Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

G8 GT vs CTS-V vs 335i...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G8 GT vs CTS-V vs 335i...

Hey everyone! Just wanted to ask som questions. I am contemplating getting a new car soon. My Ram 1500 Hemi is gonna be out of warranty soon so I am considering the following: '09 G8 GT (new), '05 CTS-V (used obviously), or a '08 335i (new). My questions are will a CAI/Tuned G8 GT take a CTS-V? Anyone have experience with this? Handling comparisons between the G8 and the V? Also, anyone have a run in with a 335i? I have found SMOKING deals on a used/low mileage CTS-V and a 335i, I had my heart set on a G8 GT but have now driven the other two and have cast some doubt in my mind. The positive of the BMW is the free maint, the CTS-V would def need an ext warranty, G8 having the 100K powertrain. Just throwing this out there, any input would be awesome!! Thanks! Also any interest in the Hemi let me know!
Old 02-06-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZO6TrailblazerSS
I am considering the following: '09 G8 GT (new), '05 CTS-V (used obviously), or a '08 335i (new). My questions are will a CAI/Tuned G8 GT take a CTS-V? Anyone have experience with this? Handling comparisons between the G8 and the V? Also, anyone have a run in with a 335i? I have found SMOKING deals on a used/low mileage CTS-V and a 335i, I had my heart set on a G8 GT but have now driven the other two and have cast some doubt in my mind.
Just a side note, if you were considering the $40,000 used CTS-V or BMW 335, you might want to consider the Pontiac G8 GXP instead of the GT. The GXP MSRPs at $37,000, but you may have to pay $40,000 (no surprise a small markup on a limited car), you also get the extra 50 some HP, and a manual tranny.

Both the G8 and CTS-V will come with a 100,000 mile/5 year warranty. All of them are great cars, I personally would have a tough time chosing between the the three. The GXP though, in manual form is arguably the fastest of the three. Handling of the GXP may be marginally better than the CTS, the BMW I'm not sure of, as it is a much smaller car, with a suspension I'm not familiar with
Old 02-06-2009, 11:04 AM

I agree that in this case the GXP might be the way to go.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Launching!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-ra...35xi-kill.html

Hope that helps some.

Also I agree with going with a GXP over either of the other 2 cars listed...I may be biased, but it's by far the better car, with the most room to modify for cheap (compared to the other 2 cars). Go take a test drive and you may never look back. If you drive an auto and the tranny feels slow just remember for 400 bucks you can have it tuned and pick up ALOT of hp and the trans will wake up ten fold.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Im gonna have to second the tug boat on this... GXP FOR THE WIN!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Hey everyone. Thanks for the input so far! I just got back from driving an '06 V and HATED it. I think the car must have been beat up pretty bad by the previous owner. The '05 I am looking at has under 10K miles so it is like new AND it has the FG2's. I really like the '05 for the LS6 engine, same as my ZO6. I know the engine well, tranny, etc. My TBSS has the LS2 and even though same horsepower (almost +/- 5) the LS6 seems stronger, better torque curve. I am biased to the Bowtie/GM. My first car was a 1991 ext cab 2wd Sierra 1500 with an LT1 Vette engine. I have a long love affair with GM. The BMW is a nice ride, with the sport package feels tighter than any V I've driven so far, but it is also brand new. The main issue is the 335 and G8 would be auto's which is fine with me, I avg 35K miles of Boston traffic a year so I love an auto sometimes but have no problem with a stick for daily driving. ++ the BMW has not a dime out of pocket for 4yr/50k which is enticing. I am soooo torn it's rediculous. Payment wise it all comes out pretty close. If I went with the GXP I would wait a year. I am going to go Sunday and drive a G8 GT and the 335i back to back. Ill leave some more info as I go. Thanks again everyone!
Old 02-06-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Pre-09 CTS-Vs are black holes for issues starting with their under-engineered rear ends. Stay away. The 335i (and the 535i, which I would consider a closer competitor than the 335i) are great machines, with a chip upgrade you're in race territory. I would test drive a 535i before committing to anything.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Hey everyone. Thanks for the input so far! I just got back from driving an '06 V and HATED it. I think the car must have been beat up pretty bad by the previous owner. The '05 I am looking at has under 10K miles so it is like new AND it has the FG2's. I really like the '05 for the LS6 engine, same as my ZO6. I know the engine well, tranny, etc. My TBSS has the LS2 and even though same horsepower (almost +/- 5) the LS6 seems stronger, better torque curve. I am biased to the Bowtie/GM. My first car was a 1991 ext cab 2wd Sierra 1500 with an LT1 Vette engine. I have a long love affair with GM. The BMW is a nice ride, with the sport package feels tighter than any V I've driven so far, but it is also brand new. The main issue is the 335 and G8 would be auto's which is fine with me, I avg 35K miles of Boston traffic a year so I love an auto sometimes but have no problem with a stick for daily driving. ++ the BMW has not a dime out of pocket for 4yr/50k which is enticing. I am soooo torn it's rediculous. Payment wise it all comes out pretty close. If I went with the GXP I would wait a year. I am going to go Sunday and drive a G8 GT and the 335i back to back. Ill leave some more info as I go. Thanks again everyone!
I test drove both of them before buying my G8 GT, hands down the better car. Once you strap on a CAI and a tune you will never look back, unless you add a ported TB and intake, underdrive pulley, cat backs, headers ........etc.........
Old 02-06-2009, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a muscle car guy but, if money is no problem then get the 335i. my friend has an 07 and it's awesome. It is superior in overall quality of everything and handles better. They also have tuning upgrades. My friend paid 2 grand for a gain of 80 hp and 100 ft-lbs. Personally, I would love to have a coup without the xi awd.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get an '08 G8 GT instead of an '09. There's NO difference, except the "Atari" gauges are gone, and there's numerous '08s on autotrader w/ less than 10k miles in the $20-25k range.

You may know the ls6 and t56, but you don't know the rear differential so beware. I'm not saying DON'T buy the CTS-V but it is the achilles heel of those cars, and it doesn't take much for it to go KABOOM.

By far the best would be the GXP G8 but is pricey. The 335i is really nice, but I'm a domesticated being so w/ GM I stay loyal to. No negatives toward the Beemer though.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by '02 Double U S-6
Get an '08 G8 GT instead of an '09. There's NO difference, except the "Atari" gauges are gone
What exactly did those gauges measure anyways?
Old 02-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Teching In

i drove a 335i - very solid car
i love my german cars and this was going to be a step up from the VWs im so used to driving

however now i have been looking at G8s - test drove one and im sold on the G8

I think the BMW is much better around corners and has a few more little bells and whistles (like lights that turn with the steering wheel) but other than that its not worth the premium over the G8 GT

as for the GXP - not sure - i have a kid on the way so im going with the automatic and an aps turbo system

not to mention im not "cool enough" to own a bmw and wouldnt feel right driving one around - maybe an S4/RS4 but not a 335
Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hc8719
What exactly did those gauges measure anyways?
Voltage and oil pressure. They made some rediculous pod style that replace them but they're from the Aussies and still knicking $600!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Depends on what your intention is also.
If yer gonna cruise back & forth to work everyday, the comfort & features of the 335i may be worth it.
If yer gonna mod it & do some racin', the G8 may be the better bang for the buck as aftermarket parts may also be less expensive.

IMO, if you want reliability, & resale value later on, ..., the 335i gets my vote.
(And I have both GM cars & a BMW. I'd buy another BMW tomorrow. GM? Hmm, maybe not.)
Old 02-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Hey everyone! Just wanted to ask som questions. I am contemplating getting a new car soon. My Ram 1500 Hemi is gonna be out of warranty soon so I am considering the following: '09 G8 GT (new), '05 CTS-V (used obviously), or a '08 335i (new). My questions are will a CAI/Tuned G8 GT take a CTS-V? Anyone have experience with this? Handling comparisons between the G8 and the V? Also, anyone have a run in with a 335i? I have found SMOKING deals on a used/low mileage CTS-V and a 335i, I had my heart set on a G8 GT but have now driven the other two and have cast some doubt in my mind. The positive of the BMW is the free maint, the CTS-V would def need an ext warranty, G8 having the 100K powertrain. Just throwing this out there, any input would be awesome!! Thanks! Also any interest in the Hemi let me know!
All three are nice well rounded cars that you will enjoy. One thing about the Bmw 335i is just an exhaust/tune and you have a monster Bimmer running mid to low 12's easy. The CTS-V's have a nice powertrain and handle well but that rear end makes it not fun to launch. Still at rolling speeds that CTS-V is a blast. The G8 GT to me is nice because with just a 93 octane tune they wake up big time. One mag ran a 13.1 at 107 with just a tune. Guys that add full exhaust to that are in the 12's easy.

If it was me it would come down to the G8 and Bimmer. The fact that I own a LS powered car now(GTO) I would like to see what a performance bimmer is like. Drive all of them and see what "feels" right to you. Good luck.

Last edited by TORNATIC!!; 02-08-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Teching In

i was at the track this past summer and 2 of those chipped 335s barely ran 13s with the autos - but had some insane mph - like 115 or so

both the owners were POd because they read on the internet that a chip would get them 12s etc

i guess you can chalk it up to not driving - because the track was there that day
Old 02-09-2009, 04:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Juiced6
i was at the track this past summer and 2 of those chipped 335s barely ran 13s with the autos - but had some insane mph - like 115 or so

both the owners were POd because they read on the internet that a chip would get them 12s etc

i guess you can chalk it up to not driving - because the track was there that day
Yeah that mph shows they should easily be in the 12's. My GTO is in the same predicament. Even though I have the power to be in the low 13's/high 12's(339 rwhp-355rwtq) I haven't dropped under 13.5 because of traction issues.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Update: I have officially ruled out the CTS V. I drove an '05 and a '06, both powerplants I currently in different vehicles, while it feels very strong, the rear scares the hell out of me. The extended warranties are north of $1500 for full bumper to bumper and launching really isn't fun unless you ease the pedal. I can only imagine winter time and ripping the differential apart. Someone said earlier the rearends are like black holes, very true. I also do not like having the e brake/parking brake on the floor. Today I am going to go drive a G8 and 335i back to back. Pending some finances and current offers, I may end up waiting for a GXP. The more and more I read about it, the more and more I am liking it. It maybe a little much for a daily driver, but the G8 is pretty close hp # wise, not suspension or brakes etc, but still solid.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Banned

^ ^ go in and tell your dealer you will give hime 1275 for that warrenty. that is there cost
Old 02-11-2009, 03:28 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hc8719
Just a side note, if you were considering the $40,000 used CTS-V or BMW 335, you might want to consider the Pontiac G8 GXP instead of the GT. The GXP MSRPs at $37,000, but you may have to pay $40,000 (no surprise a small markup on a limited car), you also get the extra 50 some HP, and a manual tranny.
I agree.

Quick Reply: G8 GT vs CTS-V vs 335i...