Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

My thoughts on the G8 Firehawk issue...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Scott, you are the Camaro Brand Manager, and the "F-body Father" to all of here. But, after reading what you just posted above, it is painfully obvious that you didn't bother to even read that G8 Firehawk thread. If you had, you might understand why we were so disappointed with SLP at this moment.

>First -- we can keep things civil. We have done our part to delete/edit some of the more offensive replies. Never saw any death threats that you speak of. I agree those members should be banned permanently, if I knew who did it.

>Second -- The "Firehawk" is a legendary Firebird. It is known as the best of the best Firebird. These cars are rare and sought after. The name was built on the Firebird legacy, it was never a "brand" as SLP now refers to it. If it were a "brand" then how come they didn't slap it on the GTO? Excuses say that they are using it since the Firebird is discontinued. Well, the GTO would have also been in that excuse criteria. How about the Solstice?

>Third -- The G8 targets the performance sedan market. They obviously wanted to go head to head in performance with BMW and other notable examples. Magazines and TV writers praised the G8 for accomplishing this, and doing so for less money. Great stuff. So, why slap a 1980's looking Miami Vice logo on the side, some hood stripes, spoiler, and other boy-racer type stuff on an otherwise professional looking and classy sedan? Was it to attract the NASCAR crowd? No, it was hopefully to attract our lowly f-body crowd, since we are the only ones who recognize "FIREHAWK". But again, SLP slapped us in the face by saying that our group doesn't fit their target buyer profile. The very group that helped grow their company. What an insult. Those of us that bought new 4th gens are now 10-15 yrs older. We ARE the demographic that buys 4-door cars now. I own an '08 CTS myself. Probably buy a G8 GXP next.

>Fourth -- We have stated this 100s of times already. We are HAPPY that SLP is offering a modified G8. NOBODY is against that. We are ONLY disappointed that they are hoping to rely on using the "Firehawk" logo to carry the marketing of this car. The car should have its own identity and carry itself based on performance. It shouldn't need a chessy script logo designed for a 1992 Formula on the doors. The "target buyer" that SLP claims to be shooting for doesn't even care if it says "Firehawk" on it. These buyers just want performance and enhanced appearance mods. The use of the word "Firehawk" isn't about being worthy or not. It is simply about relying on some poor marketing idea that will fail. SLP is going to alienate the TRUE Firehawk fans and most of the performance enthusiasts by using this name. Had they simply named it the SLP G8, NOBODY would be offended. They would sell MORE cars.

>Fifth -- This has nothing to do with "SS" cars. The SS logo has been whored out since the 1960s, just like you stated. Malibu Maxx SS anyone?
Preach on brother Nine Ball.

AND YOU KNOW HE'S RIGHT!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is one of the few times members on this site can agree on something. We all think the idea of a G8 based Firehawk is a horrible idea. A upper level G8 is great. I would have to throw support behind a GTX badge or some other name on the car. I personally have always though Firehawk as a Formula/Trans-Am based package. To even drag the great GNX name into this is "appalling". The Grand Nationals are in a league of their own. I would hope G.M. would never let a Z06 Cobalt out the door. Regardless of how good it was. I don't understand why Scott would lend support to the use of the name. However, at the end of the day, SLP owns the rights and can all it whatever they choose. I maybe in the market for such a car, but will not buy one with a Firehawk badge, I don't care if it gives me a hand job while smoking M5's at a track. The name has cache and performance buyers in-the-know will see through this as a marketing ploy and little else. Shame on some of the members for posting personal info and making threating remarks. That is a low thing to do. If SLP goes farther with this then I, like many, will speak louder. With my money. I suggest you do the same if you feel the same.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't make me feel good to hear this news but push come to shove it looks like a done deal. Will I go out and buy one, probably not. Will I buy a G8 and mod it, probably. SLP as well as any other company has a single objective and we all know what that is. If that's what it takes for them to get ahead, God be with them. It reminds me of the day I read that the Dodge Daytona was to become an IROC Daytona, I about threw up. You know, if you don't like it, don't buy it. That's about all we as the consumer can do whether they think we're the target buyer or not. Sad days. Just my 02.

TopFig
Old 11-04-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ddnspider
you know what would serve them and get the point across.....if nobody bought the "Firehawk" edition G8.
I probably would still buy it, just take the SLP & Firehawk logos off and tell everyone I customized it myself.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on the G8 Firehawk issue...