Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

My thoughts on the G8 Firehawk issue...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008 | 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Originally Posted by ddnspider
you know what would serve them and get the point across.....if nobody bought the "Firehawk" edition G8.

Yea, but there are way too many people out there that have NO idea behind the whole story, ..., They'll purchase just because they've got the money & walked by it, ...

Wait a minute, ..., what a novel idea, ...
Old 09-30-2008 | 08:34 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

too much money and no taste you mean?yea sounds like SLP right about now
Old 09-30-2008 | 08:43 PM
Teching In

All in all Firehawk is just a name. I can not believe how fired up people get about this issue. I was a little surprised when i first saw the brochure with a g8 Firehawk, but it's grown on me. I can see past the name and focus more on the performance aspect of what a g8 firehawk will be. As to the v6 firehawk, again, the name doesn't really bother me. I had a 2000 firebird that i custom built a turbocharger for and it was plenty fast to beat quite a few ls1 powered cars. After i sold the firebird i bought an 06 gto and installed the 421 package. I remember when the new GTO came out it also caught a lot of flack. That being said I loved the new GTO, it was fast, powerful and sexy not to mention an interior that put my fourth gen to shame. The gto wasn't for everyone and the g8 probably isn't either. That being said I can't wait for the G8 Firehawk to come out. I currently drive a 2000 Z28 Y3f as a weekend toy. On a side note i have noticed that people tend to bash SLP a lot. Someone asks about help on installing an SLP performance package or headers or any SLP product, and you will almost always find someone posting "get your money back" or "sell the slp parts and get someone else's product." Why can't people leave some of their personal preferences out and actually give the poster help. I have used ls1tech for valuable install advice and love the people who actually post helpful info, but oftentimes i have to sort through a bunch of opinion posts. Sorry i strayed a little from topic, to each their own. If you like the G8, wan't a high performance package and can live with it being called a firehawk, then great buy one. If you can't get over the firehawk name but want a hiPo g8, buy a gxp or get a magnacharger.
Old 09-30-2008 | 08:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ddnspider
you know what would serve them and get the point across.....if nobody bought the "Firehawk" edition G8.
The government would just loan them a few more billion dollars.
Old 09-30-2008 | 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's tough enough having to go around correcting people when they say "Hey, that's a nice Trans Am!" when it's a Formula (or technically a Firebird), but now I will have to correct more idiots when I refer to the Firehawk. "What? There wasn't a Firehawk in 1992, are you retarded?" -_-

I got it... we'll just do it the bible way! BC, AD... BG8, AG8!

I had some nice reply thought out, but the more I read in the thread, the more I just can't believe the situation. So I'll just +1 on us not being mad at a SLP modded G8, but mad at the name being used and +1 on why is it so hard to be creative and think up a new legend and finally +1 on not making it stick out like a sore thumb. Lots of the BMW M cars are basically the same appearance with 3 "M" badges. SLP seems to be taking a cue from the ricer group; "If it aint fast, it's gaudy!" (Definition 2 and 3)

I have a feeling (I can only assume as I wasn't old enough to comprehend such things at the time) that this is like the late 80s Dodge Daytona all over again.
Old 10-01-2008 | 03:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Keep in mind that ChrisL is a good friend of Scott (Fbodfather) and SLP. His replies are obviously going to back them, no matter what the topic is about. Do a search on his posts on this site, about 90% of them are acting as Scott and SLP's personal assistant. With that in mind, you can see his comments at face value. He has his opinions, we have ours. No biggie.

As for an update, we have located the threatening reply and permanently banned this user for making it. We do not tolerate physical threats on LS1Tech, this has always been our policy.

Tony -- the above tells anyone who stops and thinks for one moment -- a lot.......and I really don't know what to say...other than I think you're doing this for a reason - and that reason may not be 'just' ....

Chris and Dave had nothing -- nothing -- to do with my post. The Enthusiast was from Virginia -- and when I heard about what was being said, I could not believe it.

Now -- I continue to read thru this thread - and I'm appalled (once again) at the misinformation.

First -- Chris is not my personal assistant. I suggest you apolgize to Chris....because you're misleading a lot of people. I have not talked to Chris since we were in Indianapolis -- and before that? I had not talked to him in over a month.

To some of you -- I read this site now and then...I am quite busy with my daily responsibilities -- but I do believe it's in my best interests -- and GM's best interests --- and YOUR interests that I 'take the temperature' out there. I am taking note of your comments -- as well as those on several websites. Interestingly, a lot of people do not agree with you....

Now -- I still see some people jumping to a lot of conclusions --

One person talks about the IROC Camaro -- and I forget the number of years mentioned - but let me assure you that the Camaro carried that name for a short period of time -- just about 6 years (and that's pushing it...)

Another makes reference to the Firehawk in the same sentence as the Malibu Maxx SS -- LET ME make something perfectly clear: The Malibu Maxx SS is not the same thing as a G8 Firehawk -- this is NOT an appearance package -- and if it were, I'd call Ed and Dave up and tell them it's a bad idea.

I can't answer for Dave and Ed -- but I will tell you this: I've been in this business all my life. I've seen brands come and go. And I believe that the G8 Firehawk is one great product. I hope each of you will keep an open mind -- and if the car comes to fruition, you'll take one for a test drive - and THEN decide if the car deserves such a hallowed name. (and yes, you read that right -- the Firehawk is a HALLOWED name --)

What I'm really asking is for each of you - independently -- to drive the automobile - if and when it comes to market -- and make an OBJECTIVE appraisal of the car -- if it's truly a 'killer' car -- then know that it honors that hallowed name: The Firehawk.

I really feel bad that someone's trying to make a car that we have asked for -- and they're getting a bad rap -- on THIS site -- for doing so.

Last edited by Fbodfather; 10-01-2008 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-01-2008 | 06:04 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Well fellas, let's check our history books about some of the truly great cars that seemed like a "great idea on paper" and had some very profitable loooong production runs.

The Shelby Charger: Here was car that is a sought after collectible right now. Super wealthy buyers are lining up at Barrett-Jackson to ****** these treasures up that haven't been recycled into , oh say, beer cans?

While we're at it, how's about the Daytona IROC? Boy howdy , those are a must for every serious car collection.....

Or the King Cobra Mustang II? Can't go wrong with one of those , especially with the ultra high tech Farrah Fawcett poster option.....

The Maserati TC: slap a badge on an Aries K convertible and watch 'em beat the dealership doors down to get theirs!

The Lotus Isuzu somethin' or another: A car so outstanding , I can't even remember the complete name of it!

Yes , gents ,slapping nameplates on fine examples such as the above ones completely justifies your point. And what do we know after all? We're just the schmucks who buy 'em ( or not) .Probably couldn't hurt anything to stick "SS" somewhere around FireHawk or G8 either... Better safe than sorry, I say.

Point blank: This is a REALLY bad idea , performance sedan or not.

Last edited by badjuju342; 10-01-2008 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-01-2008 | 06:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
I am taking note of your comments -- as well as those on several websites. Interestingly, a lot of people do not agree with you....
I have no idea who you are, but I get the sense that you have some influence over GM and SLP and this new car...

Nonetheless, are you completely blind? Did you not read any of the dozen or so links that were cited in the other thread? There are PLENTY of people who are AGAINST this naming convention -- and they're not all f-body owners or even GM owners for that matter. I suggest you review those links so that your thoughts are skewed about who really supports this.
Old 10-01-2008 | 07:44 AM
STF Veteran

I'm not crazy about them using the Firehawk name but I'm not THAT concerned about it. While I don't profess to be in the know or even smart, it does seem like there is more going on than what's on the surface.

I'm sure I'm wrong though...
Old 10-01-2008 | 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure when tony put up the Firehawk Viper picture in his sig but I couldn't stop laughing after seeing it
Old 10-01-2008 | 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

First -- Chris is not my personal assistant. I suggest you apolgize to Chris....because you're misleading a lot of people. I have not talked to Chris since we were in Indianapolis -- and before that? I had not talked to him in over a month.
He meant figuratively, not literally. He could've said 'brown noser' I guess heh

To some of you -- I read this site now and then...I am quite busy with my daily responsibilities -- but I do believe it's in my best interests -- and GM's best interests --- and YOUR interests that I 'take the temperature' out there. I am taking note of your comments -- as well as those on several websites. Interestingly, a lot of people do not agree with you....
I think I speak for quite a few people when I say this: Prove it, please. This doesn't mean, show us the people who think the idea of modding a G8 is a good idea, I mean show us those who think using that NAME is.

Now -- I still see some people jumping to a lot of conclusions --
How? It's 'said and done', as far as SLP is concerned. Apparently they've jumped to conclusions that after polling their very very very small (as only logic could dictate) focus group, that using that name was a good idea. They must have only asked 4 select people to get that "3:1" in favor of it ratio.

I can't answer for Dave and Ed -- but I will tell you this: I've been in this business all my life. I've seen brands come and go. And I believe that the G8 Firehawk is one great product. I hope each of you will keep an open mind -- and if the car comes to fruition, you'll take one for a test drive - and THEN decide if the car deserves such a hallowed name. (and yes, you read that right -- the Firehawk is a HALLOWED name --)

What I'm really asking is for each of you - independently -- to drive the automobile - if and when it comes to market -- and make an OBJECTIVE appraisal of the car -- if it's truly a 'killer' car -- then know that it honors that hallowed name: The Firehawk.
This is what seems to be slipping the few important folk's grasp. We're not arguing the fact it'll be a sweet product, IT'S THE NAME USED. No matter how good it is, of Firebird nomenclature (if you'll accept my use of the word). And you're right, it is hallowed. So does that mean SLP plans to call their upcoming Camaro project the "Jesus Christ", just because it's so awesome and rose from the dead? Maybe when you start it, Ministry's Jesus Built My Hot Rod will play

I really feel bad that someone's trying to make a car that we have asked for -- and they're getting a bad rap -- on THIS site -- for doing so.
To be fair, "We" asked for a Firebird resurrection, even if it carried a different name. The Camaro needs it's hot sister back, that all it's friend's want to have

Originally Posted by vital49
I have no idea who you are, but I get the sense that you have some influence over GM and SLP and this new car...

Nonetheless, are you completely blind? Did you not read any of the dozen or so links that were cited in the other thread? There are PLENTY of people who are AGAINST this naming convention -- and they're not all f-body owners or even GM owners for that matter. I suggest you review those links so that your thoughts are skewed about who really supports this.
My(our) point exactly!
Old 10-01-2008 | 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Either you are not reading any of the replies, or you just don't understand what we are saying.
In the next few years I'm going to be in the market for a new car, and the G8 is high on the list, so would think I am a "target audience" for this car.
I will most likely test drive a "FireHawk G8", but I won't be buying one with the name "FireHawk" on it, no matter how good it drives because plain and simple, the name makes no sense, and brings to mind a firebird. And If I wanted a firebird I would buy one, but I want a performance sedan, not a "FireHawk." Just like if it were to be named a "Mustang", that equally doesn't make any sense, because if I wanted a Mustang I would be buying the one made by Ford.
Do you understand Scott? We all know the car will drive great, performance is NOT the concern, its the NAME. And its not that we don't think it will live up to the performance of the name, again we are not talking about performance. The name as a whole on the car doesn't make any sense. It would be no different than calling the car a Firebird. We don't care if the car can outperform a Ferrari Enzo, READ: THE NAME DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.
Old 10-01-2008 | 08:05 AM
LSX Mechanic

Prove it. I haven't seen ANY positive feedback at ALL to the idea of you guys whoring out the Firehawk name on a Grand Am look-a-like remake. I would love for you guys to show us all this "positive" feedback you've been getting, and show us the way to all these other people that "don't agree". Because your employees at SLP don't count.
Old 10-01-2008 | 08:57 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Tony -- the above tells anyone who stops and thinks for one moment -- a lot.......and I really don't know what to say...other than I think you're doing this for a reason - and that reason may not be 'just' ....
Here are my reasons: I own a Firehawk, and can appreciate the heritage of the name. They have always been my favorite 4th gen, period. My '02 Hawk only has 11K miles on it, it lives under a car cover in storage. I consider it one of my prized possessions, ask anyone that knows me. I put more miles on the Viper than I do that Firebird. This marketing scheme of using "Firehawk" for the G8 is just a bad idea. ~POOF~! There goes the legendary heritage of the Firebird top model that we all love. I drove the Firehawk for the first time in six months yesterday. This entire SLP decision has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I'm going to actively try to sell the car.

Chris and Dave had nothing -- nothing -- to do with my post. The Enthusiast was from Virginia -- and when I heard about what was being said, I could not believe it.
Reading comprehension. I never said your post was because of Chris or Dave. I did say that Chris only posted to show his support for you, and he has his own agenda since he is your buddy. We would expect your buddies to support you.

Now -- I continue to read thru this thread - and I'm appalled (once again) at the misinformation.
Appalled? Try seeing how we are appalled at the use of the name "Firehawk" on something other than the best Firebird ever built? I'm still trying to figure out your involvement here Scott. Seems like you are taking a bullet for a losing cause here. Hopefully you aren't going to announce a Firehawk Camaro, and just want to soften the blow to us now with the G8. Keep in mind that your responses here also represent GM, and there are 1000s of eyes watching how you handle this.

I will not apologize to Chris. I know he isn't really your secretary, but he sure has filled that role nicely in his past posts here. It was a figure of speech, not literal. Chris came in here and got personal with me, I was keeping things civil and organized here. Chris can screw off.

Interestingly, we keep hearing this phrase, but see ZERO evidence of this. I challenge SLP to announce this news to every single automotive community that we can find. We can keep score.

1. Several will support the decision of the modified G8. We've already said this. I know, you are busy and can't take the time to read the replies.

2. Interested buyers are not buying the modified G8 because it is named "Firehawk". You could call it Blingmaster Fresh G8, and those same buyers would still buy it for the performance. Not for the name.

3. Auto enthusiasts will generally disagree with the use of the name Firehawk, and see this as a lame marketing stunt. THAT is our concern here.

"Scott -- the above tells anyone who stops and thinks for one moment -- a lot.......and I really don't know what to say...other than I think you're doing this for a reason - and that reason may not be 'just' ...."

I used your own reply above, it fits. Those statements tell me that you have not read any replies in that 20 page thread. I don't know why you want to get involved here, but can't seem to read the actual responses of your FANS. I've read each and every one of them, along with ALL of them I could find on other sites. The overall gist is the same on all sites, that the CAR IS A GOOD IDEA. The NAME IS A BAD IDEA. Why can't you understand the message here Scott?

I'm "appalled" that I keep having to reply to the same broken record of excuses. I would be one of the first in line to buy an SLP modified G8, so would the majority of us. We would NOT want it to say "Firehawk" on it, however. Is this so difficult to understand??????
Old 10-01-2008 | 09:36 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

I think the community as a whole has made its point that they feel the name, and not the car is a bad idea.

Now, to your point about GNX's and other name plates. If you put the GN or GNX logo on a Buick Lucerne for instance I promise you, you'd have a riot on the GN boards.

If you had put the ZR1 logo on the Silverado pickups you'd have some upset in the Corvette community.

The Firehawk name goes with the Firebird name. The two go together. So, when you try to apply that name to some other platform with no association, it makes no sense, and it upsets and insults those who follow the original line. Even the most basic look at the name itself FIREhawk and FIREbird shows you the commonality. The name makes no sense when applied as a "performance package" moniker to other platforms.

While I know SLP can afford to develop another trademark, the intial reaction it gives me is they are too cheap to develop something original, and are trying to squeeze an old brand image. Just on the surface the whole decison makes no sense whatsoever.

Scott, you are trying to make arguments to support the decision, and thats fine and all. But, put simply Tony's points actually make sense, and yours don't. In fact in reading yours it looks like Ed called up crying and you came in to try to cheerlead for SLP. You called a couple of your friend up who come in to back you up, and you make some really weak arguments. Now, I am not excusing a death threat, or anything else that is against common sense standards of decency to one another, or just basic manners.

I'll make the point again that Tony made. No one is against SLP doing a package for the G8. Its a great idea, just like what HSV already does for the Holden community. The only thing folks take issue with is the name.

If you need a name, go back to the Pontiac Archives and pull out any number of names related to the other Pontiac performance marques that are somewhat more generic.

If SLP thinks a Firehawk Camaro is a good idea as well, which is where this seems to be the logical conclusion, they have again missed the point. There are plenty of Camaro and GM related names to choose from that have some brand identity.

If SLP wants name recogniztion and brand identitiy, go off their name like HSV, Roush, SVT, SRT, etc.... The idea of using a model specific moniker to denote your whole performance program is in my opinion not based on sound judgement, and weakens brand image. But, it may be to the point where SLP will do it in spite of the communities response just to say we can because we can...
Old 10-01-2008 | 09:41 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by J-Rod
I think the community as a whole has made its point that they feel the name, and not the car is a bad idea.

Now, to your point about GNX's and other name plates. If you put the GN or GNX logo on a Buick Lucerne for instance I promise you, you'd have a riot on the GN boards.

If you had put the ZR1 logo on the Silverado pickups you'd have some upset in the Corvette community.

The Firehawk name sgoes with the Firebird name. The two go together. So, when you try to apply that name to some other platform with no association it makes no sense, and it upsets and insults those who follow the original line. Even the most basic look at the name itself FIREhawk and FIREbird shows you the commonality. The name makes no sense when applied as a "performance package" moniker to other platforms.

[cut]
I'll make the point again if that Tony made. No one is against SLP doing a package for the G8. Its a great idea, just like what HSV already does for the Holden community. The only thing folks take issue with is the name.

[cut]
If SLP thinks a Firehawk Camaro is a good idea as well, which is where this seems to be the logical conclusion, they have again missed the point. There are plenty of Camaro and GM related names to choose from that have some brand identity.

If SLP wants name recogniztion and brand identitiy, go off their name like HSV, Roush, SVT, SRT, etc.... The idea of using a model specific moniker to denote your whole performance program is in my opinion not based on sound judgement, and weakens brand image. But, it may be to the point where SLP will do it in spite of the communities repsonse just to say we can because we can...
Exactly.

I think the disconnect in these threads is that one side is touting the positive feedback they are getting on the new car product, and the online communities are saying they don't like the name being used for this application. The online communities then end up feeling like they are not being heard when they feel that they are one of the biggest enthusiast blocs out there.

Honestly had I been Dave a few days ago, I would have said "Thanks guys for your sharing your passionate thoughts." And then left it at that.

Heck if someone had just put up a simple poll the numbers would have been more useful.
Old 10-01-2008 | 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is GM going to warranty the car after SLP gets through with it? If so, who at GM thought this was a good idea?
Old 10-01-2008 | 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Fbodfather = Scott Settlemire = GM Camaro Brand Manager
Old 10-01-2008 | 10:29 AM
On The Tree

So you know those little polished SLP logos that most people have on their SS's and Firehawks, because they support the name? I'm guessing a few of those will be removed.

I would so love to buy a SLP G8, but the first, and I mean immediate modification would be to take the Firehawk decals off(and I mean I would have a hair dryer at the dealer, taking them off in the lot). If this vehicle actually comes to fruition, I may consider completely de-badging my current Firehawk, because it just doesn't mean as much anymore.

I love the look of the car, but I would be in despair trying to debate what a Firehawk is with one of SLP's "target audience" members(who don't know what an original Firehawk is, and the terms 3rd and 4th gen only bring Iphone's to mind for them). I see the day coming where I am questioned why I have a Firehawk decal on my car because that is a G8 option, and I shouldn't be tarnishing a limited edition G8 namesake by putting it on an F-body.
Old 10-01-2008 | 10:47 AM

Personally I'm going to make my vote with my money...I won't be buying one. I don't disagree with the people who talk about selling their current Firehawks either.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on the G8 Firehawk issue...