Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, iam sure alot of people still agree with me like i have said befor. we love the car, G8's kick *** i would love to have one. and alot of us to. when the REAL firehawks came out, the ones that had money bought them because they would be a collector car because they were the baddest of the baddest. the looks the NAME, no one is goin to buy this car for a collectors point. just wont happen.

i can see it now a third gen hawk, and a bunch of 4th gens sittin in some old dudes garage with a G8 firehawk.

little kid loves cars and says grandpa these are all firebirds. they can fly. but whats that over there, why is that called a firehawk its not a firebird.

grandpa replies simply " i dont know and you are right"

its a heritage and you or slp dont seem to realize that iam goin to stop posting in here now because it jsut frustrates me so much that this was a dick move. even with the 1 percent chance that the car name does get changed, wich deep down inside i know it wont. now ever time i think of firehawk ill think that O wait they made a 4 door firehawk that didnt sell. everyone that wanted to make a g8 faster went and bought a base model and modded them and made them faster than the firehawk. its simple we dont like the name but love the car what can you not understand about that.

a simple iam sorry but theres nothin i can do about it now could be in order but that still will not make it better.

PLUS. to the " a ledgend reborn" NO NOT reborn, destroyed.

long live the firehawk i just hope one day i can add a real firehawk one day to sit next to the ws6

i got it when they come out. if one is sittin on the lot outside ill go steal the stickers from it and put them on my bird, but its still not a firehawk. some one will go to buy a g8 and be like o this seems like a higher optioned g8

disgusted
Old 09-26-2008, 01:18 AM
12 Second Club

1 more thing... it says over 14,000 people have viewed, so we can say atleast 10,000 different people have looked at this.

how about we get all these people that have looked and havent posted to give us there opinion even if it just says HORRIBLE. POST it up then you can count how many people actually like it. then we can print this out and send thousands of copies to SLP in the mail protesting.

might be an idea, come on people
Old 09-26-2008, 02:27 AM
Staging Lane

i think its a bad idea to call it a firehawk. it just does not make sense to call it that to me
Old 09-26-2008, 03:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you guys at SLP are thinking.... "It will sell becuase of the Firehawk name" .... I think you will be horribly WRONG!!!!!!!!! You are BOUND to get ANYONE whom is a Firebird, Trans Am, Formula, or even previous Firehawk owner to BOYCOTT the car because you violated the heritage of the "Firehawk" name.

You are on losing ground here.

I think it would be best for you to change the name to "SLP G8" and call it a day.

The car will sell better based upon the SLP heritage rather than a wrongfully utilized Firehawk name.

Off my now.... but this is one argument I'm sure I will find a consensus with most of my ls1tech.com brethren.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:04 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I'm not going to read though 20+ pages of bickering, so forgive me if this was already mentioned. But you seem to just "not get it".
I don't think anyone is going to deny the performance of the new G8, its a great car, but it doesn't make sense to call it "FireHawk".
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is FireHawk not a spin off name of "FireBird", being that "Hawk" is a more fierce "bird", or is that just a coincidence? The name "FireHawk" would only make sense on a "FireBird".
This would be like Ford putting the "Cobra" name on the Taurus, that doesn't make any sense.
Pretty sure it got its name from the tire. Just like the Comp TA got its name from the tire.

Nothing at all with being a Firebird.

If that was the naming convention back then, then I would assume that the Firehawk will be doing the same?
Old 09-26-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dealers making requests for it....that is downright laughable. They can't sell the G8's they have in inventory, what makes you think they are going to be able to sell a SC'd G8? Especially when they will mark up the cars as well.

This will be SLP's biggest flop. You would have been better off offering a package for the Cobalt SS or G5 or even the Solstice/Sky twins.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Does SLP sell Firehawk decals yet?

I can't wait to put one on my beat to **** daily driver subaru.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

i think we need a Yenko Aztec next
Old 09-26-2008, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys at at SLP just made one stupid *** mistake. Calling it a Firehawk would aim at the original Firehawk owners, which are obvious disgusted with this abomination. seriously, SLP G8 like someone said would be 30X better for business and the situation. Advertise like "From the brand that brought you the Firebird Firehawk comes the SLP G8." Stupid but you see what I mean. That being said, they can't sell G8's as is, so this is just (even more) retarded.

Last edited by Nine Ball; 09-26-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Dave,

I can speak for everyone when we say that we are happy that you are (SLP) are modifying a G8, that's not our problem. It's just tough to understand why you would name a vehicle that has no correlation to the Firebird a Firehawk. So please stop thinking that we have a problem with SLP modifying the G8, it's simply the concept of a 4 door, possibly a v6 Firehawk.
I couldn't agree more!

Last edited by Y2KFirehawk; 09-26-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AlexLs1
I'am not pleased about this like the majority. I would think people might buy the SLP/Firehawk G8 but if they do they'll probably take all the Firehawk emblems off of it, if they refuse to do up there own G8 with there own personal taste on the car.
I was thinking the same thing, buy one for the performance and pull the badging off. Or just buy a GXP and build it the way you want. Ive always loved the firehawks and wanted to have one but in never worked out. Putting the firehawk name on the g8 doesnt fit looks and seems goofy to me.

Times have changes let the name go with the cars that brought it about. I understand it is a marketing thing to use the name but common sense to me says dont use it IT DOESNT FIT.

WE NEED A POLL FOR THIS THAT WAY SOLID NUBERS AGAINST IT ARE SEEN
Old 09-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
The only real negative attention is from the F-Body community. For every negative post I get here, I'm getting 3 positive emails from consumers ready for the new Firehawk. Here's an example I just got a few minutes ago:
David,

Greetings from Atlanta, GA! I just about fell off the sofa when I saw the news flash on Autoblog.com regarding the new Firehawk G8. Kudos to you guys for recognizing the G8 as a legitimate musclecar worthy of SLP's attention. To heck with the F-Body owners who are upset about this. They probably would have argued that a Tempest could never be a performance car.....

My father was a Pontiac guy, and was the original owner of a '62 Grand Prix, '63 Star Chief, '69 RAIII GTO, and a '77 Can Am to name a few. I had a '79 Trans Am in college - I miss that car dearly.

When the F-Body Firehawks were out I was only in my 20's and couldn't afford them, but now and it's my turn! My first question is HOW SOON? Also, can I get a copy of the G8 teaser brochure, and lastly, have the Atlanta area Pontiac dealers been named to sell the car? I just need to know whos door I need to camp out in front of.

Thanks again for doing your part in keeping the musclecar era alive and well!

Best regards,
Robert

The dealers are still emailing and the magazines are still calling and I can barely keep up.

Regards,

David

David, this post exemplifies the exact problem in a nutshell. You have some guy emailing you saying he's really excited that you guys are modding a G8 and "to heck with the F-Body owners (because they don't think a 4-door can be a legitimate muscle car)." WRONG! We love the idea of SLP coming out with a modded G8.

*** The problem we have is with the "Firehawk" NAME being put on it; not the car itself ***

The guy that wrote you that email is obviously ignorant to that fact and you are seeing the mistake as a supporting reason to keep the name "Firehawk G8". You could name the car "VroomMaster 6000" and those same people would still be excited about the car. The fact is, those people do not care about the name "Firehawk"; we do. NOBODY is going to go into a dealership and buy the car just because of it's name; they will buy it for it's performance. In contrast, there are quite a few people who might NOT buy the car (that may have otherwise), just because you were dead-set on throwing the "Firehawk" name on it.

In closing, I'm not going to try and tell you how to run your company and I hope that you don't take offense to any of this but I see dark clouds on the horizon. Think back to Business School, David. Can you think of one instance where a company alienated their base consumer (over such a minor revision) with positive results? I can't; but I can recall a few that signaled major corporate "restructuring" or worse shortly thereafter.

Good Luck and Best Regards,

Jason
Old 09-26-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

i'm rebadging my Grand Prix as a Grand Prix GTP CompG WS6 Firehawk this weekend
Old 09-26-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
Alright Tony,

I'm not taking any bets. ls1tech has had it's fair amount of media coverage over this. I'm standing by what I've said and I think that it's about time I stop until the next batch of info is ready.

You've all seen months old teaser shots which may or may not depict what the actual 2009 Firehawk looks like.

When we are ready to release some "Spy" shots if you want to call them that, we will release them through the proper agencies first, which is what should have happened before the brochures made it to the web. Once the magazines have had the car in hand and tested, I believe the performance and handling will speak volumes about what a Firehawk, "The Legend Reborn" is all about.

Regards,

David Hamburger
Dave,

I think you're misunderstanding the point we're getting at. We WANT a sick, super-high performance Pontiac G8. We WANT an SLP G8. We WANT it to get awesome coverage and ratings and reviews. And we WANT to own one. We just DON'T want it to have the name "Firehawk" thrown on it because it makes absolutely no sense. There is no correlation between the names "Firehawk" and "G8" like there is between "Firebird" and "Firehawk".

There are so many other awesome names or acronyms you could throw on this car that would have EVERYONE stoked about it's release and availability. Why choose a name that is getting such mixed reviews and doesn't actually apply to that car in the first place? If your statements are accurate, 3:1 may be decent feedback, but wouldn't you rather have 4:0?

Joe

PS - regardless of my disagreement with your decision, I AM intrigued by the fact that you are actively involved in this thread. It shows that you do care about the voice of the consumers who are going to be buying this car. But it also shows that this site and thread are probably more important to this topic than you are admitting, because if it wasn't, YOU wouldn't be here and keep coming back.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 09-26-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...y?vehicleid=15
Old 09-26-2008, 11:21 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Here are some links to other message boards. I'm not seeing this "overwhelming positive response" on any of them. Most tend to agree on the cheesy factor of using "Firehawk" on an otherwise nice car. Here are the links from a pretty diverse group of performance vehicle owners, for you to monitor this overwhelming positive reponse of 3 to 1 positives.

From G8 message boards (are these your target buyer?)
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...light=Firehawk
http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

From Corvette sites (target income/age range buyer?)
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2139389
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...46#post1235346

From Viper Club of America website:
http://forums.viperclub.org/driven/6...wk-4-door.html

From pro-touring musclecar website, average age range of 35-50:
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48086
Old 09-26-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I think it is more of a negative 1:3 positives...it is overwhelming though!

The car world seems to be disintegrating nowadays and this "Firehawk" clearly reflects that...
Old 09-26-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Here are some links to other message boards. I'm not seeing this "overwhelming positive response" on any of them. Most tend to agree on the cheesy factor of using "Firehawk" on an otherwise nice car. Here are the links from a pretty diverse group of performance vehicle owners, for you to monitor this overwhelming positive reponse of 3 to 1 positives.

From G8 message boards (are these your target buyer?)
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...light=Firehawk
http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

From Corvette sites (target income/age range buyer?)
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2139389
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...46#post1235346

From Viper Club of America website:
http://forums.viperclub.org/driven/6...wk-4-door.html

From pro-touring musclecar website, average age range of 35-50:
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48086
Here is another from LS2.com where they love the BMW's and have a base of young professionals that are in the target demographic that dave has listed.

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=667918

Seems they don't care for the idea either.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I'll say it again, if the f-body community isn't of concerne to SLP anymore, why bother spending time on a site that is comprised of ~70-80% current or former f-body owners.

I'm sorry, it bothers me that a sponsor could care less about what we think, but still want us to spend money on their products.
Good point.

Also, will the G8 Firehawk come with Firehawk tires to justify the name?

I can see myself buying a GXP but I think a s/c G8 will be too pricey for a poncho.

And if we are so off base for criticizing the G8 Firehawk, SLP should just release all of the info NOW. Call our bluff.

Last edited by triggerjerk; 09-26-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by horist
i'm rebadging my Grand Prix as a Grand Prix GTP CompG WS6 Firehawk this weekend
haha thats great. dont forget the SS, everyone has that now!

For every negative post I get here, I'm getting 3 positive emails from consumers ready for the new Firehawk.
that is bullshit, b/c the g8s are not selling. i want to see proof of this 3:1 ratio. seriously, i really do. unless you have only got 1 email from an f body owner. give me anything up to 99 emails and i will personally read all of them and garuntee that there is not 3:1 unless you send me only the ones you want. im sure ls1tech can change that ratio if you wish.

David,

Greetings from Atlanta, GA! I just about fell off the sofa when I saw the news flash on Autoblog.com regarding the new Firehawk G8. Kudos to you guys for recognizing the G8 as a legitimate musclecar worthy of SLP's attention. To heck with the F-Body owners who are upset about this. They probably would have argued that a Tempest could never be a performance car.....

im calling you out on this one. this is BS. how would he have just heard about it and simultaneously knew that the f body crowd was up in arms? answer me that.

Sonicboom said it right, its the Firehawk name not the modded G8 that is our problem. SLP G8 or something new and exciting. just not Firehawk.

Last edited by WSsick; 09-26-2008 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss