Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Hydro locked my 04 goat last night....fabulous

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydro locked my 04 goat last night....fabulous

So as im only a little less then a mile from my house i happen to go thru this puddle that didnt seem that deep but had no other way around it so i went thru it real slow and when i made it out i heard some serious horrible sounds coming from engine, sure enough car stalls out and that was that. Had a mechanic check it out once we got it home and basically i blew the rod or crank thru the block of the engine. So when u add oil to it it just flows out of the engine from the bottom like a water fall. So i changed my K@N intake back to the original so that way the adjuster cant say that is why this happened especially since the K@N intake wouldnt of pulled as much water as the stock one but i didnt wana hear any **** from the insurance company. Also last week i put my new sport corsa exhaust on my car. Rims and tires were goin on within the month. So much for that now, now i gotta get a new engine and it better be a new one not a junkyard engine or one from a totaled gto. My car only hs 35000 miles on it so i dont want an engine that has double that. Any ideas on this shitty situation would be appreciated. TTYS
Old 03-14-2010, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

piece of advice number 1 -
don't post on a public place that you're changing parts to "fool" your insurance company.

If you don't get a settlement, I have one of those wrecked car motors that you're hoping not to have to use. I'll deliver it to LI if you want it - 40k miles.

mike
Old 03-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Make sure that you trust this mechanic doing the work. As your car is six years old, expect that they're going to pay for a used replacement engine. If you can get your mechanic to talk with someone that has a low mileage engine (ex. the guy above), go for it.

I was in your position back in 2002. My mistake was taking the car to the dealer (as it was only about five months old). The head mechanic made the asinine decision of rebuilding the engine, rather than simply replacing it with a new one. The result was me having to go to the dealer ~15 times for follow-on repairs before I finally just unloaded the car.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

My thoughts... that's a big fuggin puddle.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Did you cross the ocean in order to get that much water up the engine? I know my GTO isnt that low to matter through a puddle.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats the big deal about a used engine...? If someone rear ends a GTO hard enough, its considered a "total loss" because the price of the repairs are more than 50% of the value of the car. That does'nt mean that everything else on the car is junk. The insurance company isn't going to buy you an NEW engine anyway. Its not their fault you drove through a small pond.

Besides....If you went through a puddle deep enough to suck water into the intake of a gto.... You have a flood salvaged vehicle anyway.

Also.....If said puddle was so big....how did you not see it ??
Old 03-21-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id be happy im covered. thats an expensive repair.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dbprecision
Did you cross the ocean in order to get that much water up the engine? I know my GTO isnt that low to matter through a puddle.
It's a matter of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I was driving up a slight hill during a thunderstorm one afternoon down in GA. What was a slight film of water on the road one minute became what I would describe as a 12"+ wall of water the next. The car went from ~40mph to a standstill without me needing to apply the brakes. It was a one in a million incident that wouldn't have happened had I been at that exact place one minute earlier or later (the water was gone by the time I got out of my car).
Old 03-21-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

How deep was the puddle?!?!?!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:09 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2004 red gto
So as im only a little less then a mile from my house i happen to go thru this puddle that didnt seem that deep but had no other way around it so i went thru it real slow and when i made it out i heard some serious horrible sounds coming from engine, sure enough car stalls out and that was that. Had a mechanic check it out once we got it home and basically i blew the rod or crank thru the block of the engine. So when u add oil to it it just flows out of the engine from the bottom like a water fall. So i changed my K@N intake back to the original so that way the adjuster cant say that is why this happened especially since the K@N intake wouldnt of pulled as much water as the stock one but i didnt wana hear any **** from the insurance company. Also last week i put my new sport corsa exhaust on my car. Rims and tires were goin on within the month. So much for that now, now i gotta get a new engine and it better be a new one not a junkyard engine or one from a totaled gto. My car only hs 35000 miles on it so i dont want an engine that has double that. Any ideas on this shitty situation would be appreciated. TTYS
If I were you I would immediately delete this thread. Bob
Old 03-22-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

Link copied and emailed to all insurance companies. lol

J/K
Old 03-22-2010, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Bump

So said insurance company can read this.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Delete this. and PM me a pic of said puddle. I cant imagne how deep it must have been for a GTO to get hydro locked.

But after you get the settlement keep us updated lol.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by EPP Automotive Performance
If I were you I would immediately delete this thread. Bob
The amusing thing is that he was going to wind up paying for it one way or another (forking over deductible). The insurance company doesn't give two ***** HOW you hydrolocked it...just that you did.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

I'm willing to bet he has Safe Auto Insurance.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by STAGEUP
J/K
...but not really...
Old 03-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Teching In

I can see this easily done with a hardcore intake setup but that k & n sits way up in the engine bay.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 04qsgtoMA
I can see this easily done with a hardcore intake setup but that k & n sits way up in the engine bay.
Thats EXACTLY what im thinking
Old 03-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 04qsgtoMA
If by "hardcore"...you mean "filter on a stick"...then yes....that's what usually causes this (i.e. filter situated down in the bumper). The small gains that people see with those things are not worth the potential issues they can cause.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:05 PM

Actually im covered fully. Wont have to pay anything whatsoever and im getting a brand new engine, plus a new starter, rack a pinion, and whatever else is needed to be changed. Lucky enough i know a lot of people in this industry so i get my parts at cost or sometimes under cost. So yes i made out fantastic in this case. And yes the puddle was the size of a lake. I live on that road where the puddle was but never in my life has it filled up to the point where i blew my engine. It was one of those rare occurances that shouldnt of happened. Of course an hour after i went thru the puddle the town sent a truck there to pump out the water since i wasnt the only car that night to hydrolock an engine. But it turned out great thankfully. It really helps knowing a lot of people in the insurance and automotive industry for sure. And I hope whoever said they were posting this to an insurance company was joking....I actually had my heart stop for a second after reading that. Should have my car back by next week at the latest.

Quick Reply: Hydro locked my 04 goat last night....fabulous