Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

My friend is considering a GTO, opinions needed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My friend is considering a GTO, opinions needed!

I have a friend (honestly not me) that's looking to buy a "new" car. He wants something something that's somewhat luxurious with a good amount of power to boot so I suggested a GTO. I honestly don't know much about them myself other than than the 04's have the LS1 and the 05/06 models have LS2's, so I couldn't provide him with a good list of pros/cons for the car.

So GTO owners, I'm more than interested to hear what you have to say about your cars! Please let me know so I can forward this to him!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Launching!

29 views and not 1 opinion?
Old 06-04-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

get the GTO. i love mine to death and wouldnt trade it for anything.

pros: roomy, comfortable, easy to mod except for header on driver side is a dick, leather, can comfortably fit 2 adults in the back, pretty decent radio, might as well be true dual exhaust, and a few other things i can rattle off if you want

cons: key/ignition problems sometimes (check gto section sticky), 06's paint chips off door handles quite often, cant get more than a 9" 265 wheel/tire combo out back without rolling fenders or suspension upgrade, and one or two other things you can find guys complaining about on ls1gto.com

04's have smooth hoods and single exhaust coming out the left side of rear bumper. 05's have "ram" hood and "true dual" exhaust coming out the back bumer. 06's have the blacked out tail lights and an unlock button in the center consol unlike the previous 2 years. of course these descriptions are of cosmetically unmodded cars.

hope that helps.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

only other stock thing worth mentioning is the 06 has illuminated steering wheel controls.

I just bought my 06, and really couldn't be happier with it. Power for days, VERY smooth ride, 20mpg (no tune yet)... I really don't see how anyone could be unhappy with it.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up my 06 m6 cyclone grey about a month ago and i love it. It came with an intake and Corsa exhaust, sounds good so far and pulls very well. Its smoother than any f-body i've been in and gets pretty decent mpgs mid to high 20's. I got mine for under 20 grand with less than 34k on it. The differences between the 05 and 06's aren't very noticable to me, so either one would work in my opinon.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:36 PM

He wants to buy mine lol
Old 06-05-2011, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

^^Seems like every post you make has something about how someone should buy yours.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tuesday will be 7 years since I picked up my GTO. I've never been happier with a car. Of course over time it got "slower" (lol) and I've kept adding mods to her to keep the speed up. My 350 crank HP LS1 is now about 550 crank HP. I've had very few real issues with the car. I had a door lock actuator go out under warranty and that's the only time the dealer has seen it. Great comfort and adult muscle. I loved the car the first time I saw one at an auto show and wouldn't trade for a hood scooped, split dual exhaust LS2. The stealth of the car to me was a bonus. The little "Cavalier" stays under the radar of the authorities but she kicks butt when she needs to.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:11 AM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by impulsegoat
^^Seems like every post you make has something about how someone should buy yours.
Yeah, you'd think a for sale thread would be enough advertisement.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:08 AM
Launching!

All good info, thanks guys!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:11 AM

I guess I'll pitch in then ...

It's hard to beat the performance/bang for the buck with the GTO. It's not only a great muscle car, but a great cruiser as well. Perfectly 'streetable' in any occasion. It's the kind of the car that you drive to the track with as many people as you want with you, tell them to get out, run it, then drive everyone back home.

Stock the car has great power, but is soooo far from it's potential. The GTO is great starting point for any build. However my first suggestion has to be the suspension. Then headers/exhaust/tune. From there, the sky is the limit! ... But upgrading the stock suspension with quality parts (like from Pedders) completely changes the car.

My car has been extremely reliable and the build quality is fantastic. Like I said, for the money, it's hard to beat.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by svede1212
The little "Cavalier" stays under the radar of the authorities but she kicks butt when she needs to.
This.

Quick Reply: My friend is considering a GTO, opinions needed!