Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Thinking about getting a G8 GT for a daily driver, need HONEST opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about getting a G8 GT for a daily driver, need HONEST opinions.

This car will be my daily driver, will not be modded more then wheels/tires/tint/exhaust/CAI/tune. I have a 60 mile round trip daily commute. I currently have a 2008 Malibu LTZ with some nice mods, 20's/tint/stereo. It has the 3.6L 252 HP V6, but I just want a V8/RWD daily driver as well. I don't want to go to crazy price wise since I plan on getting a new Mustang GT or Camaro SS next year for a weekend car.

I have been doing some research on the G8's and honestly have been reading alot more negative comments then I expected. Lots of issues with vibrations, and little things going wrong.

I would like some honest options from owners on what you like, and don't like and what I should look out for. I would get one with less then 25K on the clock if that matters.

Thanks.

Last edited by SSNISTR; 08-10-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

I would say the issues aren't any different that what you get with any new model car.

There's plenty to like about the G8.

Find a nice GM Certified one, and enjoy the extra warranty. Check GMVIS report and see what problems (if any) its had.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Be warned though...once you buy the G8, you'll forget about the mustang GT or Camaro SS. The G8 is that good...
Old 08-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

^^^Agree...and with any car you can look up issues and find all kinds of stuff, I say go for it.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lakemg
Be warned though...once you buy the G8, you'll forget about the mustang GT or Camaro SS. The G8 is that good...
I've driven both, they are vastly different. Plus the G8 is a big 4-door that will be my daily. The other car will get modded and be a weekend car.

Thanks for the replys.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

i have no complaints, i love it. Luckily i haven't experienced any of the things you mentioned. It was great when it was tune,cai, exhaust car. Its even better after adding some suspension parts, and TT's.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:06 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Honestly, I wouldn't buy it again. Its only acceptable because its cheap.

The cheap plastic/pleather interior gets to me but I guess it depends on what your used to since some people like it. The stereo sucks, brakes dont hold up, steering feel is meh, drivetrain noise, strut mounts/bearings & ball joints will probably need to be replaced ASAP, paint is horribly thin, if you get exhaust without disabling AFM it will sound like *** and even then if you disable it most will drone, rear diff is weak, the list goes on...

The positives are that its cheap and easy to make faster! It also looks pretty good and has a near perfect weight balance.

I would just save your money and get a manual Camaro SS, the auto in the G8 GT is just a pain in the ***.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

Wow ^^

The things like brakes, steering feel, stereo aren't usual complaints. I have AFM on and no drone. I bet the rear diff in the G8 is stronger than a 4th gen rear...

What's such a pain about the auto?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:07 AM
TECH Regular

I've only owned mine for just over a week now and love it (09 GT w/ 6800mi). My wife uses it as her daily and her only complaint is the delayed throttle response. That was enough of a reason for me to order up a ecm/tcm tune and a CAI.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:54 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by johnh
Wow ^^

The things like brakes, steering feel, stereo aren't usual complaints. I have AFM on and no drone. I bet the rear diff in the G8 is stronger than a 4th gen rear...

What's such a pain about the auto?
He asked for honest... haha If you really drive the car the brakes will warp in short time, some get the dealer to replace others go with the DBA rotors that solve the problem. (Have you looked at the weights Chevy sticks on the Brembo's, weak!). Steering feel and overall stability is improved once a bushing kit is added but your out almost $1,000 for all of it. Then another $1,400 for upgraded lower front arms and caster bars to solve the weak OEM parts failing.

You have about the only exhaust other then stock that doesn't drone... and you paid for it since Corsa is pretty damn expensive.

The rear might be slightly stronger then a 4th gen... but its not a 4th gen. How many years did they have to engineer this car? Just about everyone that goes down the track destroys the G8 rear in short time. Most people that f'd up the G8 diff are going to the Camaro diff but who knows if that will hold up any longer. Your looking at roughly $3,000 for a rear end that will handle power reliably.

Actually the auto is ok when your stock, near stock, etc.. The only thing that bugged me then was that it would go into overdrive way too quickly. The problems start once you modify and want it to work with cam, converter, gears, etc. I understand that's no fault but my own but still an annoyance.

Overall its better and faster then most $20k cars so if you get a deal on one you can overlook most things.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

I've had mine for over a year, have 50,000 miles on it. The interior is par with others in its price range, plastic. The seats are comfortable, plenty of room (I'm 6'7" and can sit in the back). Had the rotors turned at 25,000 miles due to vibration, hasn't come back. You can feel the afm kick in and out. Stereo (head unit) is non-upgradeable, unless you have a computer degree. Subs rattle, suspension is not quiet up front, seat side panels break off easily.

It is a blast to drive, gets great mileage for what it is. I have averaged 26.5mpg on long trips, with stops. I actually kept it at 30.5mpg for over an hour one time.

I like the car, looks are awesome (minus paint chips from thin paint), Awesome weight balance, good power and plenty of room. This is NOT a luxury car, more of a 4 door GTO.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i wasnt aware of all these problems.

im still a big fan of g8s.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Decent MPG(17.5 with 80% city stoplights, 20% highway can get 25+ easily cruising on hwy)

Good power

Like the feel of the seats

Looks grrr8

Very roomy with large trunk

Handles decent for a 4000+ beast

Dislikes:

Thin Paint(lots of rock chips and VERY hard/near impossible to keep swirl free so lots of maintenance)

A/C sucks my wifes camry gets cold 3x faster then the g8 in the tx heat

stock stereo sucks

I like the look of the interior but its starting to rattle at 15k miles and thats annoys me

lifters tick some at startup(again at 15k miles) which makes me worry and wonder if I should swap to a non dod setup

Remote start is worthless have to be right next to the car for it to work has like a 20' range if that

Windshield wipers smear

Overall if I was looking for a 4door for a daily driver I'd buy it again. It's better then anything else out there in the price range with 4 doors.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have some interior rattle noise. 23K miles.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys for the honest opinions. I'm gonna look at one later this week. At this point, after reading alot of negative feedback on here and other sites, I think I might just keep my current daily driver.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:04 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I also have some interior rattle noise. 23K miles.
x2, it took a good bit of Damplifier (similar to Dynamat) to get rid of rattles.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 141 Posts

My buddy has an 08 gt sport premium package and its really nice... but just as some have already pointed out, it's prone for interior rattles, front lca's needed replaced at 12k mi, had to take it in for a couple other things aswell... atleast the dealship covered it all. The car is sweet imo and I think its going to be hard to find anything more reliable than the g8 in its price range... Quality control is a issue plauging every form of manufacturing in this world these days. The term "reliable" for the most part dont exist anymore... that is until the consumer fixes all the manufacturer **** ups to make it more "reliable" lol!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
x2, it took a good bit of Damplifier (similar to Dynamat) to get rid of rattles.
The majority of mine seem to be coming from the glovebox/dash. It's not even from bass(still have all stock speakers) just when going over bumps it rattles. I'd put some dynomat in there if it would help but I have no idea how to dynomat the glovebox to get it to stop rattling. lol.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i love the G8 as my daily driver i got a CAI and tune and i still get 30+ on the interstate runs low 13s with the added system and is very safe for my 2 kids i love this car for sure
Old 08-11-2010, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

I have over 34,000 on mine with a similar commute distance. I haven't had the brake or exhaust drone issues. My freeway mileage is low 30s using CC @65, city mid teens. It averages out to about 20 mpg combined over several thousand miles. Since adding the headers I dont notice the AFM sounds. To me the paint looks great, but stereos, wheels, etc. don't interest me like performance mods. The AC is weak and eventually brings the temps down in 100F weather. The car has a few rattles (occasionally) too. My biggest concern with the car is a fender bender. Mechanically things can be fixed pretty easily, but body and trim parts may become tough in the years to come.

If you want a domestic performance sedan your pretty much limited to a used G8 or 300/Charger. Or go to the dark side and look at a used Infinti G series or BMW 335.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a G8 GT for a daily driver, need HONEST opinions.