Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Thinking bout buying a GTO

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thinking bout buying a GTO

First of all i know that there has been 50 million Threads about the same thing.Being a former cts v owner and enjoyed the car except the rear end blowing out 3 times what are some of the common types of probs with the gto's.I have been on here for awhile but never posted anything but i see there is alot of good info being passed on here that's why i asked cause i knew someone would have some good input thanks in advance guys.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:01 PM

what are some of the common types of probs with the gto's
Biggest and most heard about issue with the GTO is strut rub. It dosent seem to affect everyone and for the ones it does, its usually a quick fix with some pedders.

Last edited by livebypassion; 02-16-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Teching In

It really depends on what you're looking for in a car. The GTO isn't quite a sports car; wouldn't necessarily compare it to a Corvette. I'd say that it's more of a GT car, quick, comfy and great at covering long distances at higher speed. I drove to Kansas City, MO straight in one shot and did so very comforatbly, lack of sleep was getting to me though.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:46 PM

Thumbs up

Ok apperciate it guys just looking for a quick car to do some lite street racing with nothing heavy to dump a lot of cash in.How well do these car's take staggerd wheel fitment?Would like to run a 20 in the back 19 up front.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

they tend to ear out rear tires prematurely. theres a fix for it.

overall its the best car ive ever owned.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by livebypassion
Biggest and most heard about issue with the GTO is strut rub.
That was seen mostly on 2004. For what you can pick one up for you really can't beat it. Its not the best for drag/road racing but with time and money it can be good at either.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MSUGTP
It really depends on what you're looking for in a car. The GTO isn't quite a sports car; wouldn't necessarily compare it to a Corvette. I'd say that it's more of a GT car, quick, comfy and great at covering long distances at higher speed. I drove to Kansas City, MO straight in one shot and did so very comforatbly, lack of sleep was getting to me though.
Amen to that. I just picked mine up this past Saturday. Drove it from Charleston, SC all the way to south of Tallahassee, FL. A good 6 hour drive and I didn't complain one time. I only stopped twice; once for gas and once for food.

It's just a big fast road car that's very fun to drive. I love how they're nice and solid feeling going down the road and the attention to detail on the interior is unlike any car I've ever been in.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:54 PM

Damn thats good gas mileage from s.c to Fl on one tank of gas? that's what im talkin bout.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Launching!

Can't beat the front seats. Most comfortable car I've ever driven. Parts are relatively cheap for the motor, there is a good aftermarket and some stuff is just now coming out, so its a good time to get one. They are probably one of the best kept secrets in the street world IMO.

Strut Rub can be an issue, but its easy enough to check and easy enough to fix. Take off your fuel rail covers and that should pretty much fix any issues with fuel line rubbing. The size of tires out back is limited but Mini Tub kits are available.

No deal breakers like the rear end of the CTS-Vs.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Teching In

I really do wish that our cars weight 500 lbs less. But at that point it would come to sacrificing the comfy seats that weigh a good bit and other bits and pieces that finish the car off nicely.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:37 AM

Question

Originally Posted by Fatbum
Can't beat the front seats. Most comfortable car I've ever driven. Parts are relatively cheap for the motor, there is a good aftermarket and some stuff is just now coming out, so its a good time to get one. They are probably one of the best kept secrets in the street world IMO.

Strut Rub can be an issue, but its easy enough to check and easy enough to fix. Take off your fuel rail covers and that should pretty much fix any issues with fuel line rubbing. The size of tires out back is limited but Mini Tub kits are available.

No deal breakers like the rear end of the CTS-Vs.
Ok so there is no wheel hop either like the cts v?Also how much do those minie tub kits cause?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Teching In

there is plenty of wheel hop with gto's. but upgraded rear suspension will fix that. even a simple fix such as drag bags will cure it. mini tub isnt the cheapest thing to do on these cars. what size tire are you trying to run that you would need a mini tub.

i think people have managed to out 285 up to 295's in the rear without a mini tub.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:07 PM

upgraded suspension like shocks and coilovers?Also would like to run a stagerd wheel fitmit on the back like a 20 and 19 up front or im i shooting for a hard thing to do with the goat?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

i love my gto! its my daily. Like others had said, best interior ever. Its super quiet at 80mph too
Old 02-17-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I could be wrong, but I don't believe you can get a 20" wheel under the car. 19" is the biggest I have seen and heard about.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wish gears were cheaper for our cars!!
love my GTO tho
Old 02-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Door lock buttons (or lack thereof) drive my crazy.

Other then that, I absolutely love it.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:24 PM

Thumbs up

Hey guys thanks alot for everybody's input really apperciate it.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTO Jimbo
Door lock buttons (or lack thereof) drive my crazy.

Other then that, I absolutely love it.
haha same here wtf! wonder wat the reason was to not add em
Old 02-18-2010, 07:19 AM
Teching In

20's will fit it has been done several times. but please dont do it. its just not a good look for a gto.

Originally Posted by 1904gto
haha same here wtf! wonder wat the reason was to not add em
yea it does sux that we dont have more of them! people try to get out of my car and always say something wrong with your door. so i got to the point when people ride with me i tell them not to touch anything!

Quick Reply: Thinking bout buying a GTO