Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default David Hamburger, where are you?

Hey, I'm new to LS1tech, but I read this thread literally end-to-end. I saw you made numerous posts on the topic, but you haven't posted on this in quite a while. One of your posts stated that have thick skin. Are you pissed off?
The reason I'm asking is that you stated you had lots more info to come in the next couple of months. Well, its been a couple of months... What's new on SLP's G8 project? Dare I say Firehawk? I'll be honest. I'm not sure about my thoughts on using the name, but... I also have never owned one. This precludes me from having the right to form a serious opinion, I suppose. I sure as hell wanted one when I was younger, but the closest I ever could afford was a 1986 Fiero 2M6 and a 1991 T/A convertible.
Well, now I'm all grown up and must admit that I'm very interested in the G8 project from SLP. I make a very decent living and can now afford a cool toy.
So, again,...what's the latest news? Its now January. You were posting on this in like September or October if I recall correctly.
Just to be honest, I'm also considering a Lingenfelter G8-GXP as well.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the special packaged G8 has made a burp in the March '09 edition of GM High-Tech performance Mag on page10
Old 01-30-2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
I'm listening and I do care. I'm a sponsor here, so I also have an obligation to respond to the masses.

That is exactly the target audience, folks who want performance but do not mod. CTS, Audi, BMW, etc.. the buyers who look at these performance vehicles but lean towards American Muscle is the buyer.

Regards,

David
David, I'm a firehawk owner and I personally don't care if SLP decides to use the firehawk name on a G8 or whatever. It doesn't hurt my feelings at all and I understand the seemingly smart idea to capitalize on brand recognition, however there's a huge problem with that. First off, just like fishing you have to use the right bait, the firehawk name is not the right bait for what you're trying to catch. Seriously, don't use a uniquely American hot-rod, mod enthusiast brand name to attract Euro sport sedan potentials. They look at the whole fbody community (and all the associated spinoffs) as mullet wearing, GED having, toothless grease monkeys stuck in the 70's. We know thats not true but perception is reality and you're trying to sell cars. Stop with the 80's style script and tacky trim that screams "out of touch Big 3". Stop trying to look "muscley and tough" that stuff just doesn't resonate with you're target demographic. I think there are far better was to approach the aesthetics of this package than the curent plans. I've read many (I believe) accurate and helpful posts regarding decals and trim. Subtle and elegant with *hints* of American muscle, carbon fiber, brushed aluminum. Think elegance and technology, not muscle and gaudy flash. Hope this is helpful. I really like what GM and SLP has to offer but visually I think it's time to let go of the past and jump into the present.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:15 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Deraj
David, I'm a firehawk owner and I personally don't care if SLP decides to use the firehawk name on a G8 or whatever. It doesn't hurt my feelings at all and I understand the seemingly smart idea to capitalize on brand recognition, however there's a huge problem with that. First off, just like fishing you have to use the right bait, the firehawk name is not the right bait for what you're trying to catch. Seriously, don't use a uniquely American hot-rod, mod enthusiast brand name to attract Euro sport sedan potentials. They look at the whole fbody community (and all the associated spinoffs) as mullet wearing, GED having, toothless grease monkeys stuck in the 70's. We know thats not true but perception is reality and you're trying to sell cars. Stop with the 80's style script and tacky trim that screams "out of touch Big 3". Stop trying to look "muscley and tough" that stuff just doesn't resonate with you're target demographic. I think there are far better was to approach the aesthetics of this package than the curent plans. I've read many (I believe) accurate and helpful posts regarding decals and trim. Subtle and elegant with *hints* of American muscle, carbon fiber, brushed aluminum. Think elegance and technology, not muscle and gaudy flash. Hope this is helpful. I really like what GM and SLP has to offer but visually I think it's time to let go of the past and jump into the present.
Exactly, look at the European tuners like Dinan, AMG, Ruff, Renntech (however you spell it). Take an American car and tune it to reach the target audience that can afford it.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Just saw some pics of the new firehawk. they're posted up on the firehawk's website, probably slp's as well. anyone else catch them yet? 250 set to be built.
still not feeling it. good luck to slp.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:23 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sswagon1
Just saw some pics of the new firehawk. they're posted up on the firehawk's website, probably slp's as well. anyone else catch them yet? 250 set to be built.
still not feeling it. good luck to slp.

Links? When I do a search, I get this thread and other threads that are bashing it. Pretty funny if you ask me.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Launching!

http://www.firehawk.org/article/3781.html
Old 02-03-2009, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

http://messageboard.firehawk.org/vie...r=asc&start=30
Old 02-03-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Flat black hood on a waxed, shiny red G8? Yuck.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Interesting, but the name kinda stuck to the 'bird no ?

Last edited by shinzon; 03-26-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

What is SLP thinking...........

Overpriced garbage with a flashy riced out Firehawk (R) sticker on it.

Come on..
Old 02-05-2009, 02:52 PM

Question Oh, David?

So, I let this thread sit for a few months for me to calm down. I'm adding to the list as a 'hawk owner who's against reusing the name.

David, back in September you promised more info in 30-60 days...

We're still waiting.

And now I'm debating putting the 'hawk decals back on my car. (Repair work as a result of avoiding a head-on collision.)
Old 02-06-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not against the new Firehawk, but why can't anyone make a somewhat different looking G8. I'd have guessed by now someone would have come up with a (non-ricey) hood, fender vent, or spoiler.

I love the G8, but I wish there was more of a difference between the V6, GT, and GXP
Old 02-06-2009, 12:35 PM
blownerator

Bunch of pansies......Its a freakin car.....get over it.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
Alright Tony,

I'm not taking any bets. ls1tech has had it's fair amount of media coverage over this. I'm standing by what I've said and I think that it's about time I stop until the next batch of info is ready.

You've all seen months old teaser shots which may or may not depict what the actual 2009 Firehawk looks like.

When we are ready to release some "Spy" shots if you want to call them that, we will release them through the proper agencies first, which is what should have happened before the brochures made it to the web. Once the magazines have had the car in hand and tested, I believe the performance and handling will speak volumes about what a Firehawk, "The Legend Reborn" is all about.

Regards,

David Hamburger
I was thinking about buying a local firehawk in a few months. After reading this thread it appears Im going to take a pass. The firehawk name appears as expendable as the term "GT" or "SS". Until this can be confirmed cancelled I will not buy one.

You spoke that your target group was "potential enthusiasts". Who exactly are these people? I can only think of two such people who would want a performance car without being educated/ One are 40-55 year old men who are getting into a profitable enough job to buy a car they dreamed about when they were young but dont know too much about them. They would go for more traditional name plates like the challenger, mustang, camaro, charger and of course the corvette more so then they would go for a V8 sedan with a new nameplate (I cant begin to tell you about the number of 50 year old men driving corvettes in Florida).

Second are the teenage kids who grow into the above men. They want a fast car. They would probably buy your firehawk except for one problem. THEY HAVE NO MONEY.

So who are the people who would buy a supercharged LS3 G8? In these times? The people on this site the very people you are pissing off right now. To be clear they are not pissed about the possibility of a SLP supped up G8. On the contrary most would be quite excited to have a 12.3 or so stock street machine. But you are using the wrong name. If you called it anything else youd get praise from everyone here. Hell the concept of a warrantied 12.3 second G8 excites me. But Ill never buy anything with the firehawk name if it is used on anything but a FIREBIRD.

The G8 is on my shortlist for my first new car (along with the Camaro, Corvette C6, and Mustang GT with the new 5.0 engine) and if I choose the G8 it will be the GXP model but I will never buy the firehawk if it ran 6s on the quarter mile

You mentioned you (as in SLP) spent 100K on customer appreciation and donated "countless" money to F-body charities etc etc. I have a concept for you. Keep that 100K and use it to hire a creativity team to come up with a name rather than alienating most of your consumer base in one fell swoop.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Bunch of pansies......Its a freakin car.....get over it.
Watch out, that might get you banned if you have a differing opinion in this thread.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:12 AM
Launching!

It is rather simple and does not need to be overly stated
SLP G8 F***H***
Plus side:
Fast car, amazing performance
Negative Side:
Bad Name, poor creativity

No one, so far, NO one is questioing the performance of this new car, just the name. To say the performance will speak volumes is not what people are complaining about...it's just the name. Plus a Firehawk is a Bird.
I really like the G8's. I test drove a GT a few weeks ago, so no complaints on making it better than it already is, but it's just the name. Doesn't feel right to me or the thousands of opionions on here.
I understant the buisness side of this, it makes sense to build on the popular name that is Firehawk but to us all on here, it doesn't make sense to call this great car a Firehawk when it isn't a Bird. That's all though..hope it works out for SLP but I am just in shock over the lack of creativity to give this car it's own proper name like the other great cars of the past.
Oh and I still need to somehow get the cash up to buy a 91-92 Firehawk!!!!
Paul Lagunas
F-Body El Paso, TX.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A least there will only be 250 4-door disgraces produced... (If that...)
Old 02-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Oh and fellas, I don't think there is a need to talk trash about SLP's products. Their LM is a good product, but like everything else, some don't and some do like it. They helped bring this EFI scene to the public, at least be respectful in your posts. Hating on the Firehawk thing is the topic, nothing else.
Again..anyone want to Donate a 3rd Gen Firehawk too me? LoL
Old 02-11-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandog
Flat black hood on a waxed, shiny red G8? Yuck.
To be fair, Hamburger did say the following about the exterior options:

"The Wheels are darker in person. Also, for production, the wheels are 19" and not the 18's as shown. The flat black paint on the hood and Firehawk spoiler are delete options, meaning they are part of the base package and you can delete that option for body colored hood and spoiler."

http://messageboard.firehawk.org/vie...er=asc&start=0

last post on the page.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss