Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

turbo set-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up turbo set-up

so im thinking of doing a turbo set-up on my 04 and ive been running ideas thru my head and with some of my buddies that own shops. With that being said i thinking of running a 76mm turbo precision turbo i can get a good deal on one. But as far as wastegates it still kinda open and oiling system is up in the air too. I was thinking of doing a rear mount turbo and running a reservoir in the rear with a pump to pump the oil so it would have its own system. As far as an intercooler im up in the air too and i was wondering if anybody on here has done one and if so how did they do it? But injectors are covered and piping is cover as are all flanges too. But for the wastegate i think a 60mm tial wastegate is what im gonna use. But any imput woukld be great and i know im forgetting some stuff but its late so any advice would be good.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 04billygoat
so im thinking of doing a turbo set-up on my 04 and ive been running ideas thru my head and with some of my buddies that own shops. With that being said i thinking of running a 76mm turbo precision turbo i can get a good deal on one. But as far as wastegates it still kinda open and oiling system is up in the air too. I was thinking of doing a rear mount turbo and running a reservoir in the rear with a pump to pump the oil so it would have its own system. As far as an intercooler im up in the air too and i was wondering if anybody on here has done one and if so how did they do it? But injectors are covered and piping is cover as are all flanges too. But for the wastegate i think a 60mm tial wastegate is what im gonna use. But any imput woukld be great and i know im forgetting some stuff but its late so any advice would be good.
JAX04 is building his own rear mount setup ion the FI section, you can check his progress.

As for the oil system, good luck. Making a whole unit in itself is a neat idea, but not really necessary. Depending on how much power you're going for a 60mm might be too big and you can use a universal intercooler from ebay (cxracing makes good ones).
Old 02-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Teching In

but as far ast the intercooler maybe thinkin of water to air i can get one for bout 700 which is a decenct price but i think precision makes a fairly new wg that is 46mm i think could be wrong but i will be order the turboin the next week or so so ill start posting more info and pics
Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

but as far ast the intercooler maybe thinkin of water to air i can get one for bout 700 which is a decenct price but i think precision makes a fairly new wg that is 46mm i think could be wrong but i will be order the turboin the next week or so so ill start posting more info and pics
Just curious, what kind of power are you looking to put down?
Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Teching In

any where from 550 to 700 on stock bottom end. im also building another ls1 motor when the guy gives it to me, but there alot i need to do before i build that motor like drivetrain and etc. but theres one in this area that is make like 730ish on stock bottom end so i figure it is with in reach.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

any where from 550 to 700 on stock bottom end. im also building another ls1 motor when the guy gives it to me, but there alot i need to do before i build that motor like drivetrain and etc. but theres one in this area that is make like 730ish on stock bottom end so i figure it is with in reach.
730ish is pushing it on the stock bottom end. I know some have done it, but man that 600ish mark is very dangerous with stock anything.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Teching In

hey jax04 is a good friend of mine i have been helping with the rear turbo build its alot of work but nothing to big that a standerd gear head cant handle so git in touch with him and he can help u with parts and a good place to find them as far as oil just fun a line back from the oil filter unit one tap is clean and it will be alot easyer than a stand alone tank.

Last edited by needls1bad; 02-09-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

hey bro, i just saw your thread today. I can help you out,

1. a stand alone oiling system is not a bad idea, but it is not cost effective. IMO.
2. Im using a 31x11x3 intercooler with 3" pipe. impossible to fit without removing crash bar its also an ebay unit.)
3. I will be looking to make around 500whp through the auto. Which is alot to ask for IMO. my turbo is quiet a bit smaller then yours though too. But im not tyring to push it to far.
4. If your dead set on that kind of power, you need to be looking into 72lb injectors with a "real" fuel system. IMO
but if your looking to stay in the 450 to 550 range a set of 60s will treat you right and give you room to grow

i hope ive helped some. if you have any questions, just drop by my thread and ask away, its open for questions
Old 02-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Teching In

i know 700 is pushing any stock motor but i really still want a streetable 650ish but i did get the ok to get that whole motor heads and all so as soon as i get it apart i will send it the the machine shop and let them do there magic but i think im gonna order my turbo tonight so ill will have pics up when i get it
Old 02-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Teching In

as injectors go my buddy is a dealer for efis but im gonna see what he can do

but do u really need a intercooler for a rear mount( not sure just askin) cus ive seen it done before but not on a gto
Old 02-09-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

YES, unless you are running alky, but if its one thing ive learned before, Never count on it. Run the intercooler bro, for 104 dollars delivered to your door, you really cant beat that insurance. Im using one, AND running e85.

Also, sts now sells there kits with intercooler i think. i wouldnt run without. If you go to RC engineering or whoever that is, they have a fuel injector calculator on there website.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Teching In

ya run and intercooler it is a must if u wana make any kind of power and not go boom
Old 02-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Teching In

yea i was figuring on running one but it was a thought lol but i was gonna run 1000cc injectors which i think is 100lbs injectors which is over kill lol
Old 02-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Teching In

i would say thats overkill just a lil
Old 02-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Teching In

just a bit lol
Old 02-10-2010, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

yea i was figuring on running one but it was a thought lol but i was gonna run 1000cc injectors which i think is 100lbs injectors which is over kill lol
With that kind of power you better look at a good fueling system. There are writeups of the double walbro on ls1gto that would be beneficial. And don't even think about running without an intercooler.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 05TurboCGM
With that kind of power you better look at a good fueling system. There are writeups of the double walbro on ls1gto that would be beneficial. And don't even think about running without an intercooler.
oh yea ive been looking and thought about the walbro setup and i am gonna run an intercooler my buddy is trying to talk me into a 4"1/2 core custom made for my car. but i think virginia speed is gonna tune it for not sure yet but i did put a deposit on my turbo last night
Old 02-15-2010, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

I agree with some of the things said in here and disagree with some,the interecooler can be run, with front crash bumper,just need to notch it,run an air to air ,not enough room in a street car for a WTA intercooler,crazy to even think of running a turbo car without one,id also put alky on the car as well,TUNE is the issue.. this will make or break you and your motor,i ran a stock ls2 on 13-16 psi for 3 years,so yes it is very attainable. post up if I can help,60lb inj are a must and those are fine for what you want to run,upgrade the fuel system to a twin intank setup return style is also a must.one pump runs all the time, second only in boost,set many of these up.I am doing a stock ls1 twin turbo 04 gto this spring,I am certain the car will run at least 10 psi,looking to run in the low 11s or high 10s range.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Teching In

so just got off the phone with a buddy of mine and we order a turbo a 76mm precision turbo with a billet wheel so here sneak peak of the one im getting hopefully this show up!!!
Attached Thumbnails turbo set-up-billet3.jpg  
Old 02-26-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Boom shaka laka

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...kit-gto-3.html

View pics....for intercooler location. This is a twin setup soo,.. not much help but, the intercooler works great like this without changing a whole lot and without cutting anything. We'll be about done tomorrow, as everything is coated and now wrapped. No notching of the bumper, ...

If your running a rear mount anything, you want an oil pump for the return. As far as the stoock bottom end handling 730rwhp, i'd say you can do that without problems. As long as you have enough fuel in the car, and a proper tune,... the sky is the limit. When I say stock bottom, I mean everything, stock. Change the heads/intake and camshaft... etc. ... good to go. The goat would need two intank pumps or a serious external like a magnafuel pro series.

You could ofcourse get a custom shorter length(but thicker/deeper) radiator, shorter fan setup, and have a bigass turbo out front, facing the front, cathing birds, small children and ****.

Quick Reply: turbo set-up