Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Surprised and Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surprised and Disappointed

So I've had the car for about 9 days now, and I finally got it up on a lift. To my surprise I discovered that I already have spintech mufflers welded in. They sound good and deep, so I had the exhaust shop just remove my resonator and weld in straight pipes, while keeping the spintech mufflers. Deleting the resonator did add some depth, but I had no idea these mufflers were so quiet. It sounds good when revving, nice and deep, and no rasp, but it is not loud at all. I know if I add an x-pipe, it will probably get even quieter. I've heard tons of soundclips on youtube, and the spintechs sound pretty loud and awesome, but mine seem super quiet. Not sure what kind of spintechs they are, but they are rectangle in shape, and maybe 8 inches long by 6 inches high. they're pretty small. Are they normally that quiet? Even full throttle sounds somewhat quiet, and doesn't get loud until the car redlines and shifts (auto).
Old 03-18-2011, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

Spintech is usually one of the loudest mufflers you can go with. Idk why yours would be so quiet. But then again all i have heard are you tube clips myself. I had magnaflows and they were very quiet and didnt get very loud until redlining too. Are you SURE they are spintechs? Because iv never heard a quiet gto with spintechs.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well heres the problem.

I'm assuming you're still catted and have stock manifolds..
Also, get an H pipe welded in.
What size pipe is used? 2.5" I'm assuming.

Which version are they. It should say something like "super pro streets" on the side.

Is it quiet inside the car (what you're hearing) or have you tried it outside?

Spintechs
http://www.californiaxtips.com/images/DSC00707.JPG
Old 03-18-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by impulsegoat
Spintech is usually one of the loudest mufflers you can go with. Idk why yours would be so quiet. But then again all i have heard are you tube clips myself. I had magnaflows and they were very quiet and didnt get very loud until redlining too. Are you SURE they are spintechs? Because iv never heard a quiet gto with spintechs.
all I see on the muffler is the word Spintech, therefore I'm assuming they are spintech. LOL

Originally Posted by gconnoyer
Well heres the problem.

I'm assuming you're still catted and have stock manifolds..
Also, get an H pipe welded in.
What size pipe is used? 2.5" I'm assuming.

Which version are they. It should say something like "super pro streets" on the side.

Is it quiet inside the car (what you're hearing) or have you tried it outside?

Spintechs
http://www.californiaxtips.com/images/DSC00707.JPG
Yea, the catback is stock piping with now a res delete and the spintechs. I didn't see pro street anywhere on them. I don't really care for the H pipe sound, I prefer the X. I'm not getting longtubes or the cats deleted. I just want the car louder, and not use my credit cards. HAHA
Old 03-18-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

also, to me, its super quiet in the car, I have not let anyone else drive it so that I could hear it, so maybe its louder outside. The deepness sets off alarms, but it isn't loud at all at least to me. I had a trans am with longtubes, ORY, and a powerstick, and my Lightning had an ORX and magnapacks. Both were loud as hell. I know I can't reach those levels without longtubes or a cat delete, but I think I can fart louder than these mufflers
Old 03-18-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

they don't say super pro street, but after going through spintech's website, the only mufflers that match the size of the ones on my car are the Super prostreets. These things are super tiny, and spintechs website says that they are 4x6x9, any other muffler on their site is bigger. The ones on my car have to be those
Old 03-18-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

just measured them outside. 4x6x9. damn
Old 03-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

i got a full spintech catback with headers on my car dude and i think it is super quiet but all of my friends tell me how loud my car is. i dont believe them but with so many people saying it they all cant be lying unless they all have it in for me haha. but if you go to the spintech website the mufflers that we have are designed for a quiet interior sound while having a loud exterior exhaust. so trust your friends im sure if you let someone drive it you will change your mind
Old 03-18-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jimmy2120
i got a full spintech catback with headers on my car dude and i think it is super quiet but all of my friends tell me how loud my car is. i dont believe them but with so many people saying it they all cant be lying unless they all have it in for me haha. but if you go to the spintech website the mufflers that we have are designed for a quiet interior sound while having a loud exterior exhaust. so trust your friends im sure if you let someone drive it you will change your mind
I'm thinking its because the mufflers are also so far back, maybe? My trans am and Lightning had the mufflers mounted about midway down the bodylength of the car and they were loud as ****/
Old 03-19-2011, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Im running straight pipe and mines LOUD.. maybe that would be your answer.. cut those out and see how you feel.. everyone loves mine that hears it.. worst thing that can happen is you dont like it and u put the spintechs back on.. at least u would have piece of mind.. just 2 more pennies..
Old 03-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

my mufflers im sure is right where yours are and maybe because they are so far back is why its not that loud inside the car, but my dad says he can hear me about a mile down the road when i leave the house and im not getting on it, rpm's are around 2. if you really want to find out how loud they are from the outside just let someone drive it down the road and back and see what you think and go from there.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

my mufflers im sure is right where yours are and maybe because they are so far back is why its not that loud inside the car, but my dad says he can hear me about a mile down the road when i leave the house and im not getting on it, rpm's are around 2. if you really want to find out how loud they are from the outside just let someone drive it down the road and back and see what you think and go from there.
I think thats what I"m going to do tonight. I did set off a few alarms coming home from work today, so maybe its louder than I think
Old 03-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

haha if your setting of alarms then yea im sure its plenty loud
Old 03-19-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

haha if your setting of alarms then yea im sure its plenty loud
i'm thinking that because its deeper that it doesn't seem as loud, but in reality it probably is
Old 03-19-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah bro, i had spintechs before the turbo projects, and they were def. loud as hell, of course my were mounted under the rear seats, (04') and dumped their as well.

They are also going back on as a street exhaust after my cut out, i miss them that much, Hands down the greatest sounding exhaust ever created!
Old 03-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

very true. i agree with you on that. i prolly went through 100 clips on youtube to find what i wanted outta my exhaust and when i heard spintech i fell in love
Old 03-20-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

i still haven't got to hear it yet. LOL.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your other vehicles aren't insulated as well as the gto that's why it sounds quieter inside to you. Also your Trans am had longtubes. I have Magnaflows on my Silverado and Spintechs on my gto and in the cab the Silverado is louder but from the outside the gto is louder. I love my Spintechs and IMO they are one of the best sounding mufflers for the gto. I have the full catback with x-pipe and the xpipe gives it a nice crisp sound. Have a buddy drive it so you can hear it from the outside.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slogoat
Your other vehicles aren't insulated as well as the gto that's why it sounds quieter inside to you. Also your Trans am had longtubes. I have Magnaflows on my Silverado and Spintechs on my gto and in the cab the Silverado is louder but from the outside the gto is louder. I love my Spintechs and IMO they are one of the best sounding mufflers for the gto. I have the full catback with x-pipe and the xpipe gives it a nice crisp sound. Have a buddy drive it so you can hear it from the outside.
yea, i just have the mufflers, and I'll be adding a magnaflow x before summer. I don't trust many of my friends as far as driving goes, so hopefully soon I'll have someone drive it.

Quick Reply: Surprised and Disappointed