Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO vs.Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down GTO vs.Trans Am

GTO vs.Trans Am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not to start any wars on here, but very disappointed with the look of the new GTO. And what the heck is with that wimpy exhaust exiting only on one side? C'mon......if you're gonna bring back the GTO name, then make it LOOK like it goes Mach 5 standing still........where are the sexy lines like the 4th gen Firebird/Trans Am? No hood scoops, side vents, nice spoiler, etc? I think Pontiac will be in for a shocker if something isn't done when the new Mustang debuts......until then, I'll keep my '99 T/A(even WITH high mileage)with the hopes that Pontiac will wake up, or even have SLP have their own version. By the way, I'm obviously not the only one who feels this way according to the salesman who tried to sell me one......it's just the exterior HAS to match the powerplant AND the name badge. Interior wise, probably the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in, nice layout, etc............PONTIAC, are you LISTENING?
Old 02-26-2004, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hotrodflpd2
GTO vs.Trans Am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not to start any wars on here, but very disappointed with the look of the new GTO. And what the heck is with that wimpy exhaust exiting only on one side? C'mon......if you're gonna bring back the GTO name, then make it LOOK like it goes Mach 5 standing still........where are the sexy lines like the 4th gen Firebird/Trans Am? No hood scoops, side vents, nice spoiler, etc? I think Pontiac will be in for a shocker if something isn't done when the new Mustang debuts......until then, I'll keep my '99 T/A(even WITH high mileage)with the hopes that Pontiac will wake up, or even have SLP have their own version. By the way, I'm obviously not the only one who feels this way according to the salesman who tried to sell me one......it's just the exterior HAS to match the powerplant AND the name badge. Interior wise, probably the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in, nice layout, etc............PONTIAC, are you LISTENING?
No offense but the TA isnt coming back man, stop being close minded. I think the new GTO grows on you after awhile, I like it.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DANS LS1
No offense but the TA isnt coming back man, stop being close minded. I think the new GTO grows on you after awhile, I like it.

Actually, not to create a riot, but there are rumors of the Camaro/Firebird coming back in 2007........but, just rumors for now. And believe me, I had all intentions of buying the new GTO, but like I stated, you have to be able to pick the car apart from the everyday, ho-hum crowd/traffic........no offense!
Old 02-27-2004, 12:07 AM
Launching!

Im with HotRod on this one... the car needs a more musclecar look. It really looks like a family car to me, a lot like the GrandAm or something. i think that someone could make them look good but I dont think there would be a body kit or anything that could give it the muscle car or even sports car look.

I do like it, but I wish it looked "fast."
Old 02-27-2004, 07:38 AM
Teching In

Yeah, the look of a car is so subjective. If the GTO gets a body kit, scoop, etc. Pontiac will get all kinds of flack for "too much cladding". You can't keep everyone happy. I think F'body guys like a more "in your face" style (WS6 folks, anyway) That's not a bad thing or a good thing....it's just a preference. My take on the GTO is that the stock wheels stink but the overall lines are pretty good. The front end looks like the 97-03 GP and in my book that's not bad. Of course, I'm running a '00 GTP BLK/BLK Coupe and kind of like the look...
Old 02-27-2004, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey, thanks for last years arguments!

Sincerely a F-Body and GTO owner!
Old 02-27-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Well FWIW I've owned 3 V8 Firebirds with the most recent being a 1998 TA that I bought new and have since put 100K miles on. Even if Pontiac brings back the TA on an updated platform with modern looks, more refinement and even more performance I probably still would not buy it as my tastes have matured (or more accurately "changed") a bit in the last 3 years. I'm 30 years old now, have a mortgage, a Fiancé and a 65 pound Golden Retriever. While I still enjoy my Trans Am it doesn't really fit my lifestyle anymore, and additionally my financial outlook has changed in the last few years and I can now afford quite a bit more. Cars like the M5/M3, S4, C32/C55 etc are more where I see myself in the next 12 months, or possibly even a a SUV and a fun car. The demographic for the TA is still there but the people that fit that demographic will move in and out of it as their life changes. Pontiac is targeting people in a different category with this car.

I am however disappointed by the car. My hope was that Pontiac would offer a real M3 competitor at a $15K price savings much as the CTS-V is a M5 or Jag S -Type R for a $15K price savings. Sadly an M3 competitor the GTO is not and until Pontiac creates a new service department and more upscale dealer network I don't see myself returning to their fold any time soon.

What the GTO needs to attract someone like me is more upscale styling, and less weight. I'm fine with interior...disappointed with the trunk space... and asleep when looking at the exterior. It doesn't need Scoops spoilers and more tacked-on aggression in my opinion, rather I would like for it to look more sophisticated... dare I say, more like a $30K car. Take a look at the new G35 for instance, it looks sporty and aggressive without the clutter of scoops and wings, and it also looks like a luxury car. Same with the E46 M3.

Just my two cents, and to cap it off I will say that at least Pontiac has something in this segment, but it's still not enough to get me to buy.

-Adam
Old 02-27-2004, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Wow, nevermind I found my next car!

ooooh....500hp chills!

Now, I'll just have to morgage the house, and sell everything else I own to buy it
Old 02-27-2004, 10:34 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with everyone Adam said. After my test drive of the GTO, I would only consider buying one used, maybe in a couple years. They are definitely bland looking among many other cars on the road, they don't look like a $30K car in my opinion. Nice interior, nice powertrain, nice tranny, but the rest is lacking.

But, I do love that it is LS1/T56/RWD. I'd still drive one, but I wouldn't sell my SS Convertible to get into one.

Tony
Old 02-27-2004, 10:53 AM
Teching In

I am in the same boat as Adam, My TA does not fit my lifestyle anymore. (29 Yrs old) I looked long and hard at a GTO but could not bring myself to purchase one.(cost lack of options, sunroof?) My thought is to wait a year, pay off my TA and purchase a CTS. (same price range) Keep the TA as a weekend cruiser for around town.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:34 PM
TECH Veteran

I looked at buying a new car in 2001, 2002 and the Firebird was high on my list. I took quite a few of them out for a test drive looking for a deal. They were about the same price as the new GTO.

Ultimately, I decided not to get one because it simply wasn't a $30k+ car, and it wasn't the type of vehicle I could see growing with me and my needs in the next five years or more.

The exterior gaps varied on every one of them, some of them had misaligned body panels and so fourth. The interior trim and assembly was shoddy. Pontiac Sunfire shoddy. The engineering was about the same as well, like the huge hump in the passenger side floor pan, and lack of usable trunk space. The structure of the cars brand new groaned and fussed over rough and uneven roads, the seats were fairly comfortable but not well bolstered. I liked the styling of the car, minus the silly ram air hood (I prefer the regular hoods).

Compared to what else I could buy for $30k (foreign and American), or even used GM performance, it wasn't a great deal at all.

The Firebird simply wasn't a car I could live with every day, and insurance for a young guy like myself was more than I wanted to pay.

In the end, my Grand National is a superior car to it in every way, and I've been hoping for years GM would release a large, roomy, well trimmed, coupe muscle car in the spirit of the original Chevelle, GTO, Gran Sport, and 442.

Well friends, that car has arrived. It's the 2004 Pontiac GTO, and it's everything I've been wanting in a muscle car for years and then some.

The styling isn't perfect, but there's nothing wrong with it either really. It's a very handsome car, and doesn't look or scream juvenile like the Firebird did. The original GTO (and large GM muscle cars) were the same way, they were a gentleman's muscle car.

Soon I will have both a pristine 1987 GN in my driveway, and a new GTO.

Thank you Bob Lutz and Holden.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:27 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually, the rear trunk space on the GTO is worse than an f-body. At least the seats fold down on an f-body, giving you tons of space. Pontiac had to move the fuel tank into the trunk on the US GTOs, while in Australia they are located under the car still, providing a huge trunk. Maybe some GTO buyers will purchase the Aus. version of the fuel tank and convert them back to keep the space. I would
Old 02-28-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

I would rather have my subdued/stylish camaro....
Old 03-02-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Regular

LOL the gto doesn't look like a 30k car...As much as I have pissed and moaned about this milk toast ride, its quality seems far above my T/A which was over 30k
Old 03-02-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JCS30TH
LOL the gto doesn't look like a 30k car...As much as I have pissed and moaned about this milk toast ride, its quality seems far above my T/A which was over 30k
I wouldn't have paid over $30K for a firebird either. Got my TA in 1998 for $23K new (GMS). Toward the end the price of the TA had pushed it out of it's demographic. Heck when I first got out of high school I was just able to afford a then new (third gen) Formula on minimum wage. Car prices have risen so fast that there is no way someone just out of school can even think of a new car much less a V8 Pony Car now.

-Adam
Old 03-02-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

I am 36 years old with a wife and 3 kids. A nice house and a Van. I am at the point in my life that I want something for ME. My tastes have matured. But I still want the power of a V8. The Firebird was my favorite car since 1967. Many of the cars on the road that are sporty fall into the 'yuppy' or young 'ricer' styles. I am of the mind that I want it to be a toy that I will love to play with and make better.
I do not see a BMW 745 being that or a Subaru WRX or a Mustang Cobra. It is a Firebird. I have had the trucks and vans and luxury cars. The luxury cars can wait until I feel old and need something soft to cushion those little bumps in the road.
Give ME a solid suspension and big engine with rear wheel drive and a open road!
As for SUV's, I love those too as well as the BMW 745 and my ultimate is a RS6 Audi for 85,000 which I still cannot afford. An SUV is nice for off road conditions or snow otherwise another relatively plain ride.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:22 PM
Banned

I guess you can have too much or too little body cladding.
Everyone bitchs that GM doesn't have a V8 RWD sedan well now they do and so many people give it such a harsh opinion.

As adam said earlier hes grown out of his TA but GTO fits that well, its plenty more versitile and has the best interior in any GM car. The GTO is the car that anybody could use and still enjoy 350hp 6speed and RWD. And the comment earler about the exhaust, unlike the fbody the GTO has TRUE duals. Would make you happier if I just tack welded another exhaust tip to the other side cause that basically sums up 80% of cars with dual exhausts including Fbodys.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fullfloatingHD
I guess you can have too much or too little body cladding.
Everyone bitchs that GM doesn't have a V8 RWD sedan well now they do and so many people give it such a harsh opinion.

As adam said earlier hes grown out of his TA but GTO fits that well, its plenty more versitile and has the best interior in any GM car. The GTO is the car that anybody could use and still enjoy 350hp 6speed and RWD. And the comment earler about the exhaust, unlike the fbody the GTO has TRUE duals. Would make you happier if I just tack welded another exhaust tip to the other side cause that basically sums up 80% of cars with dual exhausts including Fbodys.
Mechanically is seems awesome. The body appearance looks plain. Call it maturing or whatever. It still looks plain. Actually, it kinda looks like a cross between the Grand Prix and cavalier. I think the Grand Prix is the better looking just does not have rear wheel.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ActionJack
still looks plain.

Plain.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

GTO still looks plain. Still looks like a bigger cavalier with a Grand Prix front end or Grand Am. Does not speak fast or aggresive. It speaks plain.

Quick Reply: GTO vs.Trans Am