Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

A/C blew up...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A/C blew up...

My wife called me Monday saying that she think her a/c was going out. Told her to baby the car. She called back a couple hours later and said she thought she ran over something. I told her she might have snapped the a/c belt.

Next day she took my truck to work and I took her car to our normal mechanic (car's out of warranty). He popped the hood with me and we both took a look at it for the first time, the compressor pulley was in pieces, so we knew that had to be replaced. He called his normal a/c guy, $1320 just for parts, $760 labor. I was very surprised.

I later went and picked up my daughter who is 3 months old. And I'm driving around Texas which was 94* yesterday. So I went straight to the Dealership to buy the parts. I pulled in the service bay to get my daughter to a/c asap. And they asked me what was up. Told them, they took the car back and came back and told me the Harmonic balancer, front main seal, and the a/c compressor all needed to be replaced, $1811 installed. I said deal, but I didn't ask to see the quote to see if they had all the parts that they were going to need. Got a call this morning saying it needed the condenser and drier set up as well. Making the new total $2297. Only thing that has made this worth it is driving a 2013 Tahoe LTZ around when it is 97*.

So overall, I was extremely surprised on the cost of the a/c system in a G8, and second I was glad that the dealership is actually taking care of me and not going crazy on costs.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Yea. I would of tried to figure out what the difference is between other LSx compressors and tried to make an adapter.
Or hunted around some auto salvage places locally. There is always Ebay if you dont have any...
Old 06-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very common problem in the G8 for the stock balancer to start to wobble. Also a very common problem for the G8's to throw A/C belts, although I've never seen an A/C pulley break apart. Crazy Paul on GRRRR8 sells a replacement A/C belt tensioner that uses 2 idler pulleys as opposed to 1 to prevent this problem. If you are a somewhat competent mechanic you could have done it for less than half the price and had yourself a nice new UDP. or just replaced the compressor pulley, crank pulley, and belts and called it a day. Sort of what Six Speed was getting at. It isn't the A/C system on the G8's that are expensive, its the mechanics/stealership.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

I agree with what you guys are saying, I just didn't have the time to do it. With a 3 month old time is something that I don't have a ton of. But the big thing for me was the loaner car. It helped out a ton and it was really nice to run around in a 2013 Tahoe all week.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:50 PM

my car kicked the ac belt some time over the winter, i just put a new one on and moved on...so far so good
Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

You are ok with a $2300 bill for your car and it's just your A/C system and harmonic balancer? I would stroke out. If the parts are that much, I need to start collecting a lot of stuff for my GXP since I still use it as a daily driver...Fme that's crazy. Glad I turn my own wrench, at least I save $80/hr there.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car kept throwing the AC belt so the dealer said they would install the double idler pulley setup. When the parts came in they told me it would be $1200 with labor and I almost had a heart attack. I told them it was a design flaw so they called GM and they agreed to pay $1000 of the cost. What a relief that was!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:08 AM
TECH Veteran

My AC belt got kicked off all the time. The dealer told me to go f myself.

Quick Reply: A/C blew up...