Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

gto compared to trans am

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 02:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gto compared to trans am

Hey guys im new to this thread. recently i have been looking at new cars, currently i have a 99 trans am with a few bolt-ons, its fun and i love driving it but i am looking into something different. I was looking at cts-vs but i dont think i will be able to afford one this summer. so i started looking into GTOs, first off i love the look of them, they look more sophisticated and grown up than my trans am imo, which is what i am going for, my question is, how will an 05-06 gto handle /perform to my trans am? my trans am has stock suspension, a lid, full exhaust and a 2400 stall, just curious how they would compare performance wise, comfort wise everything and what you guys think about the upgrade, also i would get a m6 gto. Thanks guys!
Old 12-03-2008, 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think it would be a great upgrade. Nice interior, the IRS suspension is supple in the corners and daily driving, the LS2 is a great motor. It would be a good upgrade. They also run similiar if not faster times as your trans am stock.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:13 AM
On The Tree

thats what i was thinking, the interior on my car feels cheap and its starting to creak, the backseat is useless except for my 6 year old cousin, and there is always something i need to do to it haha, if i got the gto i would just do intake exhaust and tune, and run what mid to high 12s? and have a comfortable daily driver that doesnt get the same stereotype as the TA
Old 12-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

I have both. The GTO is a great car to sit in everyday. The interior is more comfortable than the t/a and the car is much tighter! My T/A has been lowered and the GTO has the stock suspension. The GTO is much quieter, smoother on the road, and still handles great. If you go that route I recommend getting the 18s. They corner better than the 17s. It is a great choice for a daily driver. I have not regretted the purchase ever!!
Old 12-03-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

i/e tune, you'll get mid 12's pretty easily on most tracks. My 04 ran a 13.2 @ 109 with a CAI tune headers and catback with an awesome 2.31 60 ft, lol.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:44 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Read this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-g...-f-bodies.html
Old 12-03-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldstv
I have both. The GTO is a great car to sit in everyday. The interior is more comfortable than the t/a and the car is much tighter! My T/A has been lowered and the GTO has the stock suspension. The GTO is much quieter, smoother on the road, and still handles great. If you go that route I recommend getting the 18s. They corner better than the 17s. It is a great choice for a daily driver. I have not regretted the purchase ever!!
Well said.

I agree 100%, it is a perfect comparison of my WS6 to my GTO, and I just upgraded to the 18" wheels for the GTO as well.

Ryan
Old 12-03-2008, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

cool thanks for the input guys, i appreciate it,
Old 12-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

Id say GTO for a DD, the interior is much more comfortable. Keep the TA if you plan on building it up... they are a much better platform to make a track car out of.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Your posting on a GTO forum so your getting the repsonse that you would expect. Seems like you already know what you want but just want to hear others say it also. It's okay I do the same thing Go for the GTO it's a nice car. I'm in a similiar situation. I just got into American Muscle. I currently own a 1993 rx7 and have decided to swap in a 04 GTO LS1 engine. Now I'm getting the best of both worlds. With the GTO you get the same power you had in the TA but now your also getting the comfort and looks that come with it. Good luck with finding a nice GTO
Old 12-03-2008, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by yamii
Your posting on a GTO forum so your getting the repsonse that you would expect. Seems like you already know what you want but just want to hear others say it also. It's okay I do the same thing Go for the GTO it's a nice car. I'm in a similiar situation. I just got into American Muscle. I currently own a 1993 rx7 and have decided to swap in a 04 GTO LS1 engine. Now I'm getting the best of both worlds. With the GTO you get the same power you had in the TA but now your also getting the comfort and looks that come with it. Good luck with finding a nice GTO
thanks, yea i just wanted to hear first hand the differences, my car is loud and not a great dd, i want the gto for the nicer body, interior and better dd qualities.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

I had a 98 T/A and the only thing i miss is T-tops. The GTO is so much better.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by codysgto
I had a 98 T/A and the only thing i miss is T-tops. The GTO is so much better.
haha i think i have taken my t-tops off maybe 3 times in the almost two years i have had it, so i dont think i will miss those
Old 12-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Staging Lane

I recently sold my 98 T/A six speed and purchased an 06 M6 GTO. The difference is night and day. The GTO's interior is light years ahead of the T/A's. It handles a lot better and you do not hear the typical bumps and rattles in the GTO as you do in the T/A. I got sick of the problems with the head light motors in my T/A. Little things started going wrong on it and it started to nickle and dime me to death. The 93-02 fbody looks so dated to me as well.

Driving an fbody for the last 6 years finally got to me mentally as well. I got sick of the whole 'he must be a redneck, white trash, mullet hair" type of personna that people have about fbodies. My GTO feels like its doing 50 mph when its actually doing 100 mph. I am so glad I got rid of my T/A. And last but not least I think my GTO stock pulls a lot harder than my T/A did that had a LS1 motorsports lid, K&N filter, and Magnaflow catback. Just my opinion and I have actually done what you are thinking of doing.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by QuickSilver T/A
I recently sold my 98 T/A six speed and purchased an 06 M6 GTO. The difference is night and day. The GTO's interior is light years ahead of the T/A's. It handles a lot better and you do not hear the typical bumps and rattles in the GTO as you do in the T/A. I got sick of the problems with the head light motors in my T/A. Little things started going wrong on it and it started to nickle and dime me to death. The 93-02 fbody looks so dated to me as well.

Driving an fbody for the last 6 years finally got to me mentally as well. I got sick of the whole 'he must be a redneck, white trash, mullet hair" type of personna that people have about fbodies. My GTO feels like its doing 50 mph when its actually doing 100 mph. I am so glad I got rid of my T/A. And last but not least I think my GTO stock pulls a lot harder than my T/A did that had a LS1 motorsports lid, K&N filter, and Magnaflow catback. Just my opinion and I have actually done what you are thinking of doing.
thanks i really appreciate this info, i am in the same boat, im not 16 anymore so it doesnt seem the same as it did, the rattles and vibrations and the cheap interior is really starting to get on my nerves, so i want to upgrade and i love the looks of the GTOs, and performance wise im sure it will be very similar, probably better because my T/A is an A4, and i am going to get an M6 GTO
Old 12-04-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PBMGoatM6
Id say GTO for a DD, the interior is much more comfortable. Keep the TA if you plan on building it up... they are a much better platform to make a track car out of.
That was my plan but now I am selling the TA as well (to replace with a C6 Z06 for a fun car )
Old 12-04-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

I plan to pick up a GTO, eventually. I've driven many GTO's and I can't see my self regretting the purchase what so ever. I'am completely sold on buying one what I'am in the position.

Good luck !
Old 12-04-2008, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

sweet! thanks guys!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 67camarors
thanks i really appreciate this info, i am in the same boat, im not 16 anymore so it doesnt seem the same as it did, the rattles and vibrations and the cheap interior is really starting to get on my nerves, so i want to upgrade and i love the looks of the GTOs, and performance wise im sure it will be very similar, probably better because my T/A is an A4, and i am going to get an M6 GTO
No problem man. Once you get a GTO let us know what kind you get. You will not be disappointed.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

i'll hopefuly be getting an 05 or 06 in late spring, by my car will be sold and i will have enough money to buy my Goat very excited about it!!! how bad is wheel hop on these cars though? and is it an easy fix with drag bags and drag radials?

Quick Reply: gto compared to trans am