always open to input or corrections. Best way to learn.