Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

My thoughts on the G8 Firehawk issue...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,306 Posts

can someone(aka fbody father) please link me to all these threads where everyone is so happy and excited about using the name?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
can someone(aka fbody father) please link me to all these threads where everyone is so happy and excited about using the name?

It'd just be a link to individual posts by ChrisL
Old 10-01-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Heck if someone had just put up a simple poll the numbers would have been more useful.
I tried doing that, but it got locked and I got a 10pt infraction for doing so. I have one on LS2.com though, and over 92% of the votes -don't- like the use of the Firehawk namesake.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:11 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

posts deleted. Guys, please keep this thread on track and offer opinions and discussion about the G8 Firehawk. No need for off-topic conversations and jokes going back and forth.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J-Rod
I think the community as a whole has made its point that they feel the name, and not the car is a bad idea.

Now, to your point about GNX's and other name plates. If you put the GN or GNX logo on a Buick Lucerne for instance I promise you, you'd have a riot on the GN boards.

If you had put the ZR1 logo on the Silverado pickups you'd have some upset in the Corvette community.

The Firehawk name goes with the Firebird name. The two go together. So, when you try to apply that name to some other platform with no association, it makes no sense, and it upsets and insults those who follow the original line. Even the most basic look at the name itself FIREhawk and FIREbird shows you the commonality. The name makes no sense when applied as a "performance package" moniker to other platforms.
Exactly! I feel for current Firehawk owners. I know I would come unglued at the seams if GM or SLP were to put a WS6 badge on a G6. And I don't care if that G6 had enough power to go to the moon.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

WS6 is a RPO code though. It has been used on other vehicles before. I don't think anybody would be too upset if the SLP G8's RPO code was WU6 (which is the RPO code use to order a 4th gen Firehawk), just don't use the term Firehawk.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ddnspider
They don't exist, even the bland RegalGS guys think it's a bad idea, even every other wbody board does. Coming from guys that all liked SLP, they were the only ones who made parts for our Wbodies, then they go and make this atrocity.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:54 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I think we would all agree that a simple name like G8 HAWK, or G8-H would work. Just not the word "Firehawk", for obvious reasons.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Although I have expressed my feelings and opinion in the other thread, I feel the need to do so here as well.

Along with everyone else, I echo the opinion that we are all for SLP modifying the G8! It is simply that the Firehawk nameplate does not belong on a non-Firebird. Regardless of power, looks, whatever! How hard would it be for SLP to not put on the vinyls and call it an SLP G8 at this point??? A "no-brainer" in my book...

For the record, I believe I too am the demographic the G8 is geared towards. (25, married, child, muscle car enthusiast, etc.)

I cannot begin to express my thanks for the many people who have taken their own time to also put their thoughts out there in support of preserving the Firehawk nameplate for the Firebird only.

Tony (Nine Ball), I also want to personally credit you for the time you put in to your responses. They are dead-on with every point you make... I think it is safe to say that you speak for a lot of us with every reply you contribute.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Reckless
How about "SLP GR8"
Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I think we would all agree that a simple name like G8 HAWK, or G8-H would work.
Hmmm..... How about GR8 Hawk.... (get it... Great Hawk...) .. HAHAHA... I like the sound of that.... I can imagine someone with a license plate that says "GR8 HWK". Its not totally out-of-line either since Pontiac did use other bird themes in its past vehicles. Anyone remember the Sunbird?

I agree with the others though... G8 Firehawk is an bad name.

I have no interest in buying a G8 anyway. The versions of it that GM sells in other countries all look much better.

Last edited by VIP1; 10-01-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I love how we keep hearing about all of this "positive feedback", yet nothing has been presented to us yet. Every single f-body forum on the internet is ablaze with rants and complaints. Not sure where exactly they're finding this positive stuff.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:18 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Not just f-body forums Vendetta. Just about every auto enthusiast forum of any brand manufacturer has said similar negative responses to using the Firehawk name.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:58 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My new kick is G8 Formula. I mean, look at the heritage!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by onfire
Fbodfather and ChrisL.

SLP is the one that dropped a turd into the punch bowl. Period. Now "everyone" can't imagine or "doesn't understand" how the punch drinkers are reacting. Surely, since the punch drinkers have had a SLP glass in the past without a turd, they should overlook this small floater and be appreciative of the effort put forth into the new turd punch. Drink away you ingrates, it will be good for you!

But, the punch drinkers aren't buying.....so you guys show up and want to blame Tony and John for pointing out the turd to give SLP some political cover....but they didn't point it out....it was obvious, as turds in a punch bowl generally are......

No Turds for me Please.......... I try to always flush them....

I agree... Bad i dea and totally changes my interest in buying a G8 or a 4Th Gen Hawk in the Future.....
Old 10-01-2008, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

I just dont understand the logic going thru SLP's brains right now. HERE are the two realistic possible outcomes:

SLP goes through with the "G8 Firehawk":
- SLP uses this name, resulting in pissed-off true auto enthusiasts for using the name "Firehawk". This causes a loss in sales because of a stupid decision.
*To sum it up, this is a lose-lose situation for everybody*

SLP changes the name to ANYTHING else:
-SLP provides an excellent car with it's own ORIGINAL name, enthusiasts have no reason to be upset, sales are much much higher.
*To sum it up, this is a WIN-WIN situation for everybody*

Really, it would be an incredibly stupid decision to go through with the "Firehawk" name. It could potentially destroy the sales of this car, and really upset current Firehawk owners and enthusiasts all over the world. Wouldn't it make more sense to just play this whole thing safe by taking our advice and simply changing the name?

also, to both David H. and Scott S. - Don't give excuses and try to convince us why this is a good name (calling it Hallowed...the fact is, nobody likes it and nothing you can say will change that. That SHOULD be a big RED FLAG For you.)
Old 10-02-2008, 04:12 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Here's a suggestion that will be blatantly ignored because it makes too much sense. In 1977 , Pontiac came out with a car that was luxury plus performance and is sought after these days: the Can Am. It would be perfect for the G8 and would be based on Pontiac heritage.

The target buyer was the business type who wanted a little zip to go along with all the buttons.I'm sure the Can Am community would not be offended as it is the same concept , minus 2 doors.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I already suggested the Can Am in another thread.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Launching!

I thought Can Am was owned by a dirt bike/atv maker.....
Old 10-02-2008, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk
Although I have expressed my feelings and opinion in the other thread, I feel the need to do so here as well.

Along with everyone else, I echo the opinion that we are all for SLP modifying the G8! It is simply that the Firehawk nameplate does not belong on a non-Firebird. Regardless of power, looks, whatever! How hard would it be for SLP to not put on the vinyls and call it an SLP G8 at this point??? A "no-brainer" in my book...

For the record, I believe I too am the demographic the G8 is geared towards. (25, married, child, muscle car enthusiast, etc.)

I cannot begin to express my thanks for the many people who have taken their own time to also put their thoughts out there in support of preserving the Firehawk nameplate for the Firebird only.

Tony (Nine Ball), I also want to personally credit you for the time you put in to your responses. They are dead-on with every point you make... I think it is safe to say that you speak for a lot of us with every reply you contribute.
I can't wait to see what happens if a company gets ahold of the Z28 rights....

Here is my Pontiac Solstice Z28 or Toyota Camry Z28... PT Cruiser Z28...imagine the marketing potential!
Old 10-02-2008, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by badjuju342
Here's a suggestion that will be blatantly ignored because it makes too much sense.

The target buyer was the business type who wanted a little zip to go along with all the buttons.I'm sure the Can Am community would not be offended as it is the same concept , minus 2 doors.
There is a Can Am community?...... .......
Or are you saying THEY won't be offended cuz they don't exist.
Oh you mean this guy! Yeah... he won't be offended. LOL

My wife wants to buy a G8. Thats all she talks about, and you can add her to the list of potential non-buyers. My prediction is ...the only people who would want the FIREHAWk G8 1) Suckers not knowing the difference but willing to pay for it.
2) People who ask before the sale " Do those stickers come off?"
And you can take that to the bank!

Quick Reply: My thoughts on the G8 Firehawk issue...