Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

My thoughts on the G8 Firehawk issue...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badjuju342
Here's a suggestion that will be blatantly ignored because it makes too much sense. In 1977 , Pontiac came out with a car that was luxury plus performance and is sought after these days: the Can Am. It would be perfect for the G8 and would be based on Pontiac heritage.

The target buyer was the business type who wanted a little zip to go along with all the buttons.I'm sure the Can Am community would not be offended as it is the same concept , minus 2 doors.
I agree with going with Can Am. Or why not Grand Prix, since GM is killing it at the end of the year anyway. I'd definatly buy a G8 Grand Prix over a G8 Firehawk. Just throwing it out there.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Might as well let the cat out of the bag......checkout my sig for my really rare Firehawk 1/2-ton
Old 10-03-2008, 04:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reckless
Might as well let the cat out of the bag......checkout my sig for my really rare Firehawk 1/2-ton
LOL... Jus' Sayin!
Old 10-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Teching In

I think the Firehawk name should always be with the birds, after all, the name is abird as well

just made this a bit ago, this how the SLP edition G8 should be called a lol

Old 10-03-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 10-06-2008, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I think we would all agree that a simple name like G8 HAWK, or G8-H would work. Just not the word "Firehawk", for obvious reasons.
Thanks for fighting for all of your fellow hawks Nine Ball. Its sad that SLP is totally ignoring the very people who supported them and bought there products for years. If they were so hard up to use the firehawk name again why not do something really special like what GMMG did? Take a limited amount of new camaro's, convert them into a firebird and make the baddest firehawk's ever and something really special. Instead they're slapping some decals on a sedan and destroying the best thing they ever made. If this car is released with the name firehawk on it, my car will be debadged and SLP will never again get any of my business. What a sad time for my fellow firehawk owners.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Prey4Me
If they were so hard up to use the firehawk name again why not do something really special like what GMMG did? Take a limited amount of new camaro's, convert them into a firebird and make the baddest firehawk's ever and something really special.
Now there's an idea....but it sounds like WORK, when it looks like all they want to do is slap on some decals.

It's depressing when organizations that have spent years building up goodwill and reputations commence to squander it away in short order.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gitano1 can you make that again but this time make it a GTX or a GTX by SLP.. I posted this in the other thread but why not use the Dam GTX name plate they did on the GP's like they did before? Everyone knows the G8 is a Grand Prix replacement? I think the GTX would make EVERYONE happy no?

and btw I feel pretty cool because one of the founders of LS1Tech has a TBSS....and mines faster sorry couldn't resist

edit.. I got it... G8X that's it... tell me you can't feel that one? perfect sense the GTX was after the GTP, so G8X is after the G8?? the Grand prix replacement..come on now do it...do it..hell, they could start putting "X" after all the factory names, like the new Camaro SSX..

Last edited by TonyGXP; 10-07-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The G8X works . . . The GTX is a Castrol Oil, thus already trademarked . . .
Old 10-08-2008, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Personally I like FAILHAWK.... but thats just me
Old 10-08-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Junkie

When I think of a Firehawk I think of a Firebird, the top of the line Firebird you can get. Everyone who knows me has to hear me say how much I want a Firehawk. But if in a couple years, I have to distinguish between a G8 and a Firebird, that's gonna be rediculous. I will also own a G8 as my next car, but I will stick with the GXP. I personally do not want to be responsible for assisting GM in marketing such a mistake, a poorly named product.

LOSE THE FIREHAWK NAME. AND WE WILL ALL BE HAPPY.

Oh, also. The new G8 truck SUCKS. I was very displeased to see how ugly that truck is and how is has to share the same front end of the one car that I do love, the G8.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

When I bought my 2001 Camaro SS brand new, even ordered the car, I thought I bought something extra special since it was an "SS". Then a few short years later, Chevy started putting SS on just about everything, kinda pissed me off, made my SS have less of a wow factor. I guess the thing that people can't confuse is the name Camaro.

Now a days when you say "I have an SS" to the common folk, they will say SS what? Malibu, Cobalt, Impala, Monte Carlo, Camaro.

I just can't believe that SLP would use the name Firehawk for a different platform, at least it did stay with Pontiac. Is the SLP marketing department that lame and couldn't come up with something new? Did you have that many "Firehawk" badges left over from the F-Body program, you decided to use them on the G8? SLP could have done a poll on here for free to get a name that would fit the G8 that most would like and have some meaning.

SLP - It's not too late to go back to the drawing board. With as much effort you put into this I just can't wait to see the 2010 Firehawk Solstice....

Last edited by Billiumss; 10-09-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Billiumss
SLP - It's not too late to go back to the drawing board. With as much effort you put into this I just can't wait to see the 2010 Firehawk Solstice....
I would MUCH rather have them call the Solstice the Firehawk :\ At least Solstice has to do with the Sun ("Sol" means sun, and solstice refers to the sun's position during times of the year), which is a bit hot fire ball That, and it's a 2dr, and not a coupe as well. It is FAR from a F-Body, but if SLP dropped in a even 4.8 truck motor... LOOK THE FORK OUT! I mean, why not? Saab dropped in V8s into two of the 9-7 models!
Old 10-09-2008, 10:10 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I personally do not want to be responsible for assisting GM in marketing such a mistake, a poorly named product.
Once again, as this has been repeated numerous times already:

GM did not decide to use "Firehawk" on the car. This is 100% SLP's decision to do so. SLP owns the rights to the name Firehawk, and SLP does the conversion work outside of the GM assembly plant. Summary: GM has nothing to do with this, SLP does.

Billium, I'd rather see a Firehawk Solstice. SLP dropped the ball by not making a Firehawk GTO in 2004. The same excuses they use now to justify the G8 could have also been used on the GTO, but that never happened. At least the GTO had 2-doors and served as the replacement for the Firebird.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the G8X...
Old 10-09-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will tell you one reason that this upsets me. Simple,

Tony, you know I love this place, but it is well known in the Aftermarket Automotive community that is not the place to do R&D on new vehicles/new vehicle items.

We used a more traditional means including a few past Firehawk owners that had no issues with the name being used as well other methods that we have used for the past 18 years of building niche vehicles.

-David

THIS IS THE BEST PLACE TO DO R/D! Where else are you going to get to so many people? I think one true reason that so many are upset is because you offer this car with a V6. Your in the business of making money, and everyone knows that, but its gonna be just like the V6 fbodies and Mustangs, your true fans will look at this car the same as we look at V6 fbodies and this that its a waste of time and metal.

Last edited by Nine Ball; 10-09-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLk01SS
I will tell you one reason that this upsets me. Simple,

THIS IS THE BEST PLACE TO DO R/D! Where else are you going to get to so many people? I think one true reason that so many are upset is because you offer this car with a V6. Your in the business of making money, and everyone knows that, but its gonna be just like the V6 fbodies and Mustangs, your true fans will look at this car the same as we look at V6 fbodies and this that its a waste of time and metal.
EXACTLY! Look at all the people discussing the issue! We're going to discuss it with our friends, sometimes around non car enthusiasts. The non car enthusiasts will then see the product on the market, and have a biased opinion against it. A huge negative reaction by the Performance enthusiast community can easily trigger a domino effect that leads into the general public.. don't just blow off a group of people's opinions, especially ones that are leaning HEAVILY one way.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
EXACTLY! Look at all the people discussing the issue! We're going to discuss it with our friends, sometimes around non car enthusiasts. The non car enthusiasts will then see the product on the market, and have a biased opinion against it. A huge negative reaction by the Performance enthusiast community can easily trigger a domino effect that leads into the general public.. don't just blow off a group of people's opinions, especially ones that are leaning HEAVILY one way.
Quite true, if you're the average joe and see two guys in a shop, at a parts store or anywhere really (if you can tell they're a wrench head) yapping about something. You're going to instinctively think that they at least have a fair idea what they're talking about. Just how we all know that a 'douche bag' standing next to a ricer and yapping about something, hasn't a clue what he's talking about
Old 10-21-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

unbelieveable, i say.
to think that scott s. the man that has carried the torch for not only the fbody, but really the whole gm performance commnity, for the past x years, would even think that something so distasteful is going to get accepted. as an fbody lover since i was like 3 and now being 33 i feel like a kid in a candy store. i have my paid off ws6 and now look around and i say wow! what do i want next? g8, corvette c6, new camaro ss! and iget excited becasue these cars OOZE class and respect that a 33 year old SUCCESFUL PROFESIONAL WOULD WANT TO BE SEEN IN> that is the whole point, no disrespect to my fellow firehawk owners, but even when i bought my ws6 lessthan a year old at 26 in 2001 i was already turned off by the FIREHAWK 1980s name and logo. it is still to be repsectedfor what it is. but that name is better left alone, untouched respected and honored. fast forward to 2010. I DO NOT WANT TO SEE ram air stickers, trans am windshield decals, etc. becsue they LOOK and ARE TACKY. clean and smooth is the name of the game today and that is what the g8 is. for the first time pontiacis getting the recognition that it wanted and needed with the solstice, g6, and g8. PLEASE DO NOT RUIN THE RISE IN REPUTATION, by reverting back to a neon blue sticker. give us a simple clean g8 rename with all of the bells and whistles, v6 or v8 i have no problems there as long as it is a performance upgrade for handling and getting off the line. scott,ed, and dave you are heldin such high regard bythe automotive industry as a whole please do not ruin the strides that have been made over the last TEN yearsstarting with 4th gen fbodies, gtos, g6s, solstices, and now g8 and the CAMARO, by using such a horribly devised MARKETING ploy. and again please do not use ws6 as a badge on anything else either, cuz i dont even say trans am or firebird when i tell people about the car, it is a WS6. thank you and good day.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

To tell you the truth this really took away from when I bought my Firehawk. Now when I go outside all I can think is "Great there are going to be people talking to be about G8's now" I have nothing against the G8, I love the car and was thinking about buying one, but when they take the name off the car that I so love so much and slap it on a sedan that annoys me. Tony hit the nail on the head, Solstice Firehawk would have been more accepted but I still would have been annoyed. SLP pretty much slapped all Firehawk owners in the face when they basically said we don't value your opinion you're not who's going to be buying this car. I was on the road a few months ago and another Firebird owner rolled up next to me and all I could hear come out of his car was "HOLY **** THAT'S A FIREHAWK" Will I still get the same reaction after this is introduced? I don't know but I still remember that because it made me value buying that car. I just can't see this being a good idea making this car and I do resent SLP for making this choice.

Last edited by SlvrFormula; 10-23-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on the G8 Firehawk issue...