Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

My newfound horsepower...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 04:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My newfound horsepower...

unfortunately, that horsepower is now forcing my tranny into an early retirement...

So I know I rarely come on these boards since I sold the camaro and bought a GTO, but I wanted to share some videos with all you fellow goat owners and maybe get some questions that I can't seem to get answered off the main forum I visit which is LS2gto.com. Some of you may know me from the event I held last year in Oceanside, Ca, at the former Saturn of West 78 dealership in which 200 plus of LS1tech.com's members participated in (over 400 cars showed up that day and we had to turn people away)

So here is the first thread with the story of whats going on with my goat so far.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361861

Second, is three videos of my goat on the dyno. The first video is a walk around of my goat. The second video is a N/A pull with the converter unlocked (wouldn't lock up). The third is a video of the Nitrous pull but I wished my brother would of got video of the dyno graph to show you what the hp/tq curves looked like. It was all over the place. It was a complete mess and once again the converter wouldn't lock and the nitrous was blowing through the converter. I know that the converter doesn't lock up at WOT but I wanted to see what the car put down with a locked converter just for personal satisfaction but that satisfaction never came...

Enjoy and please feel free to chime in with your opinion.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362179

Last edited by shawnmce; 04-09-2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:43 AM
TECH Resident

Wouldn't be a problem with an M6.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
Wouldn't be a problem with an M6.
??? You don't think at 550 rwhp it wouldn't be a problem? Are you serious? I know plenty of other goat owners pushing over 500whp on an M6 and they are finding themselves with a tranny that needs a rebuild. And then I know the ones that don't. Get real.

This is one of the most ignorant comments I've ever read. It matches your sig. You should put them right next to each other...
Old 04-09-2010, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shawnmce
??? You don't think at 550 rwhp it wouldn't be a problem? Are you serious? I know plenty of other goat owners pushing over 500whp on an M6 and they are finding themselves with a tranny that needs a rebuild. And then I know the ones that don't. Get real.

This is one of the most ignorant comments I've ever read. It matches your sig. You should put them right next to each other...
^^^ lmao
Old 04-09-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

You must know goat owners with faulty T56s or something if they are having problems at 500rwhp lmao
Old 04-09-2010, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Don't worry, he's just jealous because the fastest goats are autos. But who cares right?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Last edited by 06 6.0 GTO; 04-09-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: No need for this disarming phrase as i forgot this is ls1tech not ls1gto :)
Old 04-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Teching In

You must know goat owners with faulty T56s or something if they are having problems at 500rwhp lmao

Maybe you were in a bad mood when you wrote your first post in this thread, maybe not...

Maybe you think you know it all and then again maybe not. Maybe I took your post the wrong way, then again, maybe not...

Just out of my own curiosity, your goat is an M6 right? Are you putting over 500rwhp down to the ground and daily driving it? I'm not one to judge, but based on your sig, your either...(drum roll please)

A. Truly putting down over 500rwhp but can't drive to save your life and running a 13.0...whatever divided by 10+idiot factor=06 6.0 GTO in the quarter mile and this is proof of it.

OR

B. You do not know what its like to have a car that puts over 500whp to the ground. Front or rear wheel drive. I honestly doubt you could actually accomplish it in Forza or Grand Turismo. Nor will your ignorance ever allow you to accomplish the goal of putting 500whp to the ground because your a bench racer that just goes off what everyone else is reporting in magazines, forums, and word of mouth. And whats even more disappointing, is the information you gather (which you think you can use later to make yourself look smart and get the ladies) are from people that drive lawn mowers to work and can move their home with a simple hook up of a tow hitch. (Did this fly over your head? Need a minute to think about it?)

So which one are you? A OR B?

No matter, I simply came on this board to get INTELLIGENT input from fellow goat owners and I end up with the one bastard child who has to give an opinion, just to give an opinion.

Plenty of other goat owners in San Diego and around the world have transmission problems regardless if they are M6 or A4. Why don't you try visiting other forums besides the one where everyone just tolerates you?

You need to use common sense. Both the M6 and the A4 can only put up with so much abuse from day to day with well over 500hp running through them. There is A LOT more heat, A LOT more stress and A LOT more WEAR on them. The T56 is a good transmission but your insane to think it will put up with that much power for the rest of the cars life. Both transmission will only be able to put up with so much hard launching at a strip and street and roll races on the highways. (You probably prefer to roll race because you cant drive a manual in the first place. Want proof? Look at your sig again.)

Test what I said. Go to LS2GTO.com and do a search on the T56 and see what people have to say. A personal friend of mine who owns a goat himself, had to spend over 3000 dollars to repair the transmission (granted he put stronger parts in) and he was only putting down 473.8 to the wheels.

I have seen A4's barely putting 450hp to the ground and its time to retire the stock A4. I have also seen stock A4 transmissions run for 2 years straight with the exception of a 4000 stall converter/2.5 str, putting down over 650 RWHP which included a procharger and a 150 shot. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA what immense load is placed upon that A4 with that set up coupled to a relatively large converter? Do you even know how a torque converter works? Probably not because your so hung on the nuts of the M6, you think it's god. Or maybe you like holding long, cylindrical shaped objects in your hand. Or maybe not? You seem to make assumptions just because you feel you can...

I can make assumptions about you too right?

How about this, swing from the nuts of my A4 because right now, just based on your personal best time in your sig and your attitude, your M6 would be on its knees begging for forgiveness from my inferior A4 if we ever ran each other

Last edited by shawnmce; 04-09-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe a BOM goat has to be owned by someone like this...poor car

If you don't like what people say here talk to a performance shop....
Old 04-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Teching In

*Saw the Mods on the GTO forums*

My buddys vette puts down almost 800rwhp on a stock T56 the only thing he's had to pick up was a clutch an flywheel an we beat the crap out of it on weekends.

Last edited by JCamaro84z; 04-09-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
Hey im sure he got me good in that story he wrote about me(didnt bother reading as it looked kinda long) but i did read A and B points, no im not a 500rwhp gto that ran 13.0, im just a stock 06 M6
Old 04-09-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 05TurboCGM
Don't worry, he's just jealous because the fastest goats are autos. But who cares right?
ShawnMce thats who cares.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

To the OP, what were your hp/tq with the nitrous? I don't know if I missed that or if it wasn't posted. Also, how do you know the nitrous is "blowing through the converter"? I'm on my second 500+rwhp setup and on my stock stall(on this setup), stock tranny, stock drivetrain, and not having any issues getting the power through the tranny. I wouldn't necessarily blame the tranny on your issues. Did you buy the converter new or used? Who is tuning the car?
Old 04-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 05JUDGE
To the OP, what were your hp/tq with the nitrous? I don't know if I missed that or if it wasn't posted. Also, how do you know the nitrous is "blowing through the converter"? I'm on my second 500+rwhp setup and on my stock stall(on this setup), stock tranny, stock drivetrain, and not having any issues getting the power through the tranny. I wouldn't necessarily blame the tranny on your issues. Did you buy the converter new or used? Who is tuning the car?

Well, I originally posted about my torque converter but somehow all this turned into a fight over what transmission was better.

During the nitrous pull, the hp and tq curves were all over the place. The curves started out smooth and then went haywire. Basically 4 complete circles were made all over the graph until it hit 7200 rpms where it leveled out. If you click on any of the videos, you will be taken to my photobucket account where there's a video of a street run. You will hear the tranny slipping and see the effects of it on the rpm tach. With the converter locked, it's putting down around 550 rwhp. Cunningham Motorsports had done all the work on my car and they are good at what they do. It's just time for a new tranny. But like I said before, my issue is the torque converter not locking up on the dyno.

I believe where the real difference between your tranny and mine lay in the converter set up. Yours is stock so it's not punishing your tranny as much as my YankSS4000 is doing. If you look at the N/A pull, you will see where the converter flashes and it nothing but max power from that point on. Factor in the 100 shot and that tranny gets an almost immediate dose of highly severe punishment.

Last edited by shawnmce; 04-09-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS

If you don't like what people say here talk to a performance shop....
And vice versa. If you don't like what I say, you can go do the same!
Old 04-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Teching In

ShawnMce thats who cares.
??? Try to test the waters and rally them up! Let the internet wars begin!
Old 04-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JCamaro84z
*Saw the Mods on the GTO forums*

My buddys vette puts down almost 800rwhp on a stock T56 the only thing he's had to pick up was a clutch an flywheel an we beat the crap out of it on weekends.
Does this mean every single T56 will be able to do this? I didn't think so. I never once stated that the T56 wasn't capable of handling the stresses of 800rwhp. I simply stated that I have seen T56's fail with considerably less power.

Right here in this very thread, another A4 goat isn't having problems holding 500 plus rwhp, whereas mine is and there is video proof of it...

Some kind of fluke maybe? Whatever
Old 04-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Does this mean every single T56 will be able to do this? I didn't think so. I never once stated that the T56 wasn't capable of handling the stresses of 800rwhp. I simply stated that I have seen T56's fail with considerably less power.

Right here in this very thread, another A4 goat isn't having problems holding 500 plus rwhp, whereas mine is and there is video proof of it...

Some kind of fluke maybe? Whatever
you make a good point anything could happen you just try an hope your one of the lucky ones. Though turbo cars are easier on the trannys then spray cars so that could behis luck.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Well, I originally posted about my torque converter but somehow all this turned into a fight over what transmission was better.

During the nitrous pull, the hp and tq curves were all over the place. The curves started out smooth and then went haywire. Basically 4 complete circles were made all over the graph until it hit 7200 rpms where it leveled out. If you click on any of the videos, you will be taken to my photobucket account where there's a video of a street run. You will hear the tranny slipping and see the effects of it on the rpm tach. With the converter locked, it's putting down around 550 rwhp. Cunningham Motorsports had done all the work on my car and they are good at what they do. It's just time for a new tranny. But like I said before, my issue is the torque converter not locking up on the dyno.

I believe where the real difference between your tranny and mine lay in the converter set up. Yours is stock so it's not punishing your tranny as much as my YankSS4000 is doing. If you look at the N/A pull, you will see where the converter flashes and it nothing but max power from that point on. Factor in the 100 shot and that tranny gets an almost immediate dose of highly severe punishment.
I'm gonna give you my honest opinion based on my experiences. If you look at my sig and watch my 60-140mph accel video, you will see my old setup. I had a 427 stroker putting down almost 540rwhp N/A. My stall flashed to 5500rpms. Watch that video and you will see how my car shifted and how loose my stall was. With that kind of power you definately don't want your converter to lock up unless you're ready for a bomb under your feet. I think your problem is the converter and not your tranny. I've got 99k miles on my stock tranny and still going strong with my new setup.

After watching your road test video, I'd put my money on the converter. Again, I don't know if you got it new or used, but I'd say it's either worn out, defective, or not designed for nitrous. I would definately not recommend many WOT runs. When I had that converter with my 427, the tranny temp would get really hot every time I did a WOT run. If you do too many and don't let it cool down, you WILL ruin the tranny for sure.

Last edited by 05JUDGE; 04-09-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 05JUDGE
I'm gonna give you my honest opinion based on my experiences. If you look at my sig and watch my 60-140mph accel video, you will see my old setup. I had a 427 stroker putting down almost 540rwhp N/A. My stall flashed to 5500rpms. Watch that video and you will see how my car shifted and how loose my stall was. With that kind of power you definately don't want your converter to lock up unless you're ready for a bomb under your feet. I think your problem is the converter and not your tranny. I've got 99k miles on my stock tranny and still going strong with my new setup.

After watching your road test video, I'd put my money on the converter. Again, I don't know if you got it new or used, but I'd say it's either worn out, defective, or not designed for nitrous. I would definately not recommend many WOT runs. When I had that converter with my 427, the tranny temp would get really hot every time I did a WOT run. If you do too many and don't let it cool down, you WILL ruin the tranny for sure.
You know, I thought the same thing. I thought maybe the torque converter was defective but Ryne over at Cunningham Motorsports drove the car and did WOT runs N/A and Spray. He believes it's the transmission. I bought the converter brand new from Yank.

After watching the video a few times, I am starting to lean towards the idea of it being the transmission. If you watch the RPM gauge, the converter is holding typically where its suppose to be. (I know that the RPM gauge isn't the end all, be all, to the answer but its a good indicator). If you watch the MPH gauge, you can see it fluctuating in a manner not consistent with a good working tranny. I still have to account for tire spin, but it was brief and can be heard in the video.

Then again, I'm no expert at all this. I'm learning more and more everyday, and the best way to learn is through trial and error right?

There's another goat running around San Diego and it's also an A4 and this guy has been putting down 650+rwhp for the last two years and he runs it at the strip on a continuous basis and hasn't had a single problem with it.

Luck of the draw I guess.

Quick Reply: My newfound horsepower...