Old 09-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only comment I have is this, SLP:
GOOD LUCK, YOU ARE GOING TO NEED IT.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:01 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

I do not approve of this idea calling a G8 a Firehawk by any means. Like others have stated that name is married to the Firebirds of two generations. This reminds me of GM calling the Manaro a GTO with a failed venture.

I do applaud SLP to offer a GM vehicle with more power and still retaining a GM warranty. I just wish that SLP went with another name.

~ Craig
Old 09-22-2008, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
I don't know why you are putting words in my mouth - we are very faithful to the F-Body community and always do what we can. Someone made a false statement and I simply corrected them. With the tens of $1000's of dollars I've donated to various F-Body charity auctions this year alone we could have very easily done something else. The average $100K per customer appreciation day wasn't enough? plus the planned customer appreciation days planned this spring?

Regards,

David
I've still got my Camaro/Firebird class winning trophy from the CAD @ the Texas Motorplex . Thanks dude!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Saladbar
Gotta do what you gotta do to keep forward progress, especially in the automotive world.
Looks like my definition of "forward progress" and yours are worlds apart.

A Firehawk G8 doesnt sound like forward progress to me. Sounds like stepping on alot of heels and toes, and more importantly of people who may otherwise have been interested in a G8 with a different name. Good calls!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
Looks like my definition of "forward progress" and yours are worlds apart.

A Firehawk G8 doesnt sound like forward progress to me. Sounds like stepping on alot of heels and toes, and more importantly of people who may otherwise have been interested in a G8 with a different name. Good calls!
I meant by using a familiar name, just based on that alone would attract some attention. Vs. using a new name and people shrugging it off.

Ah well, negative publicity (from some) is still publicity.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRAGER
I do applaud SLP to offer a GM vehicle with more power and still retaining a GM warranty. I just wish that SLP went with another name.
This would be a good example of forward progress, if it werent for the burning your rep with all the people you were trying to sell cars to that happened afterwards.

Oh well...
Old 09-22-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Saladbar
Ah well, negative publicity (from some) is still publicity.
Touche
Old 09-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Launching!

That is all.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

I'm a current Firehawk owner and also a 3rd gen f-bodya dn I love the cars. I don't have a problem with SLP using the name, thier trademark, they can do with it what they want, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

One of the biggest reasons I bought my Firehawk is the looks. I had wanted a 4th gen for some time and the Firehawk is really sharp imo. The new G8 GT/GXP/etc is also really sharp imo. Those renderings of the SLP G8 do absolutely nothing for me, it doesn't look clean or muscular to me, looks more like a hot wheels car and would probably look good on my kids lunchbox.

I can only hope the paint doesn't peel off the hood, and the chrome doesn't chip off the wheels. Or have a set of wheels that crack under normal driving.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The idea of the car is great, But im just not happy with the name firehawk going on it....
X 1,000,000!!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Launching!

This is not to be offensive at all, but im glad i bought the T/A over the Firehawk now, I'm sorry to you guys that feel you got screwed in the ***

I do agree this is a very cheap shot to you guys...

Pay that extra sum of cash for the cream of the crop, only to find out that they will diminish your fame in 8 years..
Old 09-22-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Or make a family sedan with your muscle cars name on it
Old 09-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Launching!

As long as it is a V8 Supercharged and not a V6 that gets supercharged then I like it. I will probably buy it for the wife so she can race me
Thanks SLP for coming out with this!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Wrong. The 2010 Camaro will be the "closest thing to a Firebird that we are ever going to get". SLP could have become an overnight hero with the LSX world had they announced that they will be converting new Camaros over to a Firebird looking package. Think about it, a "Firehawk" based on the new Camaro. Simple nose swap to a 1st gen Firebird theme, some different wheels and emblems, maybe a ram air hood. THAT would have rocked, and been worthy of the Firehawk name.
Worthy of the firehawk name my *** (pardon my french. ) it's TWO SECONDS faster around the ring than a cobalt SS. OH WOW THATS IMPRESSIVE [/sarcasm] I'm sorry, but the camaros underpinnings are GARBAGE. It would be mucho expensive to upgrade both the looks and the feel of the car, the G8 is already a very pontiac looking car (Bottom grille is a BIG vintage feel to me, screams 70's muscle. ) and only needs work on the performance side of things. Hell, i'm just curious as to the GXP variants ring time now, I'm already buying one regardless.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

You don't really think the times posted at the 'ring are "***** to the wall" times do you? I'd be willing to bet they're not. GM would be pretty dumb to post up times of a car that is still 20 weeks away from production. My hopes are the times posted around the 'ring are just "teaser" times.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

If this car is supposed to be all of that and a bag of chips, why does it need to hang it's hat on it's name? Are the people in your Niche market so idiotic that they can't recognize a nice car? It's a new car, it deserves a new name. Use your creativity unlike GM who has whored out the SS nameplate.

From the responses that you're seeing here, you should be seeing that your potential buyers (target audience) doesn't think much of your proposed name. People are not going to to drop $38,000+ on a car because of it's name, trust me or GM who couldn't give away the 04 GTOs.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BigBronco
Best of luck.
They're gonna need it
Old 09-22-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with most, SLP is completley whoring out the Firehawk name.

I get that this is a business move by SLP and done only to sell more of their modified G8's.

What I find really odd/ just plane stupid is their reasoning behind using the name. Most people that buy performace sedan's (BMW, Audi, Saab, Mercedes etc) have never even heard of a Firehawk and have absolutely no idea what it is/was. Only us f-body enthusiasts, and other car enthusiasts as well, know what a Firehawk is and we aren't a part of the target audience.

Dave has mentioned several times that we (the Ls1tech community) are not his target audience yet we represent a majority of people that recognize the Firehawk name. If they are trying to sell more because of name recognition they have failed completley.

Your target audience knows nothing of the Firebird version of Firehawk. How many BMW enthusiasts do you know that have an interest in Firebirds?

In my eyes SLP has dropped the ball in a big way. They are trying to use name recognition to sell a car to people who that name means nothing, and the people who do know what that name means are now pissed off and probably won't be buying.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

As an 02 Hawk, 99 Anniversary,95 Comp T/A and 6 other F-bodies owner i can assure you the new Firehawk's will not be accepted ... they will not breathe new life into an elite association because this new group you are targeting are simply here until something else with shiny new gadgets or cars that speak text messages strike their fancy. Good idea alienate the ones who have stuck by slp with a "i dont care what current owners say we are going ahead with the project" attitude. Good luck with your future projects SLP , you have recieved our last dime.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have many extra parts I gathered through the years in case of damage to my car. I suppose now I should put them on my TOYOTA and call it a FIREHAWK because the name doesn't mean SH-T anymore. Way to go SLP.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss