Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Is a G8 the right car for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a G8 the right car for me?

So here's the reason I'm asking this question. I'm 31, my wife has an awesome FX37 (fastest SUV I've ever driven), I've got a 99 F250 Powerstroke, long bed, 4x4, 6-speed manual, 225,000 miles. The truck is my daily driver, which is actually fun in its own way. Fuel economy is damn good for what it is, 17-18 around town, an honest 20 on the highway. But it is what it is, a 7300 lb tank. It's fatiguing.

My other car is a 97 Camaro. The problem is, last year I made the decision to make it a full blown road race car. I can't wait to start racing it, but I miss being able to take it out on nice weekends.

As it sits right now (changing rear ends)

So....I'm dying to have a nice street car again. But money is a BIG factor. What I really want is a 2002 LS1 SS Camaro. My plan was to buy a very cheap, but nice low mileage V6 2002 Camaro and drive it for a while while saving for a LS6 swap. I'd have a bad *** car for under $8K. Sounds like a decent plan, right?

Here's the problem. My wife. She's 5'2", 108 pounds. She doesn't fit well in the Camaro. By fit, I mean see over the dash Also, because of her short legs, her calves end up resting on the hump in the floor. That hump is where the cats sit, which means she's uncomfortable, which means she's unhappy, which means I'm unhappy. Been married 2 years and I figured that one out real quick.

The other problem...a little one. We're going to be starting a family next year. Damnit, there goes my plan. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to start a family, but you know what I mean.

So, I started thinking about the GTO. I just can't stand the looks. But if it's really an awesome driving car, I could get past that, especially for the price. I'd be happy with the LS2, and I've heard it handles pretty well. But I keep coming back to the G8.

I know the G6 didn't get good reviews. The G8 got great reviews though. Engine options are V6, LS2 for the GT and LS3 for GXP. Rigth?

All of that being said, I love cars that handle really well more than raw power. From what I've read and watched on youtube, it looks like this is one awesome car. And what I love is that you guys love moding them. Are there many suspension mods available? It looks like stiffer sway bars would go a long way with this car.

I guess I just wanted to hear your opinions on the G8. I know you guys must love them, otherwise you wouldn't have them. The price is a little high though, I'd have to finance instead of going cheap with the Camaro. Is it still worth the money? BTW, I'm the kind of guy who hangs onto cars for a really long time. As in, I can't imagine I'd sell the car for many many years.

Sorry for the book.
Steve
Old 02-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Teching In

G8's are doing very well past 100K miles and it has four doors which makes it flexible. GXP's are holding their value so you will be lucky to find one under $29K unless it has been wrecked. The GT's are probably more in your price range at around $19K. Don't bother with the V6 as their gas mileage is no better than the GT's with the 6.0L L76 motor. They respond extremely well to modifications as well if you ever decide to go in that direction. Not a whole lot of issues with those cars except for the front LCA's are not known for lasting a long time so buy one with a warranty or has had the TSB performed on the car already. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G8 GT is a fantastic "gown up" car, it fits all the needs, family, daily driver, still fun sporty car to drive when the "itch" needs to be scratched

i bought mine and love the car, i have no complaints at all...
Old 02-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Launching!

GXP is out of my budget. I didn't realize they were that expensive.

What is the difference between the two? What kind of real world difference as well? As far as if you drove them back to back, what would you notice?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Realistically, the main differences are power, torque, brakes, features, rear diffuser and engine management. The gt has DOD (displacement on demand to save fuel, doesn't save that much fuel and more parts to break) and the GXP doesn't. If you are patient, you can find mid 30-50k mile GXP's for 24/25k. That is the listed asking price at the last one I looked at here in DFW, TX and one in San Antonio, TX, but it did sell quickly. Some people are awfully proud of their rides in places though for asking prices. There is a really sweet GT with pro charge for sale on here, low miles, $25k. I believe he removed the DOD and has some great tasteful mods.

Last edited by omgitsmikeyc; 02-13-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Going from a 4th gen to the G8 was night and day difference. The quality and build quality is great, and yet the car feels just as fast for being so heavy. There a handful of differences between the GT and the GXP. Engine, brakes, suspension, wheels, and front and rear fascia. I nice bolt on GT tuned will be able to hang with a stock GXP. Just like any LS, the tune wakes the car up a lot.
What's funny is the G8 is still unknown to normal car people out there. Since the new Chevy SS is coming out, it has shown the spotlight again on Pontiac and the G8. Everywhere I go, I get questions or comments from car guys asking about the car, it's setup and how much power it has. Right now I have 70k miles on it, get 16mpg in the city and 25mpg on the highway, this is a great cruiser as well for road trips.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

you wouldn't be disappointed if you bought a GT. they're nice, fun and hold their value pretty well. better than most, on par if not better than the SRT8's (resale value). Like stated before, the GXP's are sold as if they're made out of gold Iwas going to buy one when they came out but was turned off to them offering so much off on them and Pontiac going away (if i only knew back then)... what a dummy lol
Old 02-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Launching!

Man, now I'm leaning towards a GTO. People seem to love them, and they seem pretty fast with less weight. 2 doors would make dealing with a baby seat a little more difficult though. They aren't much to look at, but I hear the interior is really nice. They are a lot cheaper as well.

Hmm...
Old 02-14-2013, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

G8 will be a great car for you man. I wish I owned one lol
Old 02-14-2013, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the g8 is much nicer than thr gto's. my buddy has a ls2 gto and they seen to be somewhat problematic. the trans in the g8 is nicer, i get a little better gas mileage than he does and when we raced we were dead even. the 4 door is a must with a family trust me on that one! we put a car seat in my buddys gto once for my son and it was a pita. just my .02
Old 02-14-2013, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve91T
Man, now I'm leaning towards a GTO. People seem to love them, and they seem pretty fast with less weight. 2 doors would make dealing with a baby seat a little more difficult though. They aren't much to look at, but I hear the interior is really nice. They are a lot cheaper as well.

Hmm...
be prepared to pay G8 money for a clean GTO. They go for big money clean. If you grab a cheap one you will be sorry, i assure you lol. My friend owns Tune Time Performance in NJ and i see it all the time. People buy a car late model V8 sports car only to find out it's either been ragged on, neglected, or both. Then cleaned up a little you buy it and it becomes a money pit. Penny wise dollar foolish. good luck.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Also, I don't think getting in the back with a babyseat is easy at all with these. Infact damn near impossible because you have to climb into the back seat with the one piece seat and even toddlers to buckle them in. A 4 door is a way better way to go, plus the G8 has a newer (and many think better) engine platform/trans. GXP has ls3, I believe L99 in the GT. A bit more advanced than the LS1 and LS2 in the GTO as far as engine management and economy (also important to save cash, as when you have kids, you will have near none most times for you).
Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Launching!

So, I drove a 35,000 mile LS2 GTO auto. I hate autos, but whatever. I am blown away with the engine. It made all the right sounds and had gobs of torque. The car wasn't bad, the suspension was mush, and I still can't get past the looks.

Honestly, a GXP is exactly what I need. But, it wouldn't be responsibe of me to take on that kind of car payment right now. So that leaves one car, as LS1 Camaro. Not ideal for having a kid, and my wife isn't fond of them, but I can pick up a nice 100,000 mile 2002 SS for under $10k. That's hard to beat.

Who knows, maybe in a couple if years when I can afford a nice 4 door, the new Chevy SS will be within my reach.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve91T
So, I drove a 35,000 mile LS2 GTO auto. I hate autos, but whatever. I am blown away with the engine. It made all the right sounds and had gobs of torque. The car wasn't bad, the suspension was mush, and I still can't get past the looks.

Honestly, a GXP is exactly what I need. But, it wouldn't be responsibe of me to take on that kind of car payment right now. So that leaves one car, as LS1 Camaro. Not ideal for having a kid, and my wife isn't fond of them, but I can pick up a nice 100,000 mile 2002 SS for under $10k. That's hard to beat.

Who knows, maybe in a couple if years when I can afford a nice 4 door, the new Chevy SS will be within my reach.
just me, but i would rather bank the money and wait than buy a camaro to put a baby in lol... best of luck with your future... smart money says SAVE it for now..
Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Launching!

I just bought something that might fit what you are looking for. It is a 2009 G8 GT with 37K but this is where it gets interesting. It was owned by the GM of a dealership. He installed the GXP LS3 6.2 motor, kooks long tube headers and high flow cats and cat back exhaust. All was dealer installed. It just got to my dealership today. The first thing I did was test drive it and have it state inspected to make sure it passes and no bullshit.

I have to tell you he did it right. Butt dyno says 450 HP.

You get insurance rates of a G8 GT with the horsepower of a modded GXP.

Let me know if you are interested. I am in Houston TX.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kciaccio
I just bought something that might fit what you are looking for. It is a 2009 G8 GT with 37K but this is where it gets interesting. It was owned by the GM of a dealership. He installed the GXP LS3 6.2 motor, kooks long tube headers and high flow cats and cat back exhaust. All was dealer installed. It just got to my dealership today. The first thing I did was test drive it and have it state inspected to make sure it passes and no bullshit.

I have to tell you he did it right. Butt dyno says 450 HP.

You get insurance rates of a G8 GT with the horsepower of a modded GXP.

Let me know if you are interested. I am in Houston TX.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
That thing looks good. How much is it?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bds001
That thing looks good. How much is it?
It should go live on Monday. I am probably going to price it at 25,480. Since they dealer did about 10k in work.

Let me know if you are interested. We do financing too.

http://texasdirectauto.com/?utm_sour...FaiiPAodnXEAEw
Old 02-17-2013, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

What is the history on the car? Any wrecks etc?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kciaccio
It should go live on Monday. I am probably going to price it at 25,480. Since they dealer did about 10k in work.

Let me know if you are interested. We do financing too.

http://texasdirectauto.com/?utm_sour...FaiiPAodnXEAEw
Hmmm heard some negative things about Texas Direct. You work there and/or can disspell any fears?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bds001
Hmmm heard some negative things about Texas Direct. You work there and/or can disspell any fears?
Sure, I am one of the buyers there. On Average we sell 2,000 cars a month. That is a combination of wholesale (cars we send to a local auction that don't fit our standards that we take in on trade or purchased from another dealership for retail but get kicked for same reasons) and the rest we retail.

With that kind of volume unforeseen issues or human error can happen. It's used cars.

I can tell you the department I work in "Acquisitions" are all on the same page when it comes to what we will retail. When we purchase a car the last thing we want is customer issues. We have a dedicated department that handles after sale issues for instances that do occasionally happen.

We are not a dealership that tries to put one over on people.

There are always going to be people who go into buying a used car with higher than realistic expectations. I have seen a few on this forum.

We are the largest ebay dealer in the world and you don't have 5,100 cars sold with a 100% positive feedback rating without doing things right.

If anybody here is ever interested in one of our cars I can give you more detailed info on the unit you are interested in. What recon we put into it ect.

I am not on this forum to sell our cars they do very well selling themselves. I am just trying to help fellow members on the forum.

Last edited by kciaccio; 02-17-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Is a G8 the right car for me?