Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Questions! Thinking about jumping out of the LS4 and into a GTO 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions! Thinking about jumping out of the LS4 and into a GTO 6.0

Yep, I'm talking to a dealer about getting me a 2006 GTO. Its a manual, has 40k miles on it. He wants 20k, I'm trying to get him down to 18k out the door.

I love my Monte Carlo, but the 400hp RWD Manual sounds to sexy to pass up. A few questions:

How do you all like your GTOs?

Pros?

Cons?

Whats the gas mileage like?

Common problems?

Maintenance costs?

Tires cost?

Do they suck or are they awesome?

Are parts easy to find?

What does the performance market look like?

Do the transmissions last?

Has anyone here come from the LS4 world over to the GTO LS2 world?

Is there a better car out there for the price?

Insurance cost?

I hope I have the ***** to buy the car and hope to start chatting with you all soon!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Teching In

I'm about to be in the same position as you except I'm going to get out of my ls1. Like to hear the responses as well. The info about GTO's on hear is not as abundant as fbodys lol
Old 06-09-2011, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All my answers in red....

How do you all like your GTOs?

LOVE my car. I would probably only trade it for a handful of faster cars.

Pros?

Cons?
WEIGHT

Whats the gas mileage like?
6spd, 450whp, average about 19-20mpgs per tank....obviously not driving crazy.

Common problems?
The factory rear springs sag
The rear headrests sometimes tear because of the sun hardening the leather.
HEAVY lol

Maintenance costs?
Same as any other LS car....

Tires cost?
Well if you plan on sticking with the stock size, I think its the most common size available. LOL 245/45/17

Do they suck or are they awesome?
I love my car. I think its awesome.

Are parts easy to find?
Parts are easy to find.....are they cheap...not the GTO specific aftermarket stuff.

What does the performance market look like?
Since its the same platform as EVERY other LS car....its good. Any route you want to go to make power is available.

Do the transmissions last?
The 05/06's have the same transmission as the Z06's. The MN12.

Is there a better car out there for the price?
Thats only something you can decide.
Depends what you're judging it on really.

Insurance cost?
I'm 22 and pay $107/mo for full coverage.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

Have a 05 for a little over a year now. It is a auto and gets around 13-15 mpg i would say i dont drive it as a daily driver because of the gas mpg. The auto trans models all get this kind of mpg and the m6 gets the good mpg. That is the biggest con with the auto. Nice interior,handles well,gets alot of looks, small trunk,giant key. I live inside chicago and insurance is high on anything inside a big city. If i had to do it over again i would buy it again!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

The Bad

The auto's in the 04's are the 4l60E which suck and will go out (mine went down @ 67k). Glove box's usually end up sagging, Ignition cylinder commonly locks up, Door handles will chip, Biggest tire you can fit in the rear is 275-285 based on brand before you have to roll/cut rear fenders, aftermarket wheels in general for these cars are scarce, weight, very small trunk, biggest key iv ever seen, no interior lock/unlock switch on 04's & 05's, not much for cup holders, stitching in rear seats will tear from sun (as stated above), no oil pressure gauge from factory, heat soak seems to be horrid on the gto, no under the hood light, pretty expensive overall on parts.

The Good

Excellent interior (possibly best GM to date), comfortable, powerful, under the radar (good for < attention from the po po), 04's w/ ls1 have stock LS6 intake big +, Very Rare car huge + for me, Solid sound system w/ 6 disc cd changer & factory amp (8 speakers total 2 woofers in back dash), bigger 3.46 rear gear from factory, IRS (i happen to like, some guys hate it), See one on the street and instantly know it means business V8 only vs possible V6 w/ others have to check badges or whatnot i.e. camaro,trans am, firebird, mustang,G8,charger, excellent factory gauge display w/ secret menu that not all know about, excellent stock headlights/fogs/highbeams imo, factory 05-06 exhaust flows very well, can seat 4 comfortably, can get pretty nice gas mileage 23-26 range highway, 04's have Australian ecu that has "lean cruise" enabled to be tuned in = 10-15% better gas mileage, plenty of little weight reduction choices, factory stereo swaps out for aftermarket w/o any special wiring harness to adjust factory amp another huge + for me, Handles decently well, makes 120+ feel like nothing compared to an F-body, Just an overall nice ride that most owners fall in love with.

P.S. I'm 25 and only pay $81 per month for full coverage on insurance another great plus. Hope this bored rant helps.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Awesome, thanks for all the responses!!

Deal number 1 fell through, the guy wouldn't drop his price a dime! Now i'm asking a few other dealers.

What kind of fuel does it take? Premium I take it?

And maintenance costs...pretty normal I'd guess? Nothing like $100 for an oil change?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Premium for fuel. Like 50 for an oil change.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

rear suspension does wear out tires which sucks. it can be upgraded though.

overall theyre very nice cars and LS2s are great motors.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

I love my 05. Yep rear sags but who cars any way you should change suspension because stock sucks way to soft for that much weight. Thats the first thing I would do. first make this car handle than add power to it :-D
Old 06-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Teching In

How big of a job is it to change the suspension? Cost?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

depends how far you want to go, are you buying part new or used and are you waiting for good promotions :-D it can cost you from $700 to 20K :-D but to do basic stuff so your car will fill like car not boat you will be able to get under 1K :-D probably even less.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

http://www.kollarracingproducts.com/ I would start here :-D
Old 06-13-2011, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Talk to Andy he will hook you up with good stuff with good prices. Tell him what you expect from your car and he will tell you what you need. If you want to AutoX just go with Kings Springs :-D
Old 06-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Launching!

I got mine 2 1/2 months ago. I love it! The wife is not even into cars at all, and as soon as she took it to work, she fell in love! Soemone who doesn't even care about cars loved it. My 2005 I got for $11k, it has been in an accident. Alignment and camber is bad, rear springs need replacing as well as RR bushings. Rear seats are torn on top. However, I seriously love this car! I have an A4 and can not wait to drive it. It's not a DD as I have a company van, but I will do the most pointless stuff to drive this car. I have raced and hung with a new 5.0 Mustang and pulled on a Trans-Am that has run 13.1 at 106, and did it in a car I don't see everyday with such a crazy comfortable interior ( I drove 17.5 hours back home straight through when I bought it, then once I got home, I showered and drove around the city lol). Everyone I have shown the car compliments the interior and the sound. I know their are many other cars that handle better, but even with my suspension problems, it handles good enough to be very fun, and the power on tap is crazy good. My goal was to get a decent mileage car at the lowest price possible. I spent 11k for a 62k mile 2005. And I love it so much I wish I would have gotten a car with 30k or less miles...Maybe the joy will fade, but it is a sick car to own, there is no doubt about it
Old 06-14-2011, 06:21 AM
TECH Veteran

I love to hate my car...
Old 06-15-2011, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

i get 19 mpg with a stalled auto and 3.91 gears ,i live in the ruaral south not a lot of stop and go stuff.
some parts are high priced some are just std off the shelf .
i put drag bags in the rear springs as a first mod and dont have the rear spring issue .
i have had the car for 6 years now ,and still love it .
Old 06-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Do it, I went from a Cobalt SS to a GTO. I have an Cammed M6 and get 400 miles a tank on the freeway. Stop light to stop light...... not so much.

Quick Reply: Questions! Thinking about jumping out of the LS4 and into a GTO 6.0